It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board

Ranexa?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
arihalli
(male)

arihalli HB User
Ranexa?

I have had a heart attack 15yrs ago.

I have a closed Right Coronary Artery but have developed decent collateral circulation.

My new cardiologist is recommending Ranexa and Imdur even though i rarely have angina.

Has anyone any experience with Ranexa? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Voxx976
Veteran
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User
Re: Ranexa?

No experience with Ranexa, some experience with isosorbide (didn't like it) and LOTS of experience with angina.

Given that these drugs prevent, or are SUPPOSED to prevent, angina attacks, I think it seems silly for a person with rare angina pain to take these meds daily. The situation might be different for someone having frequent attacks.
(The Imdur is really a silly drug because you quickly build a tolerance to nitrates and it becomes ineffective in as little as a single day.)

I preferred carrying around a spray bottle of nitro to use as needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Voxx976 For This Useful Post:
arihalli (11-24-2014)
Old 01-18-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
VJ22
(female)

VJ22 HB User

Hi Arihall,

Here's my husband's experience with Ranexa.
He's had bad angina since his quad bypass 30 yrs ago (no heart attack). Just lately had an artery opened fall of 2015. Persistant angina again and many nitro pills not working very well. New cardiologist prescribed Renaxa Nov 25th, 500mg 2X daily. He started out with 1 daily and didn't get to 2 daily. Seemed to work well but came home from work in December with off and on dizziness.
This Last Friday he experienced the room Swirling around him and a sharp squeeling in his ears! He was so scared. He couldn't get out of bed. He said he thought he was dying, then he thought is it an anxiety attack? We didn't know never had them.
I typed into google search 'Renaxa Side Effects' and got this Common side effects of Ranexa include dizziness; spinning sensation; nausea; vomiting; stomach pain; constipation; headache; dry mouth; weakness; ringing in your ears;
That's what he had. He's back at work after 3 days home, No more dizziness, etc. He stopped taking the pills and will be seeing his doctor.
The pills DID WORK to ease the chest pain but clearly, not tolerated by his body.

Best Regards to you and all at Health Boards!

Old 01-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
Kathlyn47
(female)

Kathlyn47 HB User

Hi Arihalli,

This past Dec. I was admitted by an ER doctor to the cardiac unit of our local hospital for observation. I had been experiencing angina daily for a week and just couldn't get rid of it with nitro tablets (this would happen frequently during 2015 always coming on about 3-4 PM every afternoon and subsiding by bedtime.). All the tests showed that the blood was flowing well through my 3 stents and that I had not had a heart attack. The hospitalist diagnosed me with Chronic Angina and released me on 500 mg. of Renexa twice daily. My first week's impression was, "Wonderful! I'm cured". No such luck. It gradually diminished in effectiveness and by the time I saw my own cardiologist a few weeks later he told me to discontinue its' use. I asked if he would double the dose because. I had read that it could be taken in a strength of 2,000 mg. daily. He said no because studies showed that if it did not work at 1,000 mg daily, doubling the dose would not be effective.

I am still on my .06 nitro patch daily and pop the nitro pill frequently as usual. Because I have hypotension I cannot take calcium channel blockers nor beta blockers becase they have hypotensive agents compounded in which only lower my BP more.

However, since the first of this month I have found if I fix myself a glass of wine or a vodka tonic and sit down and read or watch TV when I feel the angina coming on in the afternoons, it quietly subsides and I am angina free the remainder of the day.

I am new to the forum so if any one has a suggestion please respond.

Thank you.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #5
Bfunderburk
(female)

Bfunderburk HB User

I have been on 1000mg of Renexa twice a day for three months and it has work great for my angina systoms

Old 02-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
Voxx976
Veteran
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfunderburk View Post
I have been on 1000mg of Renexa twice a day for three months and it has work great for my angina systoms
Is ranolazine available as a generic?

Closed Thread