It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board

• Scary symptoms after fracture being ignored by ER/Primary/Surgeon

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
    Phishcuits
    (female)

Phishcuits HB User
    Scary symptoms after fracture being ignored by ER/Primary/Surgeon

First I want to say I am glad I found this board I also want to apologize in advance for such a long winded post. Lots has happened to lead me here. I also understand that this is not to be a replacement for medical treatment. I am a very light smoker who is trying very hard to quit but it is not so easy with so much stress in my life. I rarely drink alcohol.

On 1/11 I slipped in my driveway and broke/dislocated the proximal humerus on the right side. Trip to the ER and the surgeon on call decides that because the ball of my shoulder is not to far out of place that emergency surgery is not necessary. Later in the week I meet my surgeon and he was shocked that I was not operated on when I first came to the ER. He gets me in for surgery on 1/20. So for nine days I was in the most excruciating pain of my life. Taking a shower required an extra dose of pain killers not taking my sling off and my BF helping. I was also told that I could sleep without the sling on but literally the slightest movement while slingless caused my arm to butterfly out and I would scream.

On the morning of 1/20 I had an ORIF and a plate and screws were placed to repair the break. The surgeon came out and said it went well and then left. My mom came to see me and tried to get me a blanket because I was freezing and the nurse would not let her because she said I was completely drenched in sweat when I came out of surgery. Also at that time we noticed my lips were very blue and they stayed that way for three days post op.

In the evening once home I settled in with my aircast and lots of pillows I was just dozing off and I felt a pop in my right arm near the incision site, that pop turned into a flutter that went up my arm and down into my chest. I experienced a lot of numbness and tingling on my right side including inside of my mouth on and off for the next few days. I called the surgeons office and was told it was normal. I also begin noticing blood in my tissue every time I blew my nose for the first week post op.

At my first post op appointment a week and a half later I began experiencing extremely rapid heart beat, a feeling of impending doom and chest pains. My surgeon pretty much laughed at me and said nothing was wrong. My BF thought that maybe I was having withdrawal symptoms since I had been on heavy duty pain killers for almost a month and I just stopped them. When we got out to the car I called my primary and the triage nurse told me to go to the ER immediately so they could check for a blood clot.

At the ER they did an EKG which was normal and they did ultrasound/cat scan to check for clots. While hooked up to monitors my heart rate was extremely high. The main doc came in and said I had an anxiety attack and he kept asking if I had medication at home. I did but I was not there for medication. I also do have anxiety and have had a panic attack before and this anxiety feels nothing like that. I do not feel in any way shape or form that I am having one during these episodes....the anxiety I feel during this the feeling like I am about to die or pass out.

Ever since then I have felt this full/heavy feeling in my upper abdomen and now my left shoulder has started to ache as well. I also have been having times where I sweat profusely and then it stops as suddenly as it starts. My BF will be cuddling with me and all of a sudden he will be soaked because I was sweating just sitting there watching TV. Two nights ago I woke up with the strangest feeling heart burn I have ever had and I still have it, I have not eaten anything that would cause it. Also I rarely sleep anymore and when I do I wake up soon after I doze off. Tonight I began experiencing jaw pain while we were out to dinner and my arms keep tightening up like they want to give up on me.

I have been trying to get in with my primary and there just are not any appointments, each time I call they refer me to the ER but the ER looks at my chart and immediately assumes I am having a panic attack. They will not listen to me. I don't know what to do. I am so sorry for this long post I just don't know how to make them listen. Thank you for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread