It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Tips Message Board

• My Suggestions For Anxiety, Panic and Obsessive Thoughts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #31
    SteveGn
    (male)

SteveGn HB User
    Re: My Suggestions For Anxiety, Panic and Obsessive Thoughts

Stepper, LiannC, and Shorebird, Sorry for the delay in replying. You are all very welcomed and I'm truly glad I could be of help.

LiannC, I was thinking about a couple of things while I was on the road that I thought may be useful and will be posting them probably early tomorrow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #32
    SteveGn
    (male)

SteveGn HB User

I was thinking about “distractions” the other day, in regards to warding off panic, and wanted to share my opinion on them, as well as what worked for me.

When I was really struggling with my panic disorder, I felt that, in the long run, relying only on some sort of distraction to ward off a panic attack, was only a temporary fix. I knew that I needed to eventually learn to “just be” through practicing mindfulness in order to get more permanent results. However, in the early going when my nervous system was in a very sensitized state, the onset of panic would mean needing to resort to distracting myself with whatever means was available at the time. I also felt that if I had a distraction that I could rely on, then the reassurance and confidence that it could give me would help prevent a panic attack from even reaching the beginning stages, which, in turn, would give my nervous system a chance to start returning to normal. The practice of “just being” would then be easier to accomplish.

I had various means of distraction such as grabbing a golf club and going outside and hitting balls into a field nearby (I still consider myself a golf instructor, among other things, and would concentrate hard on my technique), or picking up my guitar which I bought solely for distraction purposes (still can’t play the thing though, and haven‘t touched it in months). I also had an electronic memory game that forced me to concentrate hard. Yoga worked well as long as I really focused on the correct form. The problem I had with these distractions was that I couldn’t use them in all my daily situations, and I didn’t want to have to lug the memory game around with me all the time.

A distraction that I eventually found that not only distracted me more than any of the others, but I could also have it available at any time, was a variation on tongue twisters. I’m sure it all sounds a little silly, but it sure worked well for me. You’ve probably heard of the Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers….. (or something similar to that). Well the variation that I added to it was to pick a letter of the alphabet and start putting a sentence together starting most of the words with that letter. It became more of an exercise in concentrating on finding an appropriate word, instead of speed and trying not to get tongue tied. I also would mentally visualize the sentence and the blank space where the next word would go. The visualizing part was very important for me because it replaced the thoughts and images that were causing me panic, as well as forced me to concentrate harder, which was the whole point behind the distraction. If you try this, I wouldn’t get too concerned if the sentence doesn’t make a whole lot of sense - forcing your concentration is the key.

Does anyone have any distractions that have worked well for them that they would like to share?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #33
    XAoPillz
    (male)

XAoPillz HB User

just posted a thread titles coping method(music)...music is my way of distracting my mind from the anxiety feel so that my nerves will calm down...and therefor avoiding the anxiety attack.

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-03-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #34
    LiannC
    (female)

LiannC HB User

Cool thanks Ill be looking for it

Old 04-03-2007, 12:11 PM   #35
    tnmomofive
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tnmomofive HB User

Yes distractions are a good way to help ward off anxiety/panic.If I am driving down the road and start to feel the symptoms I will turn the radio up a bit put my window down some and sing with the music.If I am at home sometimes I just find something to do there is ALWAYS something to be done here anyway even if it's just cleaning something.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:02 PM   #36
    shorebird
    Veteran
    (male)

shorebird HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveGn View Post
    I was thinking about “distractions” the other day, in regards to warding off panic, and wanted to share my opinion on them, as well as what worked for me.

When I was really struggling with my panic disorder, I felt that, in the long run, relying only on some sort of distraction to ward off a panic attack, was only a temporary fix. I knew that I needed to eventually learn to “just be” through practicing mindfulness in order to get more permanent results.
    Hi Steve,
    I just wanted to reaffirm what you had to say above. I used distraction for years and like you said it was useful but in the end I learned it was counter productive to achieving my long term goals. Learning to live in the moment and take things as they come is a much better strategy in my opinion.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:33 AM   #37
    paxo
    (male)

paxo HB User

Hi SteveGN and others

Steve, i have sent many to your first post over the last month.Thanks!

I agree with shorebird "Learning to live in the moment and take things as they come is a much better strategy" in the long run.

However, I have found the following still helpful at times in warding off panic and intrusive thoughts mainly at night when the dark thoughts come:

What I do is to visualize any scene in my head in slow motion. In fact slower than slow motion - a frame or two at a time yet fluid. It could be making a cup of tea, walking out the gate or opening a letter...... Doing this seems to relax the mind a great deal. its something i just 'discovered' myself but perhaps some have already used it

Another similar approach is that i choose three freinds (i suppose they could be Celebrities) who have slow controlled voices and i visualize a conversation between them say in a pub or round a cozy fire late at night, on any subject - films, food...love.. and 'listen' to what they say (it doesnt matter what they say i just let the conversation ramble in good humour). It's their pedestrian, slow manner that slows me down and distracts me and stops my brain from frying. I love doing this approach.

One great distraction is a song rather than poetry in my head. The melody is self perpetuating so requires no effort to remember. Every now and than i will think about a verse (that's important) for some seconds and its meaning, then continue.

Also, if I do recite bible verses/poetry or a simple proverb (two many cooks...none so blind as....) i will break them down and think about their meaning. I find this much better than just reciting as reciting doesnt distract or engage the brain in something else.

Listening to outside noises in the street ( not analyzing them) and just let them float in and out of my mind is also a distraction and helps me to sleep

We are all different but I throw these in the pot and hope some also may find them a relief. They may be of no use to some.

Paaxxxxx

Last edited by paxo; 04-22-2007 at 08:28 AM.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #38
    shorebird
    Veteran
    (male)

shorebird HB User

Paxo those are really interesting suggestions, and especially the first couple. I am thankfully beyond this point currently in my recovery but if I was not I would certainly give them a try as they seem like they would be very helpful and I think many will benefit greatly from your post

Old 04-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #39
    SteveGn
    (male)

SteveGn HB User

paxo, I agree with shorebird concerning your suggestions, and I also especially like the first two since I practice keeping my movements slow, or at least unhurried, as a part of my mindfulness practice. Like shorebird, I haven't had to use any distractions in awhile, but will keep your suggestions in mind. Thanks.

By the way, thanks for telling others about this thread. Hopefully, they'll be helped by all of our suggestions.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #40
    Aileen7
    (female)

Aileen7 HB User

Good to see this thread is still active. I have not been signed on for awhile but had some down time this weekend and decided to check back in. I'm doing really well and continuing to make progress doing my tea forms and learning to live in the moment. I'm getting better at not having to use distractions but the ones mentioned above are really good. I always remind myself to slow down too.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #41
    Bobee123
    (female)

Bobee123 HB User

Hi, I am new to this board and reading this post makes me feel 1,000 times better. After moving to NYC I have developed panic disorder, and today was a very bad day I have been doing better lately, but today for some reason I had a panic attack on the subway. Luckily I have been going to a therapist, and she recommended mediatation, so that worked and I was able to gain control before causing a huge scene on the subway.

I also took Steves advice and bought vitamins (with full magnesium!) and they also suggested Rhodax, has anyone heard of this? What do you think?
    One thing that is helping for me ALOT is being open about my panic attacks and anxiety. I used to be so embarassed, part of the have social phobia as well, but I realize as soon as I tell people they are very understanding and interested in my feelings. It helps to tell friends, family, and a co-worker because if I feel I may lose control I may just say "I'm anxious!" and the fact that, even if I do lose control, they won't judge me. Sometimes I fear being alone in a public place, because people don't know that I may panic and view me as "weird," but now that I realize people aren't as judemental as I thought it is easier to relax.

It has very hard to explain every feeling I have, and I am SO jealous of other people who don't suffer from this, but I am working HARD to manage my thoughts. I am continually on this board to seek advice and make comments so I just wanted to indroduce myself and let everyone know we are not alone and together let's take control of our thoughts

Old 04-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #42
    SteveGn
    (male)

SteveGn HB User

Bobee123, Welcome to the board! No, I haven't heard of Rhodax. Did they tell you anything about it?

My goodness, a NYC subway would put anyone to the test!!! In reference to a prior post, try viewing the subway as a teammate, ally, or coach that is pushing you to become stronger and stronger.

As you do become stronger and stronger, you will find that you will no longer be jealous of those who aren't suffering. Besides, they probably have their own set of particular issues to work through. They also may actually be sufferers of anxiety and panic, to some degree or another, but don't outwardly show it. Take care, Steve

Old 05-02-2007, 12:31 AM   #43
    Leigh83
    (female)

Leigh83 HB User

Dear SteveGn,

Thank you for your posts, I have taken great comfort in them. I would like to ask though, how you got the courage to travel confidently? I felt I was recovering from panic well, and thought I was ready for a trip away- but I have just returned from a short break away, to a lovely place, where the entire time my anxiety and panic were at full force - I couldnt get my mind off the fact that I was a long way out of my comfort zone, and I didn't feel 'safe' - from my mind or my body (I feel anxious when I get the slightest twange in my body, and I hate the horribly disturbing thoughts I get from time to time, which seemed to come more intensly while I was away.) I was terrified I was going to have to go home - the only thing that kept me there was the thought of disappointing my partner by cutting his trip short.

Any tips for calming anxiety when travelling? Im saving to go on an overseas trip, which is something I was planning to do before I started suffering from anxiety (and was really looking forward to), but now Im thinking its not such a great idea - the thought of getting over there and suffering bad anxiety terrifies me.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
    Leigh

Old 05-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #44
    shorebird
    Veteran
    (male)

shorebird HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leigh83 View Post
    Dear SteveGn,
    Any tips for calming anxiety when travelling?
    Thanks!
    Leigh
    Counter your upsetting thoughts in a tea form.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #45
    shorebird
    Veteran
    (male)

shorebird HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveGn View Post
    Bobee123, Welcome to the board! No, I haven't heard of Rhodax. Did they tell you anything about it?

My goodness, a NYC subway would put anyone to the test!!! In reference to a prior post, try viewing the subway as a teammate, ally, or coach that is pushing you to become stronger and stronger.

As you do become stronger and stronger, you will find that you will no longer be jealous of those who aren't suffering. Besides, they probably have their own set of particular issues to work through. They also may actually be sufferers of anxiety and panic, to some degree or another, but don't outwardly show it. Take care, Steve
    I agree with all Steve had to say and would suggest trying cbt to learn how to counter and restructure the way you think so it is less anxiety provoking.

Closed Thread