It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Can someone get rid of anxiety just by taking medication though.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
    gal3323
    (female)

gal3323 HB User
    Can someone get rid of anxiety just by taking medication though.

I have been taking medication for anxiety for awhile already. It seems like it only helps a little with it. I was wondering if later the medication will get rid of the anxiety I have. Or I have to do something else to not have anxiety ya. Does anyone have advice on this. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Can someone get rid of anxiety just by taking medication though.

Medications will lower the tendency of reactions, but in truth.....therapy to recognise the automatic thoughts and phych and physiological reactions to those thoughts while on medication will help give you the tools to cope and intervene.
    It takes a lot of work. Living with anxiety and having reaction options at a cognitive level through those episodes are helpful.

Do you have other health issues and are you on other meds?

q

Last edited by quincy; 11-04-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
    gal3323
    (female)

gal3323 HB User

I have the anemia condition. I do take medication for it. I have anxiety to talk to people I don't know though. I don't know how to get rid of my anxiety by just medication ya. Can you give me some advice on this. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I would suggest counselling/therapy that teaches cognitive behavioural therapy. If you can't do that, then anxiety workbooks from a bookstore might be of value.
    q

Old 11-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
    victoria1982
    (female)

victoria1982 HB User

Hi there, Quincy is right-- although meds can help stabilize you and reduce the symptoms, anxiety is ultimately something that has to be dealt with, ideally with a therapist or mental health professional. I totally understand how you feel though, I wake up just wanted to not experience any discomfort or anxiety and for me the meds do help. Staying on an even keel makes me more receptive to the treatment I seek through my psych and ultimately sets me up for more successes. Best of luck to you!

Old 11-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
    JoynLight
    (female)

JoynLight HB User

This is only my opinion, based mostly on my personal experiences.

If your anxiety is caused by a situation, the store, debt, talking to people. ...then list what could happen, really likely to happen, not an imagined life changing event. Write it down, think about it, then write coping strategies. Seeing the truth helps. Looking back on other feared disasters, how many came true? You are a survivor, you are still here!

I started to get over a several year's long phobia because I had no choice. Terrified of driving, until I had to take away someone's keys, and drive them through the pouring rain to get their desperately needed pain meds. I have since driven across the United States and actually enjoyed it.

Meds help, anxiety is a mental illness. Still, with help to address issues, meditation, healthy diet, exercise (!!!!!), and reaching out to others...we can often lessen our symptoms.

One of the problems is that anxiety is often an unwanted guest that searches for a new thing to fear. Pretend it's your mother in law, tell it to back off, not interested, don't have time for your nonsense. ...sometimes that works fairly well. You are not your thoughts.

In time you might be able to lower your dosages, with the guidance of your doctor.

Write a note or card to someone, knowing that you are going to make someone else feel good should do the same for you. It's a great little "trick".

Closed Thread