It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
    Dove6034
    (female)

Dove6034 HB User
    Lexapro

Hi Everyone,

My doctor just prescribed Lexapro for me but I have not started taking it yet. I've been reading the boards to see what side effects others have experienced and I have to say it scares me a bit. Is there anyone who has taken Lexapro but has not had bad side effects?
    Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User
    Re: Lexapro

Hello Dove and welcome

I have been on Lexapro before for, at the time, treatment resistant depression. For me I had no changes what so ever, good or bad on this medication. We gave it around 5wks before changing to another medication so it was a fair while I was on it.

Remember everyone is different though and what happens to me may not happen to you on the exact same medication. Also all the warnings that are posted are the worst case scenarios and as a human race we tend to report on the not so good side affects rather than the good ones a lot of the time too, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as it helps educate but the positives are just as educational and I hope you find some positive stories out there to help guide you - though I guess mine is as I had no ill affects from it, it just didn't help my depression though.

Can you speak it through with your doctor again prior to taking it?

I hope this helps!
    K.

Last edited by Dragonfly Wings; 04-07-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
    Dove6034
    (female)

Dove6034 HB User

DragonFly,
    Thank you so much for your response. I did talk with the pharmacist today when I picked up my Lexapro and she did put me at ease. I am going to give it a try and see what happens. I also take bupropion (generic for Wellbutrin) and the pharmacist said it's common to take the two at the same time. The bupropion was basically to help me focus, I wasn't depressed at the time. Then in January the company I worked at for over 28 years suddenly closed their doors and it has been difficult getting through this. I found myself fighting depression and anxiety but it finally got the best of me. Hoping the Lexapro will help without too many side effects!

Old 04-08-2017, 06:06 AM   #4
    Dove6034
    (female)

Dove6034 HB User

Hi Dragonfly,

Well I did feel the side effects last night. I was tired when I went to bed but then was wide awake. Once I fell asleep I kept waking up feeling like I had goose bumps all over my body, they came and went. Woke up feeling anxious but it subsided so I decided not to drink my morning coffee. I also had a little stomach ache but nothing really serious. It didn't help that while I was awake I checked my emails and received another job that I applied to turned me down. It is so hard at my age, I will be 65 this month and it's like no one wants to hire anyone my age. I'm sure sooner or later something will happen but it is just the unknown that worries me. I have always been very independent, working two jobs most of the time to help take care of my kids. I just never thought I would find myself in this position at this age. I'm sure my anxiety and depression stems from that, just the not knowing how I will make ends meet if I don't find a job. I did file fr social security under my ex husband, not near enough to live on but that way I could save mine and at age 70 get a little more than double what I get now. It is just trying to through the now.
    Thank you so much for listening.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Good Morning Dove,

Sorry to hear you were suffering a little from them last night. May I suggest you keep a journal? Just jot down rough times and what's happening at those times to see if any patterns emerge - it will help you with this medication, or any future medications. We always think we will remember everything when it comes to seeing our health care professionals again, but being able to take that journal in and say "here, this is what has been happening the past x weeks", really can be such a time and life saver

Did they explain to you that it can take at least 6wks for anti-depressant medications to really work and settle down? I know it seems like a long time, but in the grand scheme of things it's such a little window when it brings longer term relief.

I am sorry to hear about the job let down and I hope you find something soon! It can be so difficult can't it? I am in a bit of a funk myself at the moment and we are putting my anti-depressants up to double (over the course of 6+ weeks) and possibly introducing a second one to help pull me up a bit more so I can certainly relate to how you're feeling at the moment. My health is ruining my employment though and I have had to cut back almost half and my doctors have pushed for me to apply for disability payment which I have done so I am hoping that might come through and lift a bit of the burden. Every little bit counts right? But it also seems so much worse when you're not feeling 100%.

I hope you have a much better night's sleep tonight!
    HUGS!
    K.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-08-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
    Dove6034
    (female)

Dove6034 HB User

I am so sorry to hear of your health issues. I understand because if I even had an interview right now they surely wouldn't hire me! I've heard from several different people about the time period that it takes affect but they are all different! The pharmacist said about two weeks, a friends daughter who is in college to be a pharmacist said a week and others vary from a week to 4 weeks. If it will help relieve

I pray your disability comes through soon. Not sure how difficult it is there to get it but in the states you have prove your disability over and over again and it can still take up to two years for it to finally be approved. I pray it's much faster there in Australia.
    Hugs to you DragonFly ��

Last edited by Administrator; 04-08-2017 at 05:21 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dove6034 For This Useful Post:
    Dragonfly Wings (04-08-2017)
    Old 04-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Thank you Dove <3

It can certainly be a lengthy process here too from what I have been told, but I can only hope things will go along as they're meant to.

After a couple of weeks on an AD you should be feeling somewhat "better" but full effects are around the 6wk mark. You're right though, everyone is different and it's hard to know how things will go for each person. Hopefully they have the right medication for you the first time and you won't have to go through a lengthy process of switching

Closed Thread