It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Can anxiety get better without medicine? Has anyone had any luck?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
    JLS08
    (female)

JLS08 HB User
    Can anxiety get better without medicine? Has anyone had any luck?

I’m pretty sure I have anxiety issues but I plan to see a doctor soon. I am always worrying abut something and my stomach is almost constantly in knots. I’ll have an issue and spend hours online trying to make myself feel better. It will often work in some way, but then I will come upon something else while looking on the internet and that will make me worry more, either about the same issue or something else. Once I finally get rid of my fear of issue XYZ another usually totally unrelated issue will pop up and I’ll repeat the cycle with that new worry. I get horrible images in my head I can’t get rid of and I feel like I can’t get rid of the worries on my own unless I have another worry to replace them. I get a bit sweaty and my heart beats harder. My usual worries are about health and safety, but I worry about other things as well. I don’t watch the news and I’ve given up social media because often people’s posts make my anxiety worse. I’m trying to give up my TV binge watching because I’ve read that can make anxiety worse and I’ve given up all forms of caffeine. I've even started a more whole foods diet including omega 3 supplements in hopes that that will help. I’ve gotten to the point where I just want to sleep all day because my anxiety is best when I’m sleeping. I’m just wondering if anyone has found anything besides medicine that helps their anxiety. I will go on medicine if it’s the best thing but I’m just wondering if I have other options.

Last edited by JLS08; 02-06-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Can anxiety get better without medicine? Has anyone had any luck?

Dear JLS,

You are already making helpful changes. Kudos about that!
    Besides those things you have been doing cognitive therapy can be as effective as you make it to be. From my own experience I believe we can decide to do the work of changing what we dwell on and how we think. It becomes possible to change how you think when you make the decision to truly open your mind to new thought patterns and positive ideas.

Finding a doctor or counselor that is open and knows how to listen and give honest feedback is helpful, too. The one doctor that helped me the most taught me how to make my self relax, and also shared with me that every person has hardship, then told me how he had all sorts of insurance and policies but the tow service didn't answer a phone call because his location was out of range, and his washing machine broke down and flooded his house when he had guests, among other things. It isn't as if I didn't know these things can and do happen to anyone. My problem was what I had been telling my self when problems and life happened to me.

I know first hand that it is possible to decide for yourself to change what you dwell on. The fact is that NO one outside of us has the power to make us change whatever we think. And as you recognize, drugs can dull the mind, but have some very problematic side effects and might keep us safe from an extreme circumstance but they do not cure the anxiety.

There are some very helpful are brain food diets that help us to relax and get healthy, too. I am talking about a healthy diet, not nutrient formulas that someone created.

Take heart. You can make life changes. Some anxious emotion is normal, but when it has been allowed to rule one's life then change needs to be and can be made.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:04 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Cognitive behavioral therapy may help you... as would simply starting therapy with a therapist... you need to learn how to manage your thoughts and distract yourself from negative ones. Therapy may do the trick, but if not, there is no shame in getting some help with medication.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
    Snoopy61
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Hi JLS08.

Anxiety can be just horrible, I'm sorry you are dealing with it.

Some suggestions;

In most case anxiety can be triggered by our thoughts, fears and concerns. Changing your thought process is one of the most effective ways to reduce or resolve anxiety. Negative thoughts add to more negative thoughts and creates a vicious cycle of anxiety. With patience and practice you can stop those negative thoughts and replace them with things that you are grateful/thankful for. Positive thoughts creates more positivity and less anxiety.

Mindfulness/meditation is also helpful for anxiety. Learning proper breathing exercises will stop anxiety from taking hold and is a way to calm yourself.

Please seek the help of a Psychotherapist who can help you find other coping skills to reduce, resolve, and bring peace to your life. A willingness to work the process that comes with seeking therapy and patience with it is what will help you.

Reply Reply