It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Miserable with breathless feeling, agoraphobia PLEASE HELP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
    Lindy74
    (female)

Lindy74 HB User
    Miserable with breathless feeling, agoraphobia PLEASE HELP

I'm sitting here crying after trying once again to go out, this time to a nearby coffee shop. I wanted to stay ten minutes, but only managed eight, as my anxiety was so bad and I was afraid of having a panic attack. That was probably the highlight of my day .... my severe anxiety and agoraphobia are keeping me mostly housebound and miserable. I wake up in the morning and cry. Everything is a struggle. My anxiety tends to focus around my breathing -- I very often feel like I'm not getting enough air. This has been going on for years. My world has gotten tiny, and I miss my old friends and family members and just being able to go out once in a while . My husband is also thoroughly tired of this and desperate for change. What can I do?? How can I "fix" my breathing??Sometimes my life doesn't seem worth living .... Please, does anyone have some advice?
    Lindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
    Re: Miserable with breathless feeling, agoraphobia PLEASE HELP

Hi Lindy74,

I am very sorry. As I said previously it takes time and work on your part.

Quote:
    trying once again to go out, this time to a nearby coffee shop. I wanted to stay ten minutes, but only managed eight,
    I am guessing you are disappointed in yourself for not staying the entire 10 minutes you wanted. What is important is to look at the positive and not the negative. Be happy and proud of yourself for staying the eight minutes.

Agoraphobia is about baby steps and what you did was a baby step...Good for you!!!

Try to get out daily and if possible more than once a day. Try not to focus on how long but on the fact you are getting out ---- this is a positive.

If you take the challenge to get better and to free yourself from anxiety/panic and agoraphobia, you are on a journey, a journey that takes slow but steady steps. You may feel like 2 steps forward 3 steps back but don't give up...you will see, little by little, that your steps forward will out distance you steps back.

If you are not working with a Psychotherapist I would strongly suggest doing so. They can be so helpful with new ways of thinking and coping.

Mindful meditation is also very helpful. You can research about how to do mindful meditation and some Therapists will work with you in this area. When you have learned how and have practiced this it is possible to do it anywhere and helps control anxiety/panic attacks.

The more control you have over your anxiety/panic the better your Agoraphobia will get. Getting control can be through Therapy, meditation, self talk (positive and reassuring) and more.

The other part can be Spirituality. This does not necessarily mean religion but can if it's something important to you. When you find what works for you, Spiritually, you will start to find calm and inner peace.

Improving can be multidimensional and might require all of what I have mentioned and maybe more.

In the area of Psychotherapy is also marriage counseling which might be helpful for you and your husband.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
    Lindy74
    (female)

Lindy74 HB User

Thank you snoopy. I appreciate your kind words and well thought out advice. I am currently excited because I am about to start "capnometry assisted breathing retraining", done long-distance from my home, using a device that measures carbon dioxide levels and working with a breathing therapist. Pricey, but worth it if it can really help me. I'm so very hopeful and scared ..... Please send good thoughts my way,
    Lindy

Old 04-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

I have not heard of capnometry assisted breathing retraining but I do hope you find it helpful.

Learning to breath through a anxiety/panic attack can help calm you.

If you have a problem with hyperventilating or your breathing isn't normal, and are at home you might try this to normalize your breathing: Get a lunch size PAPER bag --- put it to your face covering your mouth and nose and...breath. Doing this will normalize your breathing quite easily and quickly.

Take care...

Closed Thread