It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• New House/Routine Anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
    jaboop35
    (male)

jaboop35 HB User
    New House/Routine Anxiety

So I've had some general anxiety issues in the past, mainly about 7-8 years ago when I was still in college. My wife and I recently bought a house literally 2 minutes from our apartment, and just moved in this past weekend, so I've had all of less than 48 hours to adjust before posting this, but I figured I would see if anyone had any suggestions.

First of all, I've found that I'm very dependent on routines and organization. Obviously with moving and having all of our stuff in boxes still basically, there is no such thing as routine or organization right now. I've learned to rely heavily on being able to just go about my night time routine after my wife goes to bed or small every day tasks that I will now have to change due to having a second story for the first time in my life, or not having the rooms set up exactly the same way. I think I've discovered that some of my fears come from having a downstairs that's basically dark at night now, vs. having under the cabinet lighting in our apartment that dimly lit things up so i'd feel comfortable in spaces and such. Basically just getting anxious about having to change these small things like not having the kitchen right next to the media room I hang out in at night, to having to walk all over the place to find things. I know that things will get better once we're more settled (whenever that is), but was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with similar fears. It's not a huge house, and only the two of us with no pets or anything, but it definitely doesn't feel comfortable or like home. I guess I'm kind of nervous that it will never quite feel like home or that I'll never get comfortable just being there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: New House/Routine Anxiety

It honestly sounds like you have some form of OCD or something similar...
    In order to feel comfortable in your own house, you have to make it your own. Take a day off or spend the rest of the night unpacking- and setting up things to remind you of home. If the darkness bothers you, go to home depot and buy a 12 pack of night lights RIGHT NOW and make due with them until you can install the lighting you want to install.

Moving to a new place is a fantastic adventure! Look at the positives instead of the negatives...

This home is all about what you make of it....you have your wife and your things and as soon as everything is all set up and looks familiar, hopefully you will feel better. Get it done asap-
    Good luck!

Closed Thread