It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Another derealization question (SORRY)=-(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
    GodChaser777
    (male)

GodChaser777 HB User
    Another derealization question (SORRY)=-(

Sorry for the ?'s but iam really trying to determine if its derealization that has been plaguing me for like 3 years now I have anxiety but. am not on any meds. From what ive mustered from the boards most ppl get this derealization while being anxious. I can just be setting around as calm and collective as can be and I can get some severe episodes. Is this the case can you get this while being calm I mean so calm almost about to fall asleep and ill get it. Its really making me nevous/scared so someone with some knowlege please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2003, 08:09 PM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: Another derealization question (SORRY)=-(

When I was having panic attacks I had the derealization a lot.
    I did have some bad episodes while I was anxious.
    But, some of the worst episodes where while I felt very calm, just like you said relaxed and calm enough to fall asleep.

I know that really didn't give you any answers, but at least you know you're not the only one that has it at calm as well as anxious moments.

Old 12-01-2003, 08:48 PM   #3
    GodChaser777
    (male)

GodChaser777 HB User

Np Iam really sick of this it almost makes me to the point to where I want to give up I just need to know if its definatly derealization

Old 12-02-2003, 03:22 AM   #4
    monkyfunky
    (male)

monkyfunky HB User

Yeah I get it a lot when I think I am calm. Derealisation doesn't seem to fit any normal pattern, so I wouldn't bother trying to make it. It's also useless tring to fight, as it feeds on fear. Although it's hard not to try and fight it sometimes when you are really fed up with it.

It will pass as you anxiety decreases. Work on CBT.

Old 12-02-2003, 08:35 PM   #5
    normorcrazy
    Senior Veteran

normorcrazy HB User

Can you explain what you are feeling? When I have these episodes I feel disconnected, like I'm in a dream and I'm watching what's going. I've even questioned whether I was dead cause things seemed so unreal. It's very scarey. I've learned to overcome my episodes with lots of self talk. When I feel myself feeling that way I tell myself I will be fine and do some deep breathing techniques. I was also told to grab onto something real, like a table or something, and keep feeling it. This helps your mind understand that the things around you are real. Group therapy has been a life saver for me. I never realized so many people with panic/anxiety disorders had derealization episodes. If you think that's what's going on and therapy is an option, please take it. You will learn lots of techniques that will help! Take care

Old 12-02-2003, 08:48 PM   #6
    rainonwindow

rainonwindow HB User

Derealization can also be the only symptom of a simple partial seizure. Fear can also be the only symptom of a simple partial seizure. Don't assume that the cause couldn't be neurological.

Old 12-02-2003, 09:33 PM   #7
    GodChaser777
    (male)

GodChaser777 HB User

I also feel rather disconnected before I knew it was called Derealization the only way I could explain it was to call it an Unreality spell everything around me just seems real odd and looks strange kinda cloudy. I try closing my eyes and rubbing them to try to take it away sometimes it works sometimes it dosent ive went months without a spell. But its starting to come more and more as of late.

Old 12-05-2003, 12:39 AM   #8
    Sanguine
    Inactive

Sanguine HB User

Godchaser,

I'd bet all of my marbles that you are in fact experiencing derealization, which, in my opinion, is the most disturbing side effect of anxiety. I too have had spells out of the blue, and even as I'm drifting off to sleep. It's very distressing, but keep it in perspective by reminding yourself that it is your mind's way of coping with stressful episodes. The other thing to remember is that there is a very good chance that while you think you feel calm when these episodes come on, there are always thoughts, conscious or subconscious, that are causing you anxiety.

Furthermore, your fear of derealization itself keeps it recurring -- I know this from experience, and it's quite frustrating. It's just another illogical, counterintuitive element of anxiety. Learn to accept it and allow your anxiety-producing thoughts to come and go. The minute you start resisting thoughts or labeling them as scary or uncontrollable, they become just that. Easier said than done, I know.

Finally, it may well be that others are more susceptible to derealization than others...and that your susceptibility to it on a day to day basis may fluctuate depending on your energy level. I recently experienced that weird foggy vision that you mentioned for the first time -- like things are hazy around you. Not fun...but again, it will go away when you relax and stop the inward thinking.

Good luck...

Old 12-05-2003, 05:53 AM   #9
    GodChaser777
    (male)

GodChaser777 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sanguine
    Godchaser,

I'd bet all of my marbles that you are in fact experiencing derealization, which, in my opinion, is the most disturbing side effect of anxiety. I too have had spells out of the blue, and even as I'm drifting off to sleep. It's very distressing, but keep it in perspective by reminding yourself that it is your mind's way of coping with stressful episodes. The other thing to remember is that there is a very good chance that while you think you feel calm when these episodes come on, there are always thoughts, conscious or subconscious, that are causing you anxiety.

Furthermore, your fear of derealization itself keeps it recurring -- I know this from experience, and it's quite frustrating. It's just another illogical, counterintuitive element of anxiety. Learn to accept it and allow your anxiety-producing thoughts to come and go. The minute you start resisting thoughts or labeling them as scary or uncontrollable, they become just that. Easier said than done, I know.

Finally, it may well be that others are more susceptible to derealization than others...and that your susceptibility to it on a day to day basis may fluctuate depending on your energy level. I recently experienced that weird foggy vision that you mentioned for the first time -- like things are hazy around you. Not fun...but again, it will go away when you relax and stop the inward thinking.

Good luck...

Thanks a bunch something I needed to hear its always good to know your not the only one in the boat!

Closed Thread