It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

Starting Sertraline slowly? Advice please.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #1
Chellybean18
(female)

Chellybean18 HB UserChellybean18 HB UserChellybean18 HB User
Starting Sertraline slowly? Advice please.

So tomorrow I am to start Sertraline. My psychiatrist said to start slow with it. He gave me 50 mg to break in half and take for a week...my question is is it safe to break the 25 mg in half as well and start even slower? I'm a huge baby when it comes to side effects but id take 12.5 my for a week then 25 mg for a week then 50mg then I would see him again. Has anyone ever done this? Thanks. Also share experiences if you like. Preferably positive ones lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Starting Sertraline slowly? Advice please.

Sure Chellybean18, you can do that.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Starting Sertraline slowly? Advice please.

Chellybean, I wish I had known to do what you're doing by cutting down on the dosage. Several decades ago I got a prescription from a psychiatrist and I wrongly assumed that she knew what she was doing. The pill was not that big so I figured: What harm could it do? The instructions were to take it before bedtime. It's a good thing I woke up with the urge to empty my bladder because, to my shock and surprise, the whole left side of my body was numb. You know the feeling you get when you sit on your foot and it falls asleep? That's how half of my body felt. Luckily, I was able to get my circulation going and back to normal.

The problem: I have really great blood pressure on the low side, usually about 100/50. The lower the better as long as there is no dizziness. However, I have since learned that I can't take anything before going to sleep that will cause my blood pressure to go any lower. And that includes aspirin.

The next day I called the office and told them what happened and they suggested that I cut the pill in half. So I did that but it was still too much. I tried cutting it even smaller and it was still too much. I finally decided not to take any of it and I was happy to feel normal again. I realized that I felt much better because I don't like feeling drugged.

Now here I am decades later with the same good blood pressure and I know better than to take anything that will have the effect of lowering my blood pressure, especially before going to sleep.

Last edited by JohnR41; 12-06-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Reply Reply