It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Worried about not getting enough sleep while waking in the middle of the night

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
    liz8100
    (female)

liz8100 HB User
    Worried about not getting enough sleep while waking in the middle of the night

I have insomnia and have had this problem for 6 months now. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea but it's getting treated now. I"m still waking up in the middle of the night so I don't know if it's working or not but the doctor thinks it might be because I'm still able to fall asleep and I can feel a lot of air going in and out of the back of my throat so I think it's probably working.

Anyway, I know I can't worry about waking up right now without another sleep study so until then, I won't worry about what's waking me up. Now I'm concerned about trying to get back to sleep. The doctor thinks the trouble with going back to sleep is probably psychological, maybe anxiety and I think he's right.

I've tried things that I've found out from the internet! White noise, reading, listening to music, going to the bathroom, breathing etc... and all the common stuff people try to get back to sleep. I have no trouble falling asleep once I go to bed which is odd because I would wake up hours later and can't get back to sleep.

Now something started working not too long ago. With the treatment for apnea (oral appliance to bring the jaw forward), I took a sleeping pill each night because I struggled with getting used to the treatment. By now, I've adjusted to it and it's not that big of a deal anymore. I went back to the sleep dentist (who gave me the oral device) and he adjusted the device a bit and I think that helped because I'm not taking the sleeping pill as much. I only take it as needed. A few days ago, I figured out that I need to just lay still, open and close my eyes like I'm getting real tired even though I'm not. So I do that when I wake up in the middle of the night and that worked! I was back to sleep quickly.

Then I decided to get in better shape, try to eat better, lose weight and exercise more. I know weight loss is good for apnea and for you in general so I would start doing that. When I exercise, I feel pretty good during the day but I don't see how it's working for me during the night because I'm still feeling anxious when I wake up. As soon as I'm awake, I'm anxious before I could try opening and closing my eyes or trying anything. When I start to feel anxious about waking up and worried about not falling asleep or getting enough sleep, I can't do anything but stay in bed and worry about it. I've found getting out of bed to read or something is pointless because I just keep thinking about it. I keep thinking, "what if this isn't working?" Then I give up after a while and take a pill so I can go back to sleep.

Last few nights went well because I was half-asleep when I woke up so I could go back to sleep easily and I just relaxed but last night, I was immediately anxious when I realized it was 4:30 in the morning. So far I've gotten 4 hours of sleep (I go to bed at nearly 12:30 and fall fast asleep) so I'm anxious about not getting enough sleep, worried about whether I'll fall asleep again and when that'll happen and how I'll feel the next day if I don't get enough more than 4 hours of sleep. I typically get 6-7 hours of sleep so if I could sleep for another 2 hours, that'd be fine but I worry I won't fall asleep soon enough to do so and I'll really sleep in and be in bed for too long. If I woke up at like 2:00 or maybe 3:00, no big deal. More time for me to fall asleep but at 4:30, I'm worried I'll stay awake and I can't stop this anxiety so I can sleep.

Again, I tried exercising which made me feel good in the daytime but I don't understand how that's going to help my anxiety at nighttime because it hasn't. You'd think exercising at night would help but that's the wrong time to exercise. I think maybe I overdid it with the exercising yesterday and that's why I woke up at 4:30, worried about not being able to go back to sleep before the sun comes up. I like to be doing something all the time and I don't go to sleep or have a job and I'm single so I just exercise and do what I can to enjoy myself. So if it's a long day, then I try to fill it up so I'm never bored. Strange that I didn't feel tired yesterday so much after doing all the exercising.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. My whole life, I was always a sound sleeper (I'm almost 36) so not getting enough sleep and waking up too early in the morning stresses me out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread