It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Does this issue have a name?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-18-2022, 05:55 PM   #1
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User
    Does this issue have a name?

I have an issue where I can't put knowledge into practice very well. For example, I can get employment with a company such as a call center, go through the training, pass the written test, and then come up totally empty when it comes to actually doing the job itself, as if I didn't even train for it.

That happened to me a few times before, and again just recently. It's as if the knowledge about how to do things is in my head so I can pass a test, but actually applying that knowledge in practice by being able to carry out what I learned is absent. It's like I know how to do it in theory, but not in practice. It's as if there's a barrier there. Very frustrating and keeps me from employment, even though I theoretically know how to do the job.

I assume this is some sort of mental disorder beyond just simple anxiety. I'm curious to discover what it's called so I can begin dealing with it. Right now, I haven't got a clue as to where to start in dealing with it. Anyone here recognize what I'm talking about?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2022, 07:53 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Does this issue have a name?

I can tell you my story which may be somewhat similar. I've been retired for a long time now, but when I was in grade school my homeroom teacher announced that she was going to give us an IQ test. I thought it sounded like fun and was eager to get started. I breezed through it and felt good about it.

The next day the teacher was to give us the results. She came over to my desk to talk to me personally about my IQ score. She said I was just barely getting passing grades on my report card, but according to my high IQ score I should be getting much higher grades.

The only thing I can imagine that caused that is I tend to get bored with things very fast, like reading a book that I don't find interesting as a homework assignment, or memorizing a long list of words for a spelling test. But I was excited about the IQ test. So for me I think it was about motivation. I just wasn't all that motivated for routine class work.

Perhaps the jobs you qualified for are just not interesting enough to motivate you. Do you find them too repetitive and therefore uninteresting?

Old 09-22-2022, 12:13 PM   #3
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    I can tell you my story which may be somewhat similar. I've been retired for a long time now, but when I was in grade school my homeroom teacher announced that she was going to give us an IQ test. I thought it sounded like fun and was eager to get started. I breezed through it and felt good about it.

The next day the teacher was to give us the results. She came over to my desk to talk to me personally about my IQ score. She said I was just barely getting passing grades on my report card, but according to my high IQ score I should be getting much higher grades.

The only thing I can imagine that caused that is I tend to get bored with things very fast, like reading a book that I don't find interesting as a homework assignment, or memorizing a long list of words for a spelling test. But I was excited about the IQ test. So for me I think it was about motivation. I just wasn't all that motivated for routine class work.

Perhaps the jobs you qualified for are just not interesting enough to motivate you. Do you find them too repetitive and therefore uninteresting?
    Your story reminds me of when I took an IQ test too. I scored so high that I was easily at a college level. It showed that I was really high up on the scale, but it really makes me think about the difference between "book smart" and "real world smart". If I'm so smart, then why can't I follow instructions? Why can't I understand how to apply what I know to the job I'm to do?

It's possible I find a job too repetitive and boring, but in my case I couldn't even get started. In the instance of the call center job I referenced before, I took the test and passed it. Then when I was placed on practice calls (with a trainer taking the place of an actual customer), I couldn't figure out what the first step was, or what to click on to access a database, or which field to fill out. The trainer was patient with me and would say, "Here's what you need to look for. What do you click on to access it?" I would think about it for awhile, and have to say each time, "I don't know!", and I'd get more frustrated each time because I could see I was getting nowhere at all. I mean, I knew when I took the test, but I didn't know (no matter how long I thought about it) when it came time to put it into practice---even though I was only dealing with a trainer.

Most recently, I applied to be a voluntary moderator on a website. I was given the training and instructions over a 2 month period, and then took a test, which I passed. Now I'm being given assignments, and I can't remember how I'm supposed to do anything. I still have all the training material, and I can't find the answers there. So much for my "High IQ".

Old 09-24-2022, 07:48 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

It seems it might have a lot to do with how you perceive a situation. You may feel more relaxed during a test because you don't have someone sitting there waiting for the right response to each and every question. With a trainer sitting there waiting for the correct response, the added pressure can block out what you learned.

That sort of thing often happens to me too. When I am by myself I can think of a lot of things I would say to a person. Then if I happen to see that person, face to face, my mind goes blank. All the things I thought I would remember to say or ask are gone. My best ideas come to me when I'm alone.

Old 09-24-2022, 12:55 PM   #5
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    It seems it might have a lot to do with how you perceive a situation. You may feel more relaxed during a test because you don't have someone sitting there waiting for the right response to each and every question. With a trainer sitting there waiting for the correct response, the added pressure can block out what you learned.

That sort of thing often happens to me too. When I am by myself I can think of a lot of things I would say to a person. Then if I happen to see that person, face to face, my mind goes blank. All the things I thought I would remember to say or ask are gone. My best ideas come to me when I'm alone.
    Yeah, alone is when I'm at my best as well. That's why that's my favorite times. But even when I do that website moderator stuff, I'm alone. In fact, I could spend all day trying to find the answers, but still can't or it just takes a long time, even though it's information I once already knew. I'm still in training, but I'm about ready to tell them that it's not for me, which is another frustration; knowing that I failed at something else.

BTW, those call center jobs never worked out either. In 2 of them, I was let go before training was completed. The 3rd one is where I passed the test, but then couldn't do the job.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:27 AM   #6
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

When you're alone in training as a moderator, why not have a sheet of information that you will need, and keep it in front of you. Then over a period of time, through repetition, you may not need it.

Old 09-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #7
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    When you're alone in training as a moderator, why not have a sheet of information that you will need, and keep it in front of you. Then over a period of time, through repetition, you may not need it.
    It's way too much information for a sheet of paper. They gave me 6 web pages that I can refer to, but it's hard to follow it all. Knowing how to apply each thing to a given situation, understanding why certain things are done--that's the practical side of it that I have a hard time with. Personally, I think the moderation of the site is overly complex. I was offered moderation privileges on a different site awhile back, and it was so simple that it only involved about 5 steps. No training needed. I was expecting this one to be like that, not 2 months of instructions followed by a month of "hands-on" training (which I see others taking 3 months)--for a job that doesn't even come with a paycheck.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:24 AM   #8
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StayFit42 View Post
    It's way too much information for a sheet of paper. They gave me 6 web pages that I can refer to, but it's hard to follow it all. Knowing how to apply each thing to a given situation, understanding why certain things are done--that's the practical side of it that I have a hard time with. Personally, I think the moderation of the site is overly complex. I was offered moderation privileges on a different site awhile back, and it was so simple that it only involved about 5 steps. No training needed. I was expecting this one to be like that, not 2 months of instructions followed by a month of "hands-on" training (which I see others taking 3 months)--for a job that doesn't even come with a paycheck.
    Yeah, 6 pages of instructions is too much. I know what that's like. I've been on message boards where I tried reading the rules and it goes on and on and it seems like there's no end to it, so I just give up on it. And sometimes at the end it says, "These rules can be changed at any time without notice." So that means if you want to make sure you're in compliance, you would have to reread the rules every once in a while. No thanks. It may be good for the owners but that's about it.

Reply Reply