It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Antidepressants that DON'T cause weight gain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Sadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB User
    Antidepressants that DON'T cause weight gain?

I have severe chronic insomnia and my GP put me on low-dose mirtazapine to help. Yes, I started to sleep, but the weight gain is so bad that I have now stopped sleeping again because of the anxiety about my weight. I wake up in the night crying because I've become so big and then can't go back to sleep.

Is there another anti-depressant that is less likely to cause weight gain that will also help me sleep?

EDIT: I thought I would add that I am very careful about what I eat. I have had no increase in appetite on the antidepressant, eat less than 1,400 calories a day and take in around 80 carbs daily. In fact, I am a diet obsessive. The only time I go over that is in the rare occasions we go out for dinner, and even then it is vegetables and protein. So this is not a situation where going on a diet will help. If I eat any less I'll make myself ill.

Last edited by Sadtosay; 01-21-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
    Toypoodle
    (female)

Toypoodle HB UserToypoodle HB User
    Re: Antidepressants that DON'T cause weight gain?

The med you're on is know for weight gain. Trazadone is an old antidepressant med. .
    Lot of people use it for a sleep aid. My husband takes it to help him sleep. You might
    ask your doctor about this med. . Let me know how you're doing.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Sadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toypoodle View Post
    The med you're on is know for weight gain. Trazadone is an old antidepressant med. .
    Lot of people use it for a sleep aid. My husband takes it to help him sleep. You might
    ask your doctor about this med. . Let me know how you're doing.

Thank you. I have also heard that trazadone can cause weight gain, but I get the impression mirtazapine is the biggest culprit of all. I was so shocked when I realized how big I had gotten -- a full size increase within two or three weeks. There's no way I ate that much!

I have an appointment for tomorrow morning and will ask if I can make the change.

If not, I believe I'm better off without the medication.

Last edited by Sadtosay; 01-22-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
    Toypoodle
    (female)

Sadtosay- How did your doctor's appt. go ?

Old 01-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for asking.

My GP had no problem switching me to trazodone. I took a small dose last night and slept fitfully but for a long time, so I guess it will work.

It's too bad about the mirtazapine, though. My sleep was SO good on it. I just can't stand being large.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #6
    Toypoodle
    (female)

Sadtosay- Glad the doctor switch the meds for you. Are you on the 50 mg ? That's what my husband takes. He sleeps good on it. Stay in touch let me know how you do on it.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

i can't say the trazodone is working very well. I slept like a log on the mirtazapine. With the 50 mg trazodone I've had two nights of not falling asleep for a long time and waking up a lot. My GP wants me to take 100 mg, so maybe that will do the trick.

My insomnia is chronic, long-term, and severe. I doubt I will ever sleep properly without medication.

Last edited by Sadtosay; 01-25-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #8
    Toypoodle
    (female)

I hope the 100mg will work for you. Do you start the 100mg tonight ? Let me know how that goes.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

I'm supposed to take 7.5 mg mirtazapine and 50 mg trazodone for a week, then stop the mirtazapine and take 100 mg trazodone.

I have noticed an odd twitch in one of my forearms after taking the trazodone. I hope this doesn't turn out badly. I HAVE to sleep. My partner has late stage cancer and is facing an awful surgery. I'll need to be on my game for a few months.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Well, shoot.

A few days in and I have to say the Trazodone is a bust. All it does is give me major sinus and breathing issues at night. It does not help me sleep. Until two nights ago I was taking a small dose of mirtazapine (about 3.75 mg) as well as the trazodone. Now that I'm on trazodone only, I'm back to sleeping restlessly for no more than 3-4 hours. I'll give it another week or two but I think the writing is on the wall.

Is there anything else I can try?

Last edited by Sadtosay; 01-31-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:33 PM   #11
    Toypoodle
    (female)

Have you ever tried a low dose of xanax ? I take the lowest dose 0. 25. It helps me relax and sleep. Keep me posted.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:54 PM   #12
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Doctors rarely prescribe Xanax for long-term use as it is a benzo. Too bad, really. When I was working I used 1 mg Ativan nightly for 15 years. Worked like a charm, and I never had to increase my dose. No trouble coming off it, either, with a slow taper. But these days the Medical Associations give doctors a lot of grief if they prescribe benzos, so they tend not to, at least here. So people like me have to live sick and exhausted.

Anyway, I'll give the trazodone more time. I hear it works better if you take it with a small snack a couple of hours before bed. I'll try that. And I'll try different doses, too.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:47 AM   #13
    ALEXINSTITCHES
    (female)

ALEXINSTITCHES HB User

i have been on Venlafaxine for years and weight has been totally stable,i used to have severe anorexia ,so i was worried too that they would affect me and i can honestly say they have been fine

Old 02-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #14
    Toypoodle
    (female)

Alexinstitches- I'm also on Venlafaxine. What mg are you go ? Right now I'm on 75 mg.
    My moods are good.

The following user gives a hug of support to Toypoodle:
    ALEXINSTITCHES (02-01-2017)
    Old 02-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #15
    ALEXINSTITCHES
    (female)

ALEXINSTITCHES HB User

I am also on 75mg.......seem to remember once id got over the first 3weeks,WOW i emerged.i take one first thing and then one about lunch time,i find if i take lunch time in the evening i dont sleep very well............i have occassionally dabbled in trying to come off them,and instantly the dark moods come back and i want to escape the planet and get non stop preoccupation with death.....so i am a HUGE fan of the drug

Closed Thread