It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety and panic attacks start to get hold of me... help me to revert this!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-14-2021, 03:05 PM   #1
    Alexsante

Alexsante HB User
    Anxiety and panic attacks start to get hold of me... help me to revert this!

Hello

I'm Alex, in my late thirties. Beside some worries about school performance, about other's perception of me, about this and that, i was always ok to good, and balanced, psychologically speaking.

Nonetheless, some anxiety about the future started to pile up, as my parents grew older, my mom retired, many of my younger cousins started to have families while i was single. But the tippoint point was two years ago, when i took my first real job in the corporate world, and in a new industry, in a new city where i didn't want to live. I had a panic attack in the plane when i went for my interview. One month before my expatriation, i started to have extrasystoles, did exams, doc didn't see anything, and it went away after a few days. And during those two years, i had several physical manifestations of anxiety, and/or anxiety being created by physical problems: sore throat for 6 months, some kind of reflux, heartburn, etc. And every 6 months, a panick attack. Always the same routine, i go to E.R., do blood checks & all, nothing to report.

Now i came back to my home country, but still away from my family. Intense job. Lockdown, a bit alone. And in a downward spiral, my mind is focusing on some kind of heartburn/GERD that is becoming permanent, and every symptoms increase the anxiety, the fear boost the symptoms and prevent me to go see a doctor as i'm afraid of invasive exams.

Every night, even if i elevate my head, i feel a discomfort, a weight in my chest/belly, even if i do stretching, yoga, eat well... and the mind is focusing on it, and have difficulties letting go, to sleep, afraid that this problem is something bad, that i won't wake up.

In other words, this situation starts to be super annoying and a hindrance, preventing me to take the plane now, or the boat, or any situation that would make me self-aware of being stranded from civilization, from a doctor, etc.

Your concrete advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to Alexsante:
    Jamie Adrian (02-17-2021)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2021, 04:02 PM   #2
    Alexsante

Alexsante HB User
    Re: Anxiety and panic attacks start to get hold of me... help me to revert this!

any advice?

Old 02-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Anxiety and panic attacks start to get hold of me... help me to revert this!

If you think you have reflux, you can try an acid reducing med such as Pepcid AC (not the Complete version) or eventually a PPI.

Regarding thoughts...impossible to not have them, but getting your mind into a state where you have altered your behaviour really needs you to seek professional help in how to deal with those thoughts,

Do a look into cognitive Behavioural therapy and see how that can help you. It gets your thoughts to a cognitive level of understanding what and why you are thinking... and then you offering yourself possible options of the what and why on a rational level allows you to intervene.

Hope that makes sense.

q

Reply Reply