It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• What do you do when your anxiety makes you feel useless?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-14-2018, 12:13 AM   #1
    WalksInBeauty
    (female)

WalksInBeauty HB User
    Unhappy What do you do when your anxiety makes you feel useless?

Hoping to hear from others as to what they do when their anxiety is so bad it makes them feel useless -- specifically what helps you to calm down?

I worked a job today doing something new, and the uncertainty of it made me feel useless (i.e. constantly having to ask others what to do), increasing my anxiety to the point where I nearly had a panic attack. The uncertainty was almost paralyzing. I felt convinced that if I didn't ask someone how to do something, I would undoubtedly do it wrong. I was able to keep it together fur the duration of the job, but fell to pieces when I got home, and am still sobbing.

I'm going to be going back on my anti-depressant, and am seeing a therapist. In the meantime, I'd love to hear what tips and tricks help you calm down when you're feeling anxious/uncertain/useless in the moment. What works for you?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

The following user gives a hug of support to WalksInBeauty:
    yayagirl (10-14-2018)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: What do you do when your anxiety makes you feel useless?

Dear WalksInBeauty,

First thing to do is remember your username....and walk in your beauty.

The most intelligent people always ask for the opinions of others. There is NOTHING whatsoever useless about that fact. I don't believe you need therapy. You just need a reality check.

I think you are mistaking emotions for lack of intelligence. We feel unsure when we need more information, simply because at the time we ARE unsure. It is perfectly intelligent to ask for more information.

Every person feels unsure at times.
    Hon, you are perfectly normal. The reason you think others don't feel like you is because you cannot be under their skin. You are just under your own.

I think somehow you may have gotten the idea that what others think of you is what matters most. But no, it is what YOU think of you that controls how you feel. When I realized this, I was set free from anxiety. Yes, I still have times when I need to correct my own self-talk. A lot of negativity affected me when I was a child. But we are responsible for what we say to ourselves.

You can change those old self-condemning words and tell yourself the truth, from today on! You go, girl!

Love,

Last edited by Administrator; 10-17-2018 at 04:18 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    anxiety, panic attack, stress, uncertainty, useless