It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Hard to breathe in car with heater or AC

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2016, 06:09 AM   #1
    djsh
    (male)

djsh HB User
    Question Hard to breathe in car with heater or AC

So:
    1) I have had Generalized anx disorder since 1998. I take Clonazepam 1.5mg total daily, whenever I need it. Sometimes more depending on circumstances.
    2) Summer, I was driving around and assumed ragweed, which was very bad this year, was giving me breathing problems. But I don't normally suffer with allergies.
    3) It continued with me into Winter - when I drive, it is worst. If I am stuck in traffic, it turns into a full blown panic attack as the adrenaline rushes through me and it feels like I have sudden gasps for air.
    4) I am wondering if this could be the air filter in my car as both AC blowing on me and a heater blowing on me "seems" to bring it on, tho sometimes, I think a part of my subconscious kicks in just before the end of day, as it starts up in the workplace.
    5) I have a fan blowing on me at night for white noise - I sleep fine.
    6) I have a private doctor here in Montreal - he said my only option is emerg room for an SSRI as I have tried most and had side effects that were unbearable. He cannot come up with the concoction I need.
    7) The last SSRI (I stopped a week ago) was e-citalopram and it helped with gurgling stomach problems (maybe IBS) or excess stomach acid which may or may not have been related to the fact I was not eating as much because of the fear of choking in public places. I had that most of the Summer but am now eating regularly and it seems to have stayed away - as have strong sudden palpitations. I was only on this med for 2 months.
    8) After a week, anxiety is still high - tried a Benadryl 10mg last night once I got in from the traffic to see if it had to do with histamines - allergic to something perhaps. I did not notice a change. Nor this morning...

Although I am a bit of a hypochondriac, I need answers - just to know others have these symptoms. I know El Nino has caused an increase in allergies this year, but what else could this be. I had a FULL physical recently and am in otherwise fine health.

I sometimes get dizzy at work when these feelings come on.

Picking up my daughter after a terrible time in traffic calms me right down so there is a definite element of anxiety here...but am not convinced re. it only being anxiety as I get sudden gasps from the heater in my car. I have had pneumonia and bronchitis over the last 5 yrs and used to be a smoker.

I also know I need to let it "wash over me" and use mindfulness - I have had all I can of CBT in the past so will not go back to that route.

I am most relaxed at home - so there is an element of anxiety - and anxiety only spikes if I get a body symptom related to breathing - otherwise I can coast through traffic with no issues!!

Here's a tidbit: when I vacate my bowels, things start to go back to normal.

Please...any feedback would calm my mind...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2016, 06:12 AM   #2
    StephenStevens
    (male)

StephenStevens HB User
    Re: Hard to breathe in car with heater or AC

This might not be the best solution, but you might even consider switching a profession to something indoor. At least I know that it has done wonders for me. It is good for situations when you are unable to socialize and such.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety attacks, breathing problems, dizzy lightheaded nausea fatigue tired, irritable bowel symdrome, panic attack