It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• just curious ...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

smokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB User
    just curious ...

I have anxiety from time to time and its more noticeable since menopause. I'm wandering if anyone has ever had a Dr think you had a heart issue such as a murmur when in fact, it was just anxiety? How do you tell the difference?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
    Re: just curious ...

If you have a Dr. wondering about a heart problem or murmur then you should be sent for a Cardiology work-up. Anxiety would not be confused with a heart condition.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snoopy61 View Post
    If you have a Dr. wondering about a heart problem or murmur then you should be sent for a Cardiology work-up. Anxiety would not be confused with a heart condition.
    Like i mentioned, he didnt seem too concerned. I was a new patient appt with this Dr. I noticed on the wall even though hes an Internist, he also specialized in cardiology but didnt see that until i was heading out the door.

Last edited by smokeymtnrain; 07-20-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

First of all, a murmur can be heard with a stethoscope. Secondly, what did you see on his wall? Was it a Fellowship in Cardiology?

Internists get basic training in all areas of the body, but they can go on to do another 2 year fellowship...its possible he has a special interest in cardiology with a Fellowship.

If you have any doubts, you should either ask for a phone call from him to have him explain if you actually have a murmur- or if you should see a cardiologist, or just make the cardiologist appointment and get yourself checked out.

Anxiety can cause palpitations and racing heart beats, but it cannot cause a murmur. A mumur can be genetic (you are born with it) or it can be a warning sign that something is wrong. I wouldn't ignore it if it were me unless you have a stress test and other tests to clear you first.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:52 AM   #5
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    First of all, a murmur can be heard with a stethoscope. Secondly, what did you see on his wall? Was it a Fellowship in Cardiology?

Internists get basic training in all areas of the body, but they can go on to do another 2 year fellowship...its possible he has a special interest in cardiology with a Fellowship.

If you have any doubts, you should either ask for a phone call from him to have him explain if you actually have a murmur- or if you should see a cardiologist, or just make the cardiologist appointment and get yourself checked out.

Anxiety can cause palpitations and racing heart beats, but it cannot cause a murmur. A mumur can be genetic (you are born with it) or it can be a warning sign that something is wrong. I wouldn't ignore it if it were me unless you have a stress test and other tests to clear you first.
    I'm not sure what I saw on my way out the door. It was some sort of certificate and I just remember seeing his name and Cardiology on it. He did say I was probably born with it. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit just because he has a PHD in Bio Chemestry and use to be a Pharmacist? I don't know because if I doubt or question everyone, then how do I know who to believe? He is an MD and is highly recommended in our city. The nurse did tell me that they do echocardiogram there in the office which I'm not sure if that or an EKG shows more.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #6
    esker
    Veteran
    (male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

A heart murmur caused by anxiety is called an innocent murmur. The doctor can tell the difference by ordering diagnostic tests. Most heart murmurs do not require treatment and so your doctor would not be concerned unless you were having other symptoms or if you had a condition like high blood pressure.

An EKG in the office is one of the tests they could use to diagnose the murmur.

If you are not having other symptoms related to the murmur and if you do not have other conditions, then your doctor is correct to be not concerned and you can relax too.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:14 AM   #7
    lin14534
    (female)

lin14534 HB User

During a physical in my 30's the dr told me he heard a heart murmur - he sent me for an echocardiogram which was fine. When I was 40 and pregnant they thought the murmur sounded worse and sent me for another echo - fine also. A few months ago I went for my physical (age 65) and dr wanted another echo. Having anxiety as I do, I was stressed out to the max thinking that 25 years had gone by and I surely now have something wrong related to the murmur, but the echo was normal.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lin14534 View Post
    During a physical in my 30's the dr told me he heard a heart murmur - he sent me for an echocardiogram which was fine. When I was 40 and pregnant they thought the murmur sounded worse and sent me for another echo - fine also. A few months ago I went for my physical (age 65) and dr wanted another echo. Having anxiety as I do, I was stressed out to the max thinking that 25 years had gone by and I surely now have something wrong related to the murmur, but the echo was normal.
    That's very encouraging to hear. I actually remembered going to the Cardiologist back in 2005 because I have one ankle that swells in the summer heat more than anything, and I didn't remember if I had an EKG or Echo...(I think those are different procedures?) anyway, I called the Dr's office to see if they still had my records...I don't live in the same state anymore, and she said they did and since that was the only thing I had done with them, she emailed it to me and in fact it was an echocardiogram and looking at it, back then it stated that I had the murmur but nothing was ever mentioned! Why wouldn't anyone say anything, especially at a Cardiologist office! I would have remembered if they had told me that. So, apparently, I have had it at least the last few years anyway. Glad to know that yours never changed for cause of concern!:-)

Old 07-31-2017, 02:59 PM   #9
    lin14534
    (female)

lin14534 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeymtnrain View Post
    That's very encouraging to hear. I actually remembered going to the Cardiologist back in 2005 because I have one ankle that swells in the summer heat more than anything, and I didn't remember if I had an EKG or Echo...(I think those are different procedures?) anyway, I called the Dr's office to see if they still had my records...I don't live in the same state anymore, and she said they did and since that was the only thing I had done with them, she emailed it to me and in fact it was an echocardiogram and looking at it, back then it stated that I had the murmur but nothing was ever mentioned! Why wouldn't anyone say anything, especially at a Cardiologist office! I would have remembered if they had told me that. So, apparently, I have had it at least the last few years anyway. Glad to know that yours never changed for cause of concern!:-)

A cardiologist office you think would have at least mentioned it. I know some people whose murmurs can be heard at one appt and not the next. I think the majority of murmurs are innocent and aren't connected to anything structurally wrong (i.e. Valves that need replacement, etc). I was so nervous and worked up about having the echo that my heartbeat registered at 100 and never lowered through the whole thing!! Health anxiety is the worst!!!!!

Old 07-31-2017, 04:38 PM   #10
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lin14534 View Post
    A cardiologist office you think would have at least mentioned it. I know some people whose murmurs can be heard at one appt and not the next. I think the majority of murmurs are innocent and aren't connected to anything structurally wrong (i.e. Valves that need replacement, etc). I was so nervous and worked up about having the echo that my heartbeat registered at 100 and never lowered through the whole thing!! Health anxiety is the worst!!!!!
    yes, health anxiety is horrible! It doesn't give you true readings because of the anxiety and they put it in the records anyway! I have been told I have the white coat syndrome or whatever they call it which I believe is the same thing as health anxiety. I think I get more anxiety thinking they are going to throw all kinds of meds at me and I do not like taking meds at all. I try as much natural stuff as I can. Like right now, I'm dealing with ear pain and pressure in one ear...went to the ENT...again, and he can't see anything wrong...go figure!

Closed Thread