It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Can't go back to sleep after waking up

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
    liz8100
    (female)

liz8100 HB User
    Can't go back to sleep after waking up

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 6 months ago but had trouble sleeping before then. So now I'm being treated for it but I have doubts that the sleep apnea is causing me trouble. The doctor seems convinced that the treatment is working and I'm going to have another sleep study soon.

Anyway, I'm quite sure the reason why I can't go back to sleep is because of anxiety. I've been taking Lunesta (sleeping pill) for months as needed if I can't go back to sleep. I was taking it nearly every night until 3 weeks ago. For the past 3 weeks until two nights ago, I was no longer having trouble going back to sleep. I just decided that I got tired of fighting insomnia so I just decided to just let it go. If I don't get enough sleep then I'll just take a nap during the day to catch up. Nothing wrong with napping, right? Finally! 3 weeks ago, I'm able to go back to sleep without taking a pill. I don't do anything, I just go back to sleep.

Two days ago, I went in to see my sleep dentist regarding my treatment and he made some adjustment because I was still waking up. The night before last, I woke up and had trouble going back to sleep and I got hot. So I turned the fan and got so anxious and upset about waking up and not being able to go back to sleep so I went back to taking a sleeping pill. Last night, I wasn't hot but had the fan on in case I did get hot and I think it bothered me a bit so I got up to turn it off. I'd control the thermostat myself before going to bed but I'm not the head of the house so I just do what I can. I turned the fan off and suddenly, I'm so anxious about not being able to go back to sleep because I couldn't without the pill the night before. I was so upset because I made it 3 weeks without taking a pill and suddenly I'm taking it again. I know there's nothing wrong with pills but I didn't have to take them my whole life until about 8 months ago.

And I've had a ton of stuff going on for 8 months without catching a break and it was what I could think about last night, plus the frustration that I got back on the sleeping pill and can't fall back asleep on my own. When I go to bed, I sleep just fine for a couple of hours. I try to think to not do anything different when trying to go back to sleep. Just relax, don't fight it or do anything and just go back to sleep. That worked great for 3 weeks but not for the last 2 nights.

I know that I can just get up and do something instead of lying in bed worrying about it but I worry about how long I should be up doing something before I go back to bed. What if I don't get sleepy within an hour? I also worry that once I'm done doing whatever I'm doing and go back to bed, I'll start worrying about not being able to go back to sleep. If I stay busy, I can keep my mind off stuff but that's tough when you're in bed doing nothing.

Because I think the sleep apnea treatment could be working because it seemed to do well before, I think that I'm just waking up because I'm getting a little older so it's a new pattern I may have developed. I'm fine with waking up some at night as long as I can go back to sleep and get enough sleep.

Last edited by liz8100; 04-30-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread