It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Zoloft/Sertraline help! New to meds!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2016, 04:05 AM   #1
    Shuriken

Shuriken HB User
    Exclamation Zoloft/Sertraline help! New to meds!

Ok I'm going to make a long story short.
    Always had problems with mental health (crap childhood) depression through teens and 20's, anorexia for 10 years, self harming blah blah.
    Kind of recovered for the most part myself from getting rid of bad things/people.
    Done a few months CBT last year and that really helped the depression side of things
    Recently my job got crazy busy, lot of stuff happening at home, family popped up again causing all kinds of stress and I kind of snapped?
    Massive anxiety attacks like all the time, I absolutely lost it, even picking dinner caused me to have a horrendous attack, couldnt function, was getting worse but I can go days being happy on top of life and then without warning BAM lost it again. So it wasnt an 'all the time' problem.
    Went doc asking for help, thinking maybe intensive therapy or something might help me talk through it, she agreed but also put me on 50mg of Zoloft for a month, (dont like drugs so I protested but she insisted) saying you'll feel crap for a couple weeks but stick with it. and it'll help!

The pills are absolutely horrible!!! I went from being a functioning member of society 80% of the time to 0% of the time!! I'm two weeks in and its not getting better, zoning out, feel like I'm in a dream like state, shaking, my jaw is doing a weird thing, twitching, nausea, stomach pain (ontop of my IBS that I already have) low blood pressure (ontop of my already low blood pressure) I couldnt type an email in work the other day because I almost forgot how to spell big words and I ran into the toilet crying to have an anxiety attack.......how is this suppose to help me???? I cant do my job!! I also havent been gym in weeks as I dont have the energy and I feel like I'm putting on weight, not a good thing when you're a recovered anorexic, so thats making me not wanting to eat as much.......

Does anyone have any advice? Is there anything I can do to counteract the weakness and zoning out?? How long does this last for?? Does this make me gain weight? Cuz if it does its really really not for me!!! What happens if I just quit!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
    Jitterygal
    (female)

Jitterygal HB User
    Re: Zoloft/Sertraline help! New to meds!

First of all I'm sorry you are having a hard time with your med. Unfortunately there is usually an adjustment period of a weeks with antidepressants but after a few weeks your body usually adjusts and side effects diminish. However, there are a lot of antidepressants out there, so if that one doesn't help, another one might. I started back on Paxil about 3 months ago and I still have ups and downs, but when I was on it before it took about 4 months for all anxiety symptoms to disappear. If you've been checked out by a physician and there is no other cause for your symptoms but anxiety, then try and hang in there a little longer.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
    Jitterygal
    (female)

Jitterygal HB User
    Re: Zoloft/Sertraline help! New to meds!

Sorry I didn't answer a couple of your other questions. Yes, antidepressants are known to cause weight gain. I am a fitness instructor so I'm not having a huge issue with it.
    It is not recommended to stop antidepressants cold turkey. The side effects are usually quite bad. Your doctor needs to taper your dosage down gradually. I would consult your doctor first if you think you just can't tolerate Zoloft.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, sertraline, stress, zoloft