It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Can meds stop working?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
    USMC1975
    (male)

USMC1975 HB User
    Can meds stop working?

I have been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks for about 15 years now. 13 years ago I began taking Prozac 20 mg. After a couple months, everything started to get better. I was about 95% normal most of the time. About 10 months ago, seems like overnight, everything started all over again. It was completely out of the blue. No major changes in my life. I go back to my Dr and he increased the Prozac to 40mg and I began seeing a psychologist. The psychologist added BuSpar but I really can't tell any difference with it.

My question is, can the Prozac stop working even after increasing dosage? Should I talk with my Dr about trying a different SSRI? Anyone else had this problem? What should I replace the Prozac with? If I change, will there be a period of time where things may get worse in between the old and new meds?

I really hate starting new medication because I am sort of a mediphobe. Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated.

Chad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2018, 02:51 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Can meds stop working?

Your body can get used to the drug you are on which needs in turn to be increased...since this was already prescribed for you, it's very important that you communicate with your doctor and let him/ her know that it is not working. You probably do need to be on a new drug. Talk to your doctor as soon as possible about this so that you do not slide backwards in your anxiety!

Old 08-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #3
    USMC1975
    (male)

USMC1975 HB User

I just got finished with my Dr appointment. He changed my meds from Prozac to Cymbalta. Any advice or comments on making the change?

Old 08-30-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Hon, give it some time. You just have to wait and see.

Also, drugs alone cannot resolve anxiety. It helps to find a good counselor.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
    Frank Furter
    (male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
    Cool Re: Can meds stop working?

I suppose they can. I know you can build up a resistance to benzos over time. You need to keep taking higher doses to get the same effect and this can lead to addiction. I don't think the body builds up resistance to antidepressants. However, other things can change the way your body reacts to them over time such as changes in your overall health, increasing age, etc.

Reply Reply