It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

New Here, Health Anxiety

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2017, 06:38 AM   #1
spidergoat

spidergoat HB User
New Here, Health Anxiety

Hello everyone!
After doing some reading on this forum and seeing many posts about problems similar to mine, I thought I'd make my own post.

My doctor prescribed me Provera for 5 days to start my period (I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and I got it, but about halfway through, I started feeling horribly exhausted. This is not abnormal for me, but what started to scare me was that I continued to feel weak, exhausted, nauseous and lightheaded after it was done. I did see my doctor and was tested for anemia and low thyroid, but everything was normal. I've also been checking my fasting blood sugar, and that's normal too. I've been feeling this way for about 6 days now. Last night, I started having an internal tremor, and I still have it this morning, although it's a little bit better since I took my Klonopin. My fool self decided to google my symptoms, and I've narrowed it down to MS or heart disease. I don't *really* think I have these issues, but I can't stop worrying that I do. I see the doctor this coming Friday and will talk to him about it. Of course I'm also worried about West Nile virus since they found that recently in our area... In the past, I had started having heart palpitations and they did a stress test and a Holter monitor, but everything came back fine and the doc said it was anxiety.
I did a little reading about having anxiety symptoms without feeling anxious. I didn't know that was a thing, but I think that's what's going with me. I also have bipolar disorder and read that internal shaking can be common with that, too.

Sorry if this post is a little disjointed, but I'm very anxious right now. Does anyone have any kind words or suggestions? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: New Here, Health Anxiety

There, there, dear spidergoat, no, you don't have MS or heart disease. You have anxiety.

Are you trying to get pregnant? Is this why you want to regulate your period?

Anxiety is a result of fear and anxiety can also be brought on by the side effects of certain substances. You seem esp. sensitive to side effects and so may do better with natural or bioidentical substances. I think you will be just fine when the side effects from the Provera wear off. You are just fine now even if it doesn't feel like it. This will pass. Keep it in front of your mind that you know you suffer anxiety, and constantly remind yourself to breathe slowly and relax.

Are you taking any B vitamins or magnesium citrate? They help the body deal with stress. It's highly important that you get out in the fresh air and walk if at all possible, and regulate your breathing...slowly breath in and slowly exhale. Even breathe into a bag, and start doing yoga to relieve stress. There are all sorts of online videos.

I'm sure I'm not really sharing anything you don't already know, but it can help to get reminders how to help ourselves. Hyperventilating makes the body and therefore the brain feel more anxious. Pills may have unwanted side effects. There are many things we can do to help ourselves when upset or anxious. We need to do them.
Yes, I totally agree, do not go searching the internet. Instead talk to people that can reassure you, esp those that have some experience similar to you. I have learned to always read drug side effects before taking a drug, to see if side effects contradict the symptoms that I have. I don't have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, but I do get side effects from drugs, esp generic drugs. They are NOT exactly the same as name brand drugs, as they by law have to be different than name brands, so there are 'fillers' added into them.

You might be sensitive to the fillers, as I am. If so, do not let anyone convince you that generics are exactly the same as name brands. They, by law, cannot be exactly the same formula! For this reason I use doctors that know about and will prescribe drugs that have less or no side effects because they are more easily used by the body. For an example, the synthetic drug Provera might jump start a period, but is not identical to the natural hormone progesterone, so there is a greater chance that one can get undesirable side-effects from it.

To regulate your periods you may get better results with a natural, bio-identical progesterone. It is the same hormone already in your body, it has no side effects and is more effective than Provera. It is more effective because the human body can use it. There are many doctors nowadays that prefer or are at least willing to prescribe bio-identical hormones. You can find some names of doctors by asking at pharmacies if there are doctors or nurse practitioners that are prescribing bio-identical hormones, and request their names. (Then you can look those doctors up on Yelp to see what people say about them. Of course, not every patient will always have a positive experience so take personal opinions with a grain of salt.)

While you are researching, look up the side effects of Klonopin. There are natural substances that are effective and have less or no disturbing side effects. For example, one great effect of magnesium citrate is it feeds and soothes the nerves.

Going natural can have a positive effect on anxiety and bi-polar. I'm so sorry you suffer those imbalances. But because you do is all the more reason to use substances that are more easily assimilated and used by your body.

Love & empathy,

Old 09-18-2017, 04:39 AM   #3
spidergoat

spidergoat HB User
Re: New Here, Health Anxiety

Yayagirl,

Thanks for your insightful and very calming reply. No, I am not pregnant. I've had one child, and that was a terrible experience in terms of mental health, although I love my girl more than anything in the world. I ordered a B-vitamin complex and it should be here next week. I know that's very important for my health, and it's nice to be reminded of it. That's a good point that I should be out and walking today. It definitely helps my anxiety. It's so hard to remember to do these things when you're in the middle of some bad anxiety. I think I might look into some natural progesterone cream, if that's something that's effective for PCOS. And yes, NO MORE GOOGLING, lol. It's funny that you mention side effects from medicine, because I called the on-call nurse when I started feeling bad, and she agreed, along with the doctor who originally prescribed the medicine, that it was simply side effects. Of course I didn't believe them...
I am feeling considerably better now. I've been making a point of taking ALL my anxiety meds that are prescribed to me at the proper time during the day. I've been thinking about magnesium citrate, but I'm not sure I could handle another thing that makes me drowsy, which is what it has done in the past.

Reply Reply