It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Help! Is this my anxiety or something else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
    tashajones95
    (female)

tashajones95 HB User
    Help! Is this my anxiety or something else?

Hi everyone, just a heads up I am new to here. I'm a 21yo female and I have a history of suffering from health anxiety. It tends to be on and off for me, I get episodes when I experience a symptom I have not had before.

Currently, I have convinced myself I have ALS. A little over a month ago I noticed twitching in my right bicep muscle that was going on for most of the day. I googled it and I was lead to it being a symptom of ALS. Following this I developed body-wide twitching. About two weeks after this I had a severe stabbing pain in my upper abdomen and left shoulder, they were quite intense but subsided after a few minutes. Later that same week I noticed slight atrophy in my left hand (dominant hand and it's the muscle under the thumb). I then got pain in the left shoulder and arm (felt ache-y, joints were stiff, and pressure sensation), this has since ceased but my arm just doesn't feel 100% (it aches from time-to-time, and the shoulder now cracks a lot). I then noticed that my left hand was a bit shake-y when holding things sometimes. Recently I have felt that my chest is heavy at night and I have to put more effort into my breathing, also my swallowing feels a bit off.

All of this has happened really fast so I'm extremely worried. Everyday I google things trying to reassure myself that this cannot be ALS. The main thing that is putting me on edge is the muscle wasting in my hand, I know anxiety cannot possibly cause that. I can't concentrate on my school work, I don't want to interact with many people, and generally I am just very upset. I have a doctors appointment scheduled but unfortunately he is very busy and I have to wait 2.5 weeks.

I cannot stop envisioning a diagnoses of ALS and how horribly I will die. I don't know if these symptoms are really anxiety related or they are something worse. I'm so scared. If anyone has any thoughts or insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tashajones95; 03-28-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread