HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anxiety (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/)
-   -   Starting Lexapro - Day by Day (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/1031807-starting-lexapro-day-day.html)

momR3 03-12-2017 03:37 PM

Starting Lexapro - Day by Day

I recently came across a helpful post on here from years back about someone who was starting out on Lexapro and jotting down her progress day by day. For me, this was very comforting so I thought I would give it a try too. I was on Zoloft years ago after having my second son and it worked well for me at that time. I was able to quit when I got pregnant with my daughter a few years later and hadn't been on anything since. This past year was very stressful and my anxiety spiraled out of control. I tried buspar for a few weeks and all that did for me was extend my anxiety to an all day event. My doctor tried to put me back on Zoloft and after one night of that, I woke up sweating several times and was naseus and no appetite at all the next day. So here I am now, hopeful with Lexapro. My doctor gave me 10mg to take once a day. I was anxious to try it so it is hard to tell what side effects are coming from me worrying or the medicine itself. The first night, I woke up a few times (not normal for me) and unable to get back to sleep. I wasn't really anxious. I was really focused on what was on t.v. though (which has normally been my "white noise" for sleeping). I also felt warm. Nothing as bad as when I tried the Zoloft though. The next day I was a litle naseus and had very little appetite but was able to eat. My doctor said to half it to 5mg and try it in the morning instead. I also have .5mg of clonazepam as needed. I only ever need half of that (.025mg) to get me by. Since I took it at night on day one, I skipped the next day and tried the .5mg the following morning. I was able to eat before I took it this way. I was a little anxious about the side effects and didn't do much that day, probably paying WAY to much attention to what this pill was going to do to me. I felt a little anxious here and there but it went away quickly and I was even able to nap. It never came to a panic attack which I had been having recently. I did find by the end of the night I felt a little better. Day 3- ate a bit then took it. I don't feel the nausea so maybe it's the eating first that makes it better. Although my appetite isn't as big (which I don't see as a bad thing for me!) I also find that about 3 hours after taking it, I get a little uneasy and end up taking my clonazepam. Throughout the day I have been getting the bare minimum done (my kids are off for spring break) and I am hoping this kicks in soon. As the night comes, (usually about 10 hours after taking) I feel better and happy and able to hang out and feel good. Day 4- ate breakfast..took my 5mg. Feel okay until about that 3rd hour approaches. Take my clonazepam. I haven't had much anxiety while being in my bed (which I know sounds bad staying in bed) but for a long time I couldn't find any place to get releief from it so this is really comforting to me. I wouldn't say that this pill is making me tired or a lack of energy as it's more of me just finally getting some relief. I don't want to do anything to ruin it. I'm looking forward to trying this at night in hopes that I sleep during the uneasy feelings and can reap the benifits during the day. Will update after!