It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Family gatherings make me uncomfortable

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
    liz8100
    (female)

liz8100 HB User
    Family gatherings make me uncomfortable

I don't like it. I know those people although I don't see them but just once a year. I just don't like to be around a lot of them because we have those parties in a house and the house is way too full! It's like over 50 people in the house. There's people in every single room and even a bunch of them are in the backyard, in the basement, garage, everywhere! I don't like being asked what I'm doing in my life then being judged about it. We have those parties at my uncle's house all the time and they have a dog and that dog cannot go on for more than 5 to 10 minutes without barking! But where are they gonna put the dog during the huge family gathering? People are in the backyard, the basement and the garage. I've tried living this the last couple of times and last time, I wanted to panic, seeing too many people in one room! I had a headache, neck pain and got nauseous that I had to just go back to my hotel room. I don't drive so I have to have someone drive me back, meaning I gotta wait for them to be ready. My mom who drives likes to stay at someone's house until late at night like 10:30 or 11pm and I'm exhausted but they want to hang around until it's late and chat all day long. I've told her before how tired I was and she was like, "ok, we'll leave in a few minutes" but it turns out we'd leave in an hour or longer!

To make matters worse, my mom wants to bring some kids (my younger cousins) back with us to stay in our house for 2-3 weeks! It's summertime for them and she wants them to stay with us for that long. No thank you! I'm already going to be around a lot of people out of town, with no way to escape and having to go along with my mom's schedule. I do not need to be in my house full of people where there will be people needing to use the bathroom when I need to go to the bathroom and people raiding our refrigerator, especially eating the food that I eat quite often. I go to bed early because I have a hard time sleeping and would like to use the bathroom when it's available like shower and stuff like that but I'd have to wait until they get out so I can use it and go to bed when I want to.

Since last summer, I've been dealing with a lot of stuff, especially health issues, family issues and what I really need is a good, nice, relaxing vacation. The last thing I need is a stressful family gathering and having kids around the house all the time for 2-3 weeks. I'm just so uncomfortable with too many people in the house and I can't get away from them that easy.

Last edited by liz8100; 06-04-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
    Re: Family gatherings make me uncomfortable

Liz are you old enough to say "no" to the reunion and stay home by yourself?

Old 06-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
    liz8100
    (female)

liz8100 HB User
    Re: Family gatherings make me uncomfortable

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweetpotato13 View Post
    Liz are you old enough to say "no" to the reunion and stay home by yourself?
    Actually yes but before going to the reunion, I'm going somewhere else where I really want to go first before the reunion and it's closer to the reunion than home so I can't just leave home, go there then go back home and then my mom goes back to do the reunion. Just too much. Also, I don't mind small gatherings with just some relatives like aunts, uncles and some cousins I see more often. But those reunions have my mom's cousins and other relatives from out of state that don't come together that often. That's the kind of family gathering that makes me really anxious.

Closed Thread