It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Is this a panic attack, anxiety or something else?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-14-2020, 10:23 PM   #1
    dianajune1962
    (female)

dianajune1962 HB User
    Is this a panic attack, anxiety or something else?

I've been having a very hard time coping with the pandemic, like most everyone else. I'm tired of being isolated and being far from family and friends because of this national crisis.

I think the stress is getting to me, and I've got a hx of mental health issues inc. depression, anxiety, PTSD and OCD.

I purchased a pulse/ox device and use it constantly. I'm always worried about my heart rate. I have not been diagnosed with heart disease but it does run in my family, esp. on Mom's side.

If I dwell on the negative stuff in my life, my heart rate will increase. It seems that constantly checking my heart rate on this pulse/ox thing makes it go up if I look at it too much. I decided to get this device because of my asthma & COPD, just to stay on top of those symptoms should I ever get diagnosed with Covid or be exposed to someone who has it. So far I have not had any contact with a Covid patient. That I know of.

It's not unusual for my heart rate to go up to the mid or upper 90's if I get agitated, but this evening I noticed that it climbed to over 100, like around 110 or 105. I tried to calm myself down but nothing worked. So I phoned a telephone counseling service. The man I spoke with was very helpful and he had a soothing tone to his voice.

The more I spoke, the more my heart rate went up. The more I shut up and listened to him, the more it went down. At one point it went down to 84, which is way below what it was earlier.

I forgot to mention that I have sleep apnea but am very good about using my machine. But last night I got very little rest and maybe got about 4 or 4 1/2 hours max on it. Maybe that's why my heart rate worsened this evening?

When my IBS kicks in, which can be quite painful, my heart rate will go up then too.

I don't know what to make of this. My symptoms seem to be related to stress.

I don't have chest pain, dizziness or shortness of breath during these episodes. In fact, my ox readings have been much better than usual, normally around 96 or 97. I am very overweight and confined to a wheelchair but hope to be able to improve on my mobility (weight and arthritis-related) and walk more again.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. I am scared. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #2
    dianajune1962
    (female)

dianajune1962 HB User
    Re: Is this a panic attack, anxiety or something else?

Update (sort of):

I slept in this morning because I didn't get to bed until late last night. It's about 10:15am and I haven't started my chores yet.

I reached out to SUNY Upstate because they have telemedicine appointments, but that didn't work out. The adult psych clinic said they do those appointments but I'd have to wait until January. She offered more phone numbers, which I declined.

I tried to schedule a virtual ER visit (even though I am not suicidal, just miserable) and I'd have to wait several hours.

I never thought it would be this hard to get help. I messaged SUNY Upstate on their ** page and told them about my struggles to get help and they said they'd get back to me. I hope it won't take them long.

Meanwhile, I'm still anxious and worried. My pulse/ox readings aren't bad this morning. My heart rate is in the mid to upper 70's and lower 80's. For now.

I really could use some advice on how to cope. Thank you.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #3
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Is this a panic attack, anxiety or something else?

With all the different health issues you mentioned, I assume you must be on multiple medications. If so, that can increase your need for certain vitamins. That would be all the more reason to eat only healthy whole, nutrient-dense foods. To me, that would be the key to turning things around.

In my opinion, a healthy, high fiber, whole foods, plant based diet is the way to go. Some protein is needed but the main emphasis should be on whole plant-foods.

In my opinion, medical doctors can offer new medications or change existing medications, but they can't do the most important thing which is to improve your diet. So, in that sense, you have more power to implement improvements than they do.

Good luck and best wishes for improvement.

John

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
    dianajune1962 (10-17-2020)
    Old 10-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
    dianajune1962
    (female)

dianajune1962 HB User
    Wink Re: Is this a panic attack, anxiety or something else?

Sorry for my delay in responding. It's been a very long week. I had a virtual ER visit not long after I posted that comment and will be ok. The doctor prescribed a mild anti-anxiety drug but he also recommended I do some meditations. He showed me how to do one and it helps alot.

Re. my diet, I've already made improvements. Less salt, less processed foods and more veggies and fruits. I like some vegetarian food (like veggie burgers) and I eat less red meat than I used to.

My weight is going down again. I lost about half the weight I put on since the pandemic began. So far, so good!

That night had to have been the worst I had in years. I was freaking out.

I'm grateful for this community. Thank you for responding!

Reply Reply