It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• quit smoking and anxiety and depression.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #1
    Franksal
    (male)

Franksal HB User
    quit smoking and anxiety and depression.

hello my name is frank. I'm 23. i am new to this site. last year i started having chest pains and slight discomfort in my neck. i went to the er and urgent care and was told i have anxieity and that is what was causing my chest and neck discomfort. plus I'm a slight hypochondriac. since then my anxiety went down to minimal on its own. now i quit smoking going on a month ago. and at first i felt slight anxieity but it was bearable. I've always have had a bad stomach and went to my GI. and she said i have IBS and i should take fiber and probiotics and watch what i eat. witch i did and this was about 4 months ago. so last week i was going to the bathroom and there was a lot of blood so i went to the er and had a ct. scan of my abdomen. it turns out my colon is slightly inflamed and i have minor colitis. they prescribed me the antibiotic cipro and flagyl to make sure i don't get c.diff or something. i went back to my GI and she said it could be ulcerative colitis or crohns but felt it might just been regular colitis that can go away. so she scheduled a colonoscopy for Monday. since then I've been extremely anxious and depressed even when i wasn't thinking about everything that going on. now i finished my antibiotics. and I've been having on and off chest pains on my left side. i also have an incomplete rbbb. and my doc said its common and not to worry about it. so i went back to my doc. and he checked me out and said its probably my anxiety causing the discomfort in my chest. and prescribed buspar 5mg. when i took that it first gave me a feeling like i was a zombie almost like i was to calm. then the second time i had a stabbing headache. so i decided to not take the buspar. and my doc said he doesn't want to prescribe me a benzo like Xanax or something to calm me down because most people my age abuse it. I've still been having the chest pain on and off. also before i quit smoking i almost never had chest pains except for last year. they also gave me a chest X-ray last year. and I'm blaming it on anxiety and that i quit smoking. but is been unbearable. i looked up chest pain and quitting smoking and many people have had this and either say its withdrawals or anxiety or my lungs are healing themselves. and every time i feel the pain in my chest i think the worst. also i looked up side effects of cipro and flagyl and it said increased anxiety and depression. and now I'm in like a fog. i feel like I'm high on something but I'm completely sober. and i need some closure and piece of mind to help me calm down. i feel like I'm loosing it. and i don't know what to do. and i found this website. so i hope some of you can give me some closure. because I'm scared and i keep feeling like I'm going to die and i think its all from my anxiety but i can't get it under control.

The following user gives a hug of support to Franksal:
    movielover40 (10-19-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
    Re: quit smoking and anxiety and depression.

Praying you get some relief.

Based on your age you shouldn't have any major heart issues.

Best of luck on your colonoscopy and keep us updated.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
    dc32
    (male)

dc32 HB User
    Re: quit smoking and anxiety and depression.

Hi Frank. When I read your post, I had to comment. I quit smoking in June of 2012. In December, I started having chest pains on my left side, which I didn't have while I was a smoker. Very strange indeed. The chest pains would come and go throughout the day. I had an EKG done on my heart, and it came back normal. Since 2008, however, I've been treated for GERD. I take omeprazole for that. So you might ask your doctor about possible GERD. An ulcer is also possible, but see what the doctor says about your colonoscopy test. I'm sure you are in good hands with your doctors. They will find out what's going on. And I congratulate you on quitting smoking. That's awesome! I was so happy when I quit. You saved your life. The chest pain you're describing, if it is not heart-related, is called non-cardiac chest pain, or NCCP. There could be several reasons why you are having it, and there are different treatments depending on what the cause is. For me, it was GERD. Now that I'm treating it, it is more under control, but sometimes flares up now and then. I always wondered why the chest pains started occurring after I quit smoking. It could be all the years of smoking were irritating the tissues, and when you quit, your body is in the process of repairing itself from all the toxic chemicals in cigarettes. That's just my theory, I don't know for sure.
    As far as the anxiety is concerned, buspar can help. I'm taking Zoloft for my anxiety and depression, and that seems to help. Good luck with your colonoscopy, and let us know how you're doing. Hang in there.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, chest pain, colitis, quitting smoking