It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• learning to open up

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-14-2018, 07:02 AM   #1
    crwddhead15
    (male)

crwddhead15 HB User
    Lightbulb learning to open up

Hello all. I decided it was about time to stop hiding from what I've tried to tell myself I can control without the support of others or a community.

I guess it's the perceived stigma that keeps me holding on to what has been diagnosed as general anxiety. Keeping it all between me and my psychiatrist allowed me to live in the false belief that I could overcome my issues before anyone found out that I wasn't "normal." It was a terrible weight to carry and I now know that it only made episodes heavier and more frequent. Anyone relate?

I was diagnosed in university at 23 and am just weeks away from turning 32 and am married. It makes me a bit ashamed when I think I tried to hide this for nearly a decade, but with the support of my wife and the people I have told I am working on focusing on the steps I take from here on out and not the ones I didn't take in the past.

My anxiety has limited me from pursuing innumerable opportunities and friendships. It leaves me with the heavy weight on my chest that makes it hard to breathe. It makes me fidget. It makes me question everything around me, no matter how stable or reliable the circumstances appear. These are just some of the daily struggles.

Last year I started the journey to being more open about my anxiety and seeking support, resources, and tools to help me improve without hiding anything... or trying not to. At times I surprise myself with how automatic is the habit to hide.

Now I look back on how just out of control things really were as I was trying to get things under control. It was a deeply false assumption that I could handle everything on my own and keep it hidden.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to interacting here.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-14-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply