It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Health Anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2015, 06:06 AM   #1
    Heather B
    (female)

Heather B HB User
    Re: Anxiety and muscle twitching

I am having the worst time dealing with health anxiety right now! I am discovering new symptoms almost every week. I feel like I may be dying and it is taking so long to get into the neurologist and rheumatologist that I keep turning to Google for answers. My doctor has done blood work but that's it. He says that everything looks fine, no vitamin or mineral deficiency. He referred me to the neurologist and rheumatologist. My Neuro appt. Is Oct. 14 and rheum isn't until Dec. How it all began.. I had a severe anxiety attack about 3 months ago, out of the blue. Went to the hospital. I started hyperventilating, my heart rate was 168. They completed a CT scan on me to make sure there were no blood clots because I've just recently had an emergency c-section done and run blood tests, everything looked good. The next day I noticed twitching in my side, right at my ribs and in my neck. It soon migrated to my feet, my calves, my eye, my mouth, my nose, my arms... everywhere. Sometimes they are isolated and sometimes they are random. I randomly notice that my heart is pounding and I become short of breath, especially when I'm alone. Over the past month and a half, I've developed leg cramping, warm sensations randomly in my thighs, my left hand feels weak, I feel unstable (lack of balance). I, myself, am completely losing my mind over the fear of a MND. I try not to think about it. I have my moments when I feel okay but also moments when I am on Google, losing it. Lol I will update my post as soon as I get some answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2015, 04:52 AM   #2
    gikal
    (male)

gikal HB User

I have some great advice for you. I've had twitching calves, thights, quads for years now on and off. I've been going through mild-moderate and sometimes but rarely intense anxiety for a few years after a significant traumatic event and so ive had a nice steep learning curve. Anyway, basically what ive learned is that you're muscles are tensed from general anxiety and you develop hotspots of tightly knotted muscles. These muscle knots then react by twitching. When they twitch they irritate us so much that we subconsciously (and consciously) stiffen our legs up more in a self preservation thing, hoping that that will control the irritant. Over time this makes the hotspot worse and more prone to twitching.

I eventually had some sports massages and explained what had been happening. The first 2-3 were excruciating as the spots she found were so tight and sore that it took weeks to loosen them up. Now i can take her strongest calf massage and there has been a HUGE improvement in the twitching (it's not gone though). Basically you just have to make sure you are counteracting your muscle tension which anxiety creates with massages that loosen those spots.

The other thing is that my muscles often start twitching if i've been lying in bed in the morning, when im still loitering around the house late at night and if im procrastinating about something. Basically its a subconscious warning system which is fantastic when used to your advantage. It gets you moving and getting stuff done! Seriously embrace it and listen to what its telling you to do.

My final point is... is it really the worst thing? I know how it feels and for the longest time i was like THIS IS BULLSH*T etc etc but the reality is, if we cant live with some twitching calves then we'll never be happy and truth be told do we really deserve it? We have to be able to accept the occasional symptom and let it just do its thing in the background. We dont need our emotions to get too tangled up in it.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:32 AM   #3
    Heather B
    (female)

Heather B HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gikal View Post
    I have some great advice for you. I've had twitching calves, thights, quads for years now on and off. I've been going through mild-moderate and sometimes but rarely intense anxiety for a few years after a significant traumatic event and so ive had a nice steep learning curve. Anyway, basically what ive learned is that you're muscles are tensed from general anxiety and you develop hotspots of tightly knotted muscles. These muscle knots then react by twitching. When they twitch they irritate us so much that we subconsciously (and consciously) stiffen our legs up more in a self preservation thing, hoping that that will control the irritant. Over time this makes the hotspot worse and more prone to twitching.

I eventually had some sports massages and explained what had been happening. The first 2-3 were excruciating as the spots she found were so tight and sore that it took weeks to loosen them up. Now i can take her strongest calf massage and there has been a HUGE improvement in the twitching (it's not gone though). Basically you just have to make sure you are counteracting your muscle tension which anxiety creates with massages that loosen those spots.

The other thing is that my muscles often start twitching if i've been lying in bed in the morning, when im still loitering around the house late at night and if im procrastinating about something. Basically its a subconscious warning system which is fantastic when used to your advantage. It gets you moving and getting stuff done! Seriously embrace it and listen to what its telling you to do.

My final point is... is it really the worst thing? I know how it feels and for the longest time i was like THIS IS BULLSH*T etc etc but the reality is, if we cant live with some twitching calves then we'll never be happy and truth be told do we really deserve it? We have to be able to accept the occasional symptom and let it just do its thing in the background. We dont need our emotions to get too tangled up in it.
    I have tested myself on the theory that anxiety causes muscle tension subconsciously and what do you know, I'm sitting there tensing my neck and my legs without even realizing it. Procrastinating makes my twitching wrost also. Mentally I know that I need to start getting stuff done that I'm not doing and physically it gives you the opportunity to sit there and examine every little twitch and every manifested symptoms and makes your anxiety worst. I do not mind the twitching, it's painless and doesn't interfere with my life in any way. My main concern is that I do not know if I am really developing other symptoms or if it's just anxiety taking over my body. I have read so many threads where people are absolutely losing their minds because of similar symptoms as mine but have had clean MRI's, EMG's and extensive blood work. I am sitting in limbo right now, waiting to get an answer, any answer.. Anxiety would even do but my gp does not seem to think it is anxiety. Once I get some results, I Will be sure to post what's going on to hopefully ease a lot of people's mind.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
    MaryD212
    (female)

MaryD212 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heather B View Post
    I am having the worst time dealing with health anxiety right now! I am discovering new symptoms almost every week. I feel like I may be dying and it is taking so long to get into the neurologist and rheumatologist that I keep turning to Google for answers. My doctor has done blood work but that's it. He says that everything looks fine, no vitamin or mineral deficiency. He referred me to the neurologist and rheumatologist. My Neuro appt. Is Oct. 14 and rheum isn't until Dec. How it all began.. I had a severe anxiety attack about 3 months ago, out of the blue. Went to the hospital. I started hyperventilating, my heart rate was 168. They completed a CT scan on me to make sure there were no blood clots because I've just recently had an emergency c-section done and run blood tests, everything looked good. The next day I noticed twitching in my side, right at my ribs and in my neck. It soon migrated to my feet, my calves, my eye, my mouth, my nose, my arms... everywhere. Sometimes they are isolated and sometimes they are random. I randomly notice that my heart is pounding and I become short of breath, especially when I'm alone. Over the past month and a half, I've developed leg cramping, warm sensations randomly in my thighs, my left hand feels weak, I feel unstable (lack of balance). I, myself, am completely losing my mind over the fear of a MND. I try not to think about it. I have my moments when I feel okay but also moments when I am on Google, losing it. Lol I will update my post as soon as I get some answers.
    I know you're scared. I have health anxiety as well. I still Google everything, and it makes everything worse. I am now being treated for anxiety and hoping that will stop my behavior.

Maybe talk to a counselor before putting yourself through a bunch of tests, which only worsens anxiety. I never thought I would need meds or counseling for my anxiety, but you can't be afraid all the time. It's no way to live...

Peace!

Old 09-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
    Heather B
    (female)

Heather B HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaryD212 View Post
    I know you're scared. I have health anxiety as well. I still Google everything, and it makes everything worse. I am now being treated for anxiety and hoping that will stop my behavior.

Maybe talk to a counselor before putting yourself through a bunch of tests, which only worsens anxiety. I never thought I would need meds or counseling for my anxiety, but you can't be afraid all the time. It's no way to live...

Peace!
    Actually I have a psychologist and he wrote a recommendation letter saying that I should be on anxiety medicine but the problem is, I'm breastfeeding and I don't want to be dazed all day. I am not a pill person, I don't like feeling out of character. He suggested that we do an EMDR, ever heard of such a thing? I did some research on it and basically the psychologist taps into your subconscious and relieves whatever may be triggering your anxiety but I've read some bad reviews about it also..

Old 09-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
    MaryD212
    (female)

MaryD212 HB User

Quote:
    Actually I have a psychologist and he wrote a recommendation letter saying that I should be on anxiety medicine but the problem is, I'm breastfeeding and I don't want to be dazed all day. I am not a pill person, I don't like feeling out of character. He suggested that we do an EMDR, ever heard of such a thing? I did some research on it and basically the psychologist taps into your subconscious and relieves whatever may be triggering your anxiety but I've read some bad reviews about it also..
    That was suggested to me. For me, I just felt more comfortable with medicine, since I was so suddenly thrust into anxiety. I need to calm down my mind and body. You have to do what makes you comfortable. Hopefully what ever road you take, you'll get to a peaceful state.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
    start small
    (male)

start small HB User

Quote:
    I have suffered from health anxiety on and off for at least 25 years. Through therapy it was easy to discover how it began since I witnessed my healthy athletic 45 year old father die suddenly at the dinner table of an aneurysm when I was 12, By the time I was 17 I had lost my favorite aunt to breast cancer and when I turned twenty I was diagnosed with cardio myopathy. I spent the next 15 years in and out of the emergency room convinced of heart problems only to be sent home every time with a clean bill of health. Very few doctors wanted to contest my diagnosis of cardio myopathy but they certainly made it clear that their test didn't result in any such findings. Regardless my health anxiety slowly climbed. I spent years pushimg myself physically to the limits only to prove I wouldn't die. This worked until I turned 35. By this time I am Married, kids, stressful job etc.... I finally went back to that same cardiologist and after retesting he simply said "no more myopathy". I was so relieved I didn't even deal with how or why this could be, I didn't hang around to discuss further, I was out of there. 6 months later I quite smoking cigarettes occasionally, I stopped drinking alcohol and decided I could finally live feeling healthy. Free of anxiety.
    This was not my reality. I started dealing with a muscle twinge near my left eye that didn't go away for months, when it finally passed I had already been to quest diagnostics for labs of my own. Convinced MS was the culprit. I had some trivial elevations that sent me into a downward spiral of health anxiety that hasn't paused for nearly three years. Since then I have dealt with shortness of breath, lightheadedness, nausea, heartburn, panic attacks that send adrenaline up my spine and my heart rate into the stratisphere. I have called 911 numerous times, I have hired a concierge doctor who is on call 24/7. We have had stool samples, 24 hour urine Samples, stress test, abdominal CT scan, lung function tests, lab work up the wazoo. And it all didn't help one bit. Because there still isn't anything really wrong with me other than low b12. Which doctors traced backed 15 years. More test to reveal that it's only low b12 and nothing else. My symptoms continued. Pour bowel movements, panic daily, rapid heart rate at night, doom and gloom, racing thoughts etc. it wasn't until I removed gluten from my diet via my wives directive, that I started for the first time in 20' years experiencing normal bowel movements daily. I started taking b12 orally and my b12 numbers went from 200's to the 900's!!! Finally we have a positive result from a tangible change and yet my anxiety got worse. Why do I still feel nausea, short of breath or light headed if we've removed the culprit. I have been in a constant state of body scanning health anxiety for so long that I clearly have a trained mind. It's like a record player that has the deepest needle grove from 25 years of constant doom and gloom. Health anxiety is absolutely real and all consuming. I have no expectation that it will go away without the combination of the daily lorazepam I take, the weekly therapy CBT sessions, the deep diaphragm breathing that I do to relax and my families support. I expect that it will take years to retrain my brain how to not catastrohise and or scan my body after every ache or dull passing physical symptom. I want you to know that health anxiety is real, it can control our bodies, make us feel things that turn into daily realities, trick us into thinking the chicken is before the egg. I am learning daily how to deal with this but wanted to add that I have succumb to accepting that health anxiety is real, it is powerful and requires a deep rooted plan of attack to overcome.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:25 AM   #8
    MaryD212
    (female)

MaryD212 HB User
    Re: Health Anxiety

I know what you're going through. I have health anxiety due to my sister being diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 25. My twin brother collapsed and died on a sidewalk 2 years ago. I have a real fear of dying. I realize I'm throwing the life I do have right now away because of fear. Lexapro has calmed me down already and it's only been 9 days.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #9
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
    Re: Health Anxiety

Believe me your not alone Heather.

I have been in the ER with racing heartbeat and panic attacks. I was taking Ativan like crazy.

Doctor changed me from tranquilizer to a mild beta blocker that was like a miracle to me. Stopped my heart from racing, didn't have that drowsy feeling of tranquilers.

I know your against drugs but some times they can really help out.

Right now I'm taking the smallest dose they make.

Best of luck to you with your anxiety.

Closed Thread