It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• New Member-Upcoming Trip/Scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
    Dotkom11
    (female)

Dotkom11 HB User
    New Member-Upcoming Trip/Scared!

Hi All,

I'm Dot & happy to have found this place. I'm sorry so many of us need a place like this to vent & find support from others who really & truly get "it". As new as I am to this forum, I'm an old hand at having anxiety issues. I have Klonopin with me at ALL times. Just knowing those little helpers are in my bag helps. But there are particular circumstances that worry me and I would welcome any suggestions.
    Traveling, at one time became nearly impossible for me. I had moderate to severe anxiety attacks nearly each time I went anywhere in a car. Why? I have no clue. I've actually gotten out of the car and stood along the side of a major highway during traffic jams. Being hemmed in is bad news for me. Going too fast, or what I felt was too fast, would trigger an attack. I rode nearly everywhere white knuckled, which drove my husband crazy. If I grab the dashboard or the overhead bar he feels I have no faith in his driving abilities. Being a professional truck driver, I guess he feels he's earned my complete trust. But, as we all know, anxiety attacks aren't rational. They sometimes have a life of their own. At that time, my traveling anxiety ruled my life. Period. But I'm happy to say things have improved greatly and the last few years I haven't had any issues regarding traveling at all.
    The last time was 6 years ago on a train. I did well on the 1st leg, 12+ hours. But coming home, we stopped for quite while and our car happened to be under a bridge. I kept thinking 'what if' until it happened. That awful chill started in my feet, my stomach dropped out & the fear began to overtake rational thought until I struggled for breath. You all know the drill, yes? Well, I'm taking a 4 hour bus trip with a large group of friends in 2 months. I'm already imagining bad scenarios, which is the worst thing I could do. I know this, but still, my mind goes there. I'm planning to ask to sit in the front of the bus so I can see out and be near the exit. But I know I'll have to go to the back of the bus at least once during each leg to use the oh-so-tiny bathroom facilities. I can't help but think about it now, 2 months out. I can already see how I'll be when the day comes. So, What can I do to help myself? PLEASE tell me something that can make a difference. I thank you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread