It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety and antibiotics help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
    Panic530
    (female)

Panic530 HB User
    Anxiety and antibiotics help!

I hope someone on here has some information on this. Background- I have been taking fluoxetine 40mg for nine years. For GAD and Panic Disorder. I've been fine! And managing the anxiety well. Well three weeks ago I got a sinus infection and received a Zpack. For it. Since starting the Med my life has spiraled out of control. I woke up one morning to an intense panic attack. I had no quick acting meds since it's been so long since I suffered one. Since then it's been panic all day long as soon as I wake up! My dr said the Med COULD lower the efficiency of Prozac!! Went to psychiatrist today as I've been missing work and need to get some handle on this. He's not sure if the antibiotic caused it. He did give me klonopin as opposed to Ativan since it's longer lasting. And to take for a week and check back in before adjusting doses of Prozac or different Med. I also had an ekg to make sure no heart rhythm issues.

WHAT is happening? I feel helpless. The klonopin of course is helping but I've had to request to work from home the next few days. I'm fairly new to my job, three months, and freaking out over not wanting to get fired. Although, I don't think they will. My boss is a friend, and will put up a fight if it gets to that. Has anyone had this reaction to antibiotics and HOW long did it last? Did U need to go on new meds or switch meds to get thru it? I'm so upset, I feel like I'm starting all over with this battle... I cry cause I'm so upset I was doing amazing for NINE years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
    JoynLight
    (female)

JoynLight HB User
    Re: Anxiety and antibiotics help!

Very timely, I too took the z pack and it caused so many problems. Fast forward about 3 years, New Doctor, by this time I am on 2mg clonazepam, situation caused panic attacks, GAD, etc.
    Anyway new doc suggested taking a probiotic (after hearing study about animal tests, stress response, vagus nerve, and gut health) I am on day 39. Noticed a difference after about 3 weeks.
    So no more panic attacks, situational bad anxiety less than 30 hours rather than a week and not being able to eat.
    It's not a cure, but a lot better than where I was. I even have short bouts of happiness and hope for the future.
    I just buy the cheapest digestive probiotics (over 10 strains, I believe ), from my local health food store.
    Please keep us updated.
    2 more things,
    1. Expect a few days of stomach discomfort, totally worth it.
    2. Keep a journal of life, feelings, supplements, meds, exercise....and food if that causes any emotional changes.

Good Health, Well Being for All

Closed Thread