It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety vs OCD?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
    JLS08
    (female)

JLS08 HB User
    Anxiety vs OCD?

Is irrational fear a symptom of OCD or is it just bad anxiety? I have this issue where I will get fixated on a problem. For instance, say I read that there have been three murders in my neighborhood, I will suddenly get very anxious and will be afraid to go outside. I will get on the internet and try to find any information I can to help me feel safer and reassure me that I'm ok, like that the murderer has been captured, or that he/she only targeted gangs, blondes, etc. Sometimes I will worry every time I hear a creak in the house that that person may be trying to break in and my heart beats hard and i get panicked. At first I thought this was normal because there was something real I was afraid of, but it seems no one else in my family has the issue where they worry all the time and are constantly looking things up about the issue online. The biggest problem is I feel like this the great majority of the time. Once I realize I know longer have to worry about this issue, my mind seems to move on to another issue to worry about and then I spend more time on the internet trying to reassure myself that I'm ok with that. It's hard to live this way. I figure this can't be normal. I'm just wondering if this could be an OCD symptom and if any of you have experienced it or if it's probably just anxiety. I'm not asking for a diagnosis. I'm just wondering about this particular symptom.

Last edited by JLS08; 01-28-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Anxiety vs OCD?

Dear JLS,

I don't think anyone can know exactly what is behind what you feel and do. It would not be more than a guess.

I can share with you that I used to always worry over what everything meant and what other people thought. It took me a lot of years to realize that no one knows what everything means, and more than what we think, it matters what we choose to do.

What we can choose to do is relax. We can choose to breathe slowly instead of holding our breath. Holding our breath makes the heart pound and deprives us of oxygen so of course the body feels panic. Relaxing gets oxygen to the brain so we can think clearly and then relax. It is a choice that we can make.

Breathe and think or hold our breath and not get enough oxygen. That is your choice.
    You choose. Does that make sense?

Maybe you suffer anxiety. But, isn't OCD still just anxiety?
    It is what we tell ourselves about things that creates what we feel.

It is OK to start telling yourself the truth that even when the floor creaks, you are alive, you can breathe and you are safe; then you will feel OK.

I think worrying feels normal to you because you have not yet changed your mind about it.

Let me assure you that you seem very intelligent, which to me means that you can change your mind and change what you choose to dwell on. Your mind is your own to control. You can make your own choices.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

This definiately sounds more like anxiety than OCD because your reasons for being anxious seem to change with whatever is on your mind; this is not usually OCD as people with OCD generally have specific issues; like always walking through the house 3 times to make sure doors and windows are locked or leaving and going back to the door 5 times to make sure its locked or check to make sure something is turned off. These are just examples of the type of OCD I have dealt with (with a family member).

Either way, it is an issue which you need to talk to someone about. I would start with your family doctor and ask them to refer you to someone who can help. You may need some medication to take the edge off or you may need cognitive or talk therapy to help you learn how to cope with these feelings; nevertheless, they are VERY REAL so they need to be dealt with before this takes over your life.

Did this just start recently or have you dealt with this for a long time?

Old 01-30-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I think more anxiety. OCD is a resulting behavioural way of coping with anxiety and automatic irrational thoughts, but it's controlled with behaviours to soothe, becoming habitual with bargaining and more irrational thoughts, basically.

I suggest a therapist who can teach you cognitive behavioural therapy. It will allow you to recognise irrational thoughts and to see rational options for any situations that cause distress.
    You can learn about your hard-wiring and how to intervene if you see your thoughts and symptoms are starting to cycle.

q

Old 06-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #5
    LaraA
    (female)

LaraA HB User

I would say its a bit of both. There are different kinds of OCD, and one kind is irrational thoughts. This type of OCD will have you trying to calm your mind by looking online for info that makes you "feel better" but its a viscous cycle and you will do it over and over. You are supposed to break the cycle by not giving into it! Google irrational thoughts OCD and you will see much much info.

Reply Reply