It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Can't Shake BP Anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
    Jedi448
    (male)

Jedi448 HB User
    Can't Shake BP Anxiety

Hello everyone.

Here is what I've been dealing with. I have anxiety about taking my blood pressure (in the office and at home). My heart races and I get really anxious while taking it.

Sometimes my BP will be 125/83 and then I'll take it (usually when I get worried about it) and it will be 137/93. My doctor says she's not worried about it because she believes it's just anxiety related, but it really causes me concern.

When I get a higher than "normal" reading I stay anxious for days and limit my activities. My blood work is always perfect, I eat pretty well, drink only water and try to walk most days of the week (1-2 miles in evening).

Does any else deal with this? I try not to worry, but it's so hard when all you hear is your BP must be 120/20 or bad stuff is gonna happen. I should feel fine since my doctor isn't concerned at all, but it's hard to do.

Any suggestions or related experiences would be much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2017, 12:07 AM   #2
    TrainOfThought
    (male)

TrainOfThought HB UserTrainOfThought HB UserTrainOfThought HB User
    Re: Can't Shake BP Anxiety

Hi,
    First things first, if your doctor tells everything is fine so it is fine, the problem here is that you are obsessing over your BP, even though it is fine. It seems to me that you are suffering from a sort of OCD. I recommend seeking for therapy which is very effective. In the meantime my suggestion is when you have the urge to check your BP, try to prolong the action of checking it for some time, stay with the anxiety say one minute and then check your BP. Next time you have the urge of doing that again prolong it for 2 minutes and so on. Also try to label those urges as anxiety/ fear or OCD, label them so you will know that it isn't real but it just fear fueling your behavior and thus obsessing you. Its paradoxical because your anxiety will rise your BP and so reinforcing the fear that your body is ill, but it is just anxiety it is normal to rise your BP when you are anxious
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers

Old 10-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
    Jedi448
    (male)

Jedi448 HB User

Thank you, TrainofThought. I do suffer from some Health Anxiety/OCD isssues. I have been working with someone to try to get on top of it and he actually suggests the same as you - naming my anxiety so I can dismiss it when it shows up.

I actually spoke to two doctors (mine and a person I know) and without telling the person I know what my doctor said, she said I should listen to my doc unless I just want to worry myself sick

I wasn't having the anxiety when I took my BP through the summer and my numbers were always in a range I felt very comfortable with. I've had some stress lately, so I'm sure that's not helping much.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Administrator; 10-25-2017 at 08:25 AM.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

I would also trust your doctor. Were you instructed to check your BP at home? If not, my suggestion would be to put the BP monitor away or even get rid of it. It sounds like it's causing more harm than good, especially if you're getting anxious for days and limiting your activities. Other than that, just keep doing what you're doing as it sounds like you're living a healthy lifestyle.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
    Jedi448
    (male)

Jedi448 HB User

Hi Harri3t,

I was not instructed to check my BP at home. It's just something I started doing on my own. My numbers are typically in the 120s/80s, but when I start feeling weird (pressure in face, flush cheeks, headache) I ALWAYS go to worrying about blood pressure. Then I take it and it's up - usually in the 130/high 80s or low 90s.

My doctor ALWAYS tells me it's nothing to worry about and she would NEVER consider treating it because she doesn't think it's a problem at all. It's tough to get my thoughts around that though. Working with someone to get that better without using meds, so hopefully that will take hold.

Thanks!

Closed Thread