It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Images.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
    Truel
    (male)

Truel HB User
    Images.

Hi,
    So I've never been mentally ill in my life, ever. But lately I've had a really hard time getting sleep.
    This may sound weird but when I go to bed I feel fine, but when I start closing my eyes and trying to sleep, insanely gruesome pictures just pop into my mind and I visualize them without trying to. They vary from eyes staring to people getting killed and deformed faces. I get incredibly scared, I feel butterflies in my chest and I have to get up and turn on lights etc. To make them stop. I also get really hot. Is this symptoms of anxiety or depression etc??

As I said I've never ever been diagnosed or felt like I have depression or anxiety.
    I've tried asmr, music, audiobooks, hell even yoga! and everything works for a few months, but it always returns.

Can you help me?
    A distressed teen trying to get sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Images.

Sounds very scary. Have you discussed it with anyone else such as your doctor?
    Are you having any other thoughts like that during your waking hours?

q

Old 06-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Images.

Dear Truel,

I used to have bizarre and scary dreams too. I don't at all believe that means one is mentally ill or needs a doctor. Things we heard of or read about or saw in movies stick in our minds. The brain acts like a sponge toward what we put into it. We can even get weird dreams from stress in our lives. We can choose to change what we put in our minds, and so change what we dwell on. It seems like dreams just happen to us, but we choose what to put into our minds every day.

Think about what types of stories you read or things that you watch or see advertised. Those thoughts stay in our minds until we categorize the thoughts and choose to let go of them. A friend helped me see that no one can think of two things at once. Think of a tree, then think of a teacher. You might be able to picture the teacher by a tree, but you can see they are separate. You can choose what to dwell on before you go to sleep. Some people like to pray before going to sleep. I think that can be a good way to help ourselves relax and dwell on good things.

Is there anyone, a relative or friend that you can talk with? Or you can just talk it out here. Never be afraid of dreams. They have no power over you. But I understand that dreams can be confusing or scary feeling. Think about what ever is stressing you out the most lately. Scary dreams are pretty common. They may only mean that you are bothered about something that you know about. Your mind may be replaying stuff you have read or heard about. I may talk to a counselor but I absolutely would not talk to a psyche doctor about them. It is amazing how quickly we can get labeled or put on drugs for ordinary human experiences.

What helped me stop having scary dreams was to ask myself what they symbolize to me. I also have talked about them with a counselor. A good counselor just asks questions and does not judge or tell you what dreams mean. A good counselor listens and helps you look at what the dream symbolizes to you.

Do you watch scary videos or movies? I loved those when I was a teen. Later on in life I realized life has enough harsh realities and I stopped watching the junky videos and movies, and the dreams stopped.

Reply Reply