It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Dysphagia is ruining my life

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
    Catstatts
    (female)

Catstatts HB User
    Dysphagia is ruining my life

A little over a month ago I was diagnosed with oral thrush after taking Flaygl for an infection. I was having trouble swallowing for awhile but was just starting to get better when I almost choke on a tater tot! That sent me into panic attacks so badly that I had to go into the ER the next morning.
    Since then, I haven't been able to eat or drink much. I put the food into my mouth and chew but when I go to swallow it's like my throat latches shut. I even do this with my own spit sometimes. Last week I was prescribed Sertaline25mg to go up to 50mg after a week as well as Ativan .5mg to help me to eat.
    I was doing somewhat better on the 25mg but I am 3 days into the 50mg and I feel like I'm starting over! I can't even swallow the pills whole for fear of choking on them or the water. The Ativan does little to decrease my stress about swallowing.
    Does anyone have any words for me? I am beyond frustrated and feel like this is ruining my life.

The following user gives a hug of support to Catstatts:
    movielover40 (04-25-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
    Re: Dysphagia is ruining my life

So sorry your going thru such a bad time.

Have you tried drinking hot coffee, tea, or hot chocolate before and while your eating? The warm liquid should relax your throat some.

Helps me a lot. I have GERD and it helps.

Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread