It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Finally Addressing Anxiety - Sertaline/Zoloft Question

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
AnxietySilver
(male)

AnxietySilver HB User
Smile Finally Addressing Anxiety - Sertaline/Zoloft Question

Hi Everybody,
Before saying anything, I am meeting with the doc tomorrow so I wont do anything without professional guidance.

I have had untreated Anxiety for over 12 years - wont get in to the details but its been a major part of my life for a while, but I managed a stressful job and young family anyway - although it was definitely a hit to my quality of life. Anxiety would range from moderate to severe depending on the day. During severe times, didnt sleep, constant thoughts, DP, etc., all of the symptoms of major anxiety.

Recently my wife was diagnosed with Cancer. A few months later my company decided to move to Canada - I couldnt follow as my wifes doctors are here and treatment had already started. The stress shot my already high anxiety through the roof. I finally made the decision to do something about it and started seeing a psychologist. She decided that Zoloft was the best option along with a small dose (25mg) of lamictal (as my anxiety was so cyclical and I suffer from migraines).

I keep detailed logs of every day and how I am feeling so I charted it out. After 3 weeks on 25mg, I felt about 30% better. We went up to 50mg and again, after about 3 weeks of side effects, felt about 60% better. But after 8 weeks on 50mg, my anxiety has suddenly come back is again high and really destroying my quality of life. I hoped it was a blip but its been 12 days straight and today was one of the worst.

Luckily I am fine financially and health benefits wise for at least a year, but I am terrified that there is no way for me to find a decent job and take care of my wife and kids if this extreme anxiety doesn't get better.

My question is, has anyone experienced this? What are your thoughts on next steps - should I abandon Zoloft and try something else? Is raising the dose a viable next step? Again, I will definitely work with my doc tomorrow on this but she is most likely to support either decision. If there is a chance that a higher dose will help, I would like to not have to start this merry go round again. Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
Susie2688
(female)

Susie2688 HB User
Re: Finally Addressing Anxiety - Sertaline / Zoloft Question

Hi there!
As someone who's been on Zoloft before, I found that it helped. I needed more than what the "typical" person would, but it helped. I was on 150mg in the end, but it took several months to get there as they slowly increase the dosage. I started out slow and worked my way up. It helped once I found the dose I needed. Everybody's body reacts differently to meds, so maybe yours just needs a higher dose. Perhaps discussing that with the doctor and trying again with increasing the dosage? Usually it takes about a good month or so to get into your system and take full effect which I know you said it's been longer than a month.

One last note, maybe the medicine that the doctor gave you for anxiety isn't helpful to you. Ask for something like xanax to take instead. When I was taking Zoloft, I was also taking xanax, and the combination of those two drugs REALLY helped with both the depression and anxiety aspect of it.

Personally, I would discuss increasing the dose again and trying a different anti-anxiety medication and see if that helps any. If not, then possibly talk to the doctor about trying another anti-depressant.

I hope everything works out for you in the end and you start to feel better soon

Last edited by Susie2688; 08-14-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
AnxietySilver
(male)

AnxietySilver HB User
Re: Finally Addressing Anxiety - Sertaline / Zoloft Question

Thanks for the reply!

I was unable to meet with my doctor so I am just sucking it up for the time being. Last night I woke up at 5:00 to a panic attack - that hasnt happened in quite a few months and is really freaking me out.

Looking back on the data (I log everything and keep track), the Sertraline was definitely helping - but as soon as I started antibiotics for Strep, it all started going downhill. I cant find anything but anecdotal evidence about interactions between the two so I am am definitely anxious. I think that feeling good for 5 weeks and then feeling bad again for the past 3 weeks has definitely made it worse - I know now what I am missing.

I hope that this is all a reaction to the strep antibiotics (I had to take 3 courses of two different types) but hope is fading fast.

Oh, I do also have Clonazapam but I only take that as needed (.25 once every few weeks) but that really doesnt seem to do much more than take the edge off.

Glad to hear that this medicine worked for you - hopefully it will work out for me in the near future. I will update this thread regardless in case someone else experiences the same thing. Thanks again!

Reply Reply