It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Mirtazapine stopped working for insomnia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2017, 07:15 AM   #1
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Sadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB User
    Mirtazapine stopped working for insomnia

A while back I posted about mirtazapine for insomnia and weight gain.

I tried trazodone and it didn't work on its own, so I went back to the mirtazapine, which gave me great sleep. For 5 months I slept wonderfully and felt better than I have in my whole life. I joined the gym, lost the weight, and felt like life was worth living again because finally I could sleep and be rested and have energy.

Then about 3 weeks ago it stopped working. Just stopped. I've had no more than 4-5 hours a night since then and often less than that.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Other than trazodone and mirtazapine, are there any other sedating anti-depressants?

Doctors here will not prescribe sleeping pills or benzos for more than a month, so those are out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User
    Re: Mirtazapine stopped working for insomnia

Hello Sadtosay, sorry to hear it doesn't appear to be working any more. It sounds as though perhaps your body has become used to the dosage that you're on rendering it ineffective in helping bring on the right amount of sedation for sleep. Are you able to speak to your prescribing doctor about putting your dosage up a little to help with your sleep? This is the best thing I can think of, bearing in mind I'm not a doctor

There are other sedating medications out there but better the devil you know in my experience. A lot of the meds that cause sedation also seem to cause weight gain - again only in my experience. So I'd perhaps try for a higher dosage of mirtazapine first if possible

I hope this helps!
    K.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
    rebecca70
    (female)

rebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB Userrebecca70 HB User

Melatonin might work. You can get it where supplements are sold. It can be used with valerian which is also a supplement.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Sadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB User

Melatonin doesn't do a thing for me. Nor does Valerian, tryptophan, passionflower, hops, or any of the other natural remedies. Using these to quell my insomnia is akin to trying to kill a whale with a sewing needle. Ain't gonna happen.

The mirtazapine was the first thing that actually worked and I'm devastated that it stopped. I'm back to two to three hours a night and I can't stand how I feel.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Hi

I'm so sorry that you have those struggles.

Sad to say, the brain builds resistance to drugs & substances. Substances only work so long, because the brain has dominance. I think you need to deal with your anxiety issue. Maybe find an excellent counselor and deal with what makes you feel anxious. Anxiety is not healthy, and it can be so strong that it keeps popping up. There are ways to put it to rest so it's manageable with self talk.

The brain is a wonderful thing, but Anxiety can get strong enough to dominate the brain. We can learn to take charge of what we think and dwell on and use our brain to learn to make choices for what the body will do. We can make choices that will relax us so we can rest. Being sedated with a drug does not mean the body & brain are at rest. It is work to deal with finding out and facing what we are anxious about but we can do it. I have done it. I still have anxiety (a normal human emotion), but it no longer controls me.

Just one thought can keep me awake for days. To be able to rest physically, I have had to learn to dominate my thoughts and put them into slots of my own choosing. I also have learned several supplements to help my body relax naturally. There are things like light hitting the retina that can disrupt sleep patterns. Not going to bed at a regular time affects sleep. Video game and TV and computer screens affect the brain and sleep patterns. Do a search and start reading up on how to help yourself.

Research things like Magnesium. Milk heated to boiling then cooled a little and drunk warm has a relaxing effect on the body & brain. Also, sugar has the opposite effect, exciting the brain temporarily. Eating or drinking juices or sugary, sweet drinks (even alcohol is concentrated sugar) or desserts near bedtime can keep a person awake and stir up brain activity. They should not be ingested near bed time.

It's up to you to find out what is keeping you awake and stop doing it, even if it is dwelling on being awake. Sometimes I need to read a boring magazine in bed in order to let myself fall asleep, because the brain cannot dwell on two things at once.

I hope you can get yourself into a healthy minded routine. I believe you can find ways to help your body & brain relax. It's just a matter of deciding to and doing it. I think as long as you remain decided that you have to have some kind of sedative to sleep that sleep will keep evading you. Take charge of your thoughts and expand them beyond drugs and you can discover ways to help your self relax. Your body and brain will definitely be better off for it.

Plus you will be able to sleep.

Last edited by yayagirl; 04-21-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YaYagirl View Post
    Hi

I'm so sorry that you have those struggles.

Sad to say, the brain builds resistance to drugs & substances. Substances only work so long, because the brain has dominance. I think you need to deal with your anxiety issue. Maybe find an excellent counselor and deal with what makes you feel anxious. Anxiety is not healthy, and it can be so strong that it keeps popping up. There are ways to put it to rest so it's manageable with self talk.

The brain is a wonderful thing, but Anxiety can get strong enough to dominate the brain. We can learn to take charge of what we think and dwell on and use our brain to learn to make choices for what the body will do. We can make choices that will relax us so we can rest. Being sedated with a drug does not mean the body & brain are at rest. It is work to deal with finding out and facing what we are anxious about but we can do it. I have done it. I still have anxiety (a normal human emotion), but it no longer controls me.

Just one thought can keep me awake for days. To be able to rest physically, I have had to learn to dominate my thoughts and put them into slots of my own choosing. I also have learned several supplements to help my body relax naturally. There are things like light hitting the retina that can disrupt sleep patterns. Not going to bed at a regular time affects sleep. Video game and TV and computer screens affect the brain and sleep patterns. Do a search and start reading up on how to help yourself.

Research things like Magnesium. Milk heated to boiling then cooled a little and drunk warm has a relaxing effect on the body & brain. Also, sugar has the opposite effect, exciting the brain temporarily. Eating or drinking juices or sugary, sweet drinks (even alcohol is concentrated sugar) or desserts near bedtime can keep a person awake and stir up brain activity. They should not be ingested near bed time.

It's up to you to find out what is keeping you awake and stop doing it, even if it is dwelling on being awake. Sometimes I need to read a boring magazine in bed in order to let myself fall asleep, because the brain cannot dwell on two things at once.

I hope you can get yourself into a healthy minded routine. I believe you can find ways to help your body & brain relax. It's just a matter of deciding to and doing it. I think as long as you remain decided that you have to have some kind of sedative to sleep that sleep will keep evading you. Take charge of your thoughts and expand them beyond drugs and you can discover ways to help your self relax. Your body and brain will definitely be better off for it.

Plus you will be able to sleep.
    Thanks for the long response. Unfortunately, my insomnia is not related to anxiety. And I have done all of the research I need to do. I practice sleep hygeine and have done so for years. No alcohol, ever. Rarely sugar. Clean diet.

Warm milk is an old wives' tale, by the way. There isn't enough tryptophan in it to do anything.

Also, nothing is keeping me awake. I fall asleep readily. I wake two hours later with a feeling that my skin is burning -- this is a classic symptom of hormone disregulation and/or cortisol imbalance. And it is not possible to sleep with these symptoms going on.

Many, many post-menopausal women find themselves in this state; unable to sleep more than a few scant hours a night. We are legion. And our issue is not anxiety, although doctors would like that to be the easy answer.

The problem is not "in our heads."Instead, it is chemical, caused by hormonal imbalances in the body. I have spent a lot of time and money on naturopathic remedies and hormone replacement therapy with varying degrees of success. Eventually they stop working. It was with great reluctance that I agreed to try the mirtazapine. Now that it is not working I am once again left with floundering to find an answer. It means I will have to go back to spending thousands of dollars on testing that our medical system will not pay for.

The following user gives a hug of support to Sadtosay:
    yayagirl (04-26-2017)
    Old 04-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Sadtosay,

I'm sure that the issue is likely chemical.
    I don't recall mentioning anxiety, though.

The reason milk can relax the body isn't the amino acid tryptophan. It is because some simple carbs with a small amount of protein encourages the brain to produce serotonin. But, if you know for a fact that you can't use some more serotonin, then...

My point is that the body doesn't have a natural requirement for synthetic drugs, which in fact can interfere with normal body balance & function.

It could be that your hormones including thyroid are out of balance. There are many hormones that can be out of balance and each requires trials and checking symptoms; really making a DX much less stabilization difficult. Normally the body can increase and decrease hormones as needed, but the body isn't always capable of creating a needed balance.

Thyroid esp is known to cause sleep disturbance, either from having too much or too little in the blood, or even there can be an absorption problem. My terrific Endo prescribes a range of thyroid I can take as needed based on symptoms.

Sorry you have to go through this stressful time.
    Good luck in this journey. I know it's a difficult one.

Last edited by yayagirl; 04-26-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #8
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Again, Thanks.

I've been taking 3 grammes of Tryptophan at night for years. It doesn't do much for me, but my doctor thinks it probably accounts for the fact that I fall asleep quickly at night (my problem is that I wake up 2-3 hours later).

I am also under the care of a licensed ND who takes care of the hormone issues. I take compounded progesterone and estrogens.

My thyroid is also being treated (I have Hashimoto's) with a T4/T3 combination medication. My numbers are good at the moment (low TSH, mid range T4 and T3).

Everyone knows my body and brain are out of whack. It's just that nobody can seem to get me in balance -- partly because there is so little research into female hormones making its way into mainstream medicine. Same goes for thyroid issues.

Because I've suffered from such severe insomnia for so long (20 years), my doctor has wisely decided that medication is needed before I go mad from lack of sleep or get in an accident while I'm driving around town..\

He's starting me on Silenor next week.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-27-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear Sadtosay,

I can't imagine the experience of being so out of wack as to have to entirely depend on drugs for getting rested. I'm so sorry you have to deal with being totally unresponsive to all of the regular solutions that ordinarily will help.

Probably your best bet is to stop doing your own research and get onto a medically prescribed regiment. Perhaps it is best if you stick with the medical experts.

Meanwhile you may want to find a doctor that looks for results more than numbers in regard to thyroid levels. Numbers in themselves mean nothing if the symptoms are out of whack. Also, be sure to take thyroid in the morning. Taking it later can inhibit sleep. Taking it as late as 1 PM can inhibit my sleep that night.

I hope you find your solutions.

Last edited by yayagirl; 04-27-2017 at 09:50 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to yayagirl For This Useful Post:
    Sadtosay (04-27-2017)
    Closed Thread