It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Is there a name for this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
    Andora
    (female)

Andora HB User
    Is there a name for this?

Hi, this is my first post, but. Here goes.

Right now, I'm having some really severe anxiety. I have a really, really serious phobia over tornadoes, storms, and the like. Mostly tornadoes. And the area I live in is going to get a line of bad weather coming through tomorrow. All standard so far.

Thing is, there was this big event tomorrow that I've been looking forward to for weeks, maybe more like months. It's a PPV, not gonna be cancelled because of our weather or anything, and it's a huge yearly event. And long story short, I've somehow managed to irrationally convince myself that I'm not going to be allowed to watch it or enjoy it, because if I do, then the trade-off from the universe will be that the storms will hurt people I care about.

I know how stupid it is, and yet at the same time I can't readily shake it out of my mind. Logic is just not standing up to the idea of "if you let yourself enjoy anything, you're going to bring horribleness on everyone because you dared to try to be happy for a while."

I want to try and see more information about this, because I'm sure it's a thing, and I want to make it stop, somehow, but I can't find any answers. Is there a term for it? And does anyone have any ideas how I can try to not feel like this when I know it's wrong?

The following user gives a hug of support to Andora:
    sweetpotato13 (04-02-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: Is there a name for this?

It's called lilapsophobia.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
    ifeelsolostinli
    (male)

ifeelsolostinli HB User
    Re: Is there a name for this?

Yes this is Lilapsophobia. Although I think a fear of tornados is normal, just not in the sense that you think they are going to happen all the time. Tornados are actually pretty rare even in tornado zones.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-14-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Closed Thread