It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• I Thought I was Dying.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
    Zandaroo
    (female)

Zandaroo HB User
    I Thought I was Dying.

This is my first post. Im not sure exactly how to go about this but I just wanted to see if anyone here has ever experienced this...

Some of my history, diagnosed with anxiety. I'm able to work a retail job, barely but I manage. Have been on a few prescriptions but am currently unmedicated.

A week ago I went through one of those terrifying anxiety attacks, at the time it realizing that's what it was. I was sitting on my couch watching tv when my whole body got the chills. I got very hot, then cold. My body started shaking and my vision went from tunnel to black. My body felt heavy like I had no control. Ifelt like I was going to die. My boyfriend had to call for an ambulance but I ended up not going in to the hospital. Which I'm not sure if that was a good idea. But either way... can anyone give me some insight. Have you experienced this? Luck with certain treatments? Therapies? Anything will help. I feel like I'm just waiting for it to happen again. I'm living in fear.

The following user gives a hug of support to Zandaroo:
    movielover40 (03-21-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #2
    Nylyra
    (female)

Nylyra HB User
    Re: I Thought I was Dying.

So I haven't experienced a panic attack myself, but I know a bit about them cause my mom used to get them pretty often. I can't tell you what will work for you, but seeing a psychiatrist did help her, but it's very particular cause her panic attacks were "triggered" by some other health issues, so this constant fear of feeling like something bad was going to happen to her made her really anxious. So based on her story the psychiatrist tried to help her control and stop the attacks with therapy and medication.
    So it's a very particular treatment that depends on the person I think, I'm telling you this from my point of view, I might be wrong.
    So maybe seeing a psychologist first and see how it goes, if not then try to seek for a psychiatrist.

Last edited by Nylyra; 03-19-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
    Zandaroo
    (female)

Zandaroo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nylyra View Post
    So I haven't experienced a panic attack myself, but I know a bit about them cause my mom used to get them pretty often. I can't tell you what will work for you, but seeing a psychiatrist did help her, but it's very particular cause her panic attacks were "triggered" by some other health issues, so this constant fear of feeling like something bad was going to happen to her made her really anxious. So based on her story the psychiatrist tried to help her control and stop the attacks with therapy and medication.
    So it's a very particular treatment that depends on the person I think, I'm telling you this from my point of view, I might be wrong.
    So maybe seeing a psychologist first and see how it goes, if not then try to seek for a psychiatrist.
    Thanks for the input. I'm trying to figure out my first steps to hopefully help this. M

Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Hi Zandaroo,

Quote:
    I'm trying to figure out my first steps to hopefully help this
    My suggestions:

A Psychiatrist to prescribe medication(s). It can take time to find the right medication and dosage so try and have patience. It is difficult to recommend a medication, what works for one person might not work for someone else.

A Psychologist for therapy (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy). Cognitive Behavioral Therapy(CBT) can help decrease or completely remove anxiety/panic attacks. Therapy won't work overnight as it is a process but if you hang in there you will see improvements.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

I had severe anxiety for a while and I was taking Ativan quite often. I went to ER with rapid heart beat once I thought I was having a heart attack.

My regular doctor put me on a low dose beta-blocker that did wonders for me.

It kept my heart from racing without the drowsy Ativan tranquilizer effects.

Best of luck to you. You can beat this. I agree with others, finding the right medicine and dosage will help you a great deal.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
    Zandaroo
    (female)

Zandaroo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by movielover40 View Post
    I had severe anxiety for a while and I was taking Ativan quite often. I went to ER with rapid heart beat once I thought I was having a heart attack.

My regular doctor put me on a low dose beta-blocker that did wonders for me.

It kept my heart from racing without the drowsy Ativan tranquilizer effects.

Best of luck to you. You can beat this. I agree with others, finding the right medicine and dosage will help you a great deal.
    That's the problem I've had from medicine, the drowsy issue. Working and having two small children it's made it a bit difficult for me to dabble into. But I'm thinking the inconvenience for the a little while would pay off in the long run. Thank you for the words of encouragement.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
    Porty
    (male)

Porty HB User

The temperature swings is definitely something I've experienced with severe panic attacks before. As far as the best course of action to take, I agree with what others have said. Meditation can also be amazing for preparing you for dealing with that rush of fear and crazy thoughts that comes along with panic attacks.

Closed Thread