It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lack of emotions, generally feeling numb

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2003, 05:09 AM   #1
    monkyfunky
    (male)

monkyfunky HB User
    Question Lack of emotions, generally feeling numb

Last edited by monkyfunky; 02-28-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 08:23 PM   #2
    thisgirl

thisgirl HB User
    Re: Lack of emotions, generally feeling numb

i feel numb and zombie-like on SSRI meds, like you described- which is one of the reasons i'm not taking them ever again.

i do go through phases of my depression where i feel similar, but for the most part, i have major ups and downs.

Old 12-05-2003, 12:31 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi fm,

It is one of the side effects of SSRI/SNRI meds. I'm on effexor xr, and the one thing that I noticed is that my "guilt" pretty much left (well, I feel guilty about not feeling guilty ), and has been relplaced by apathy (unless I've just let them go). A break as far as I'm concerned.

But, you may also be feeling (and I feel it too) the middle ground without extreme highs and lows of emotion. I'm not talking manic depressive, tho., but anxiety/depression still has the extremes.

The middle ground where thinking can actually take place finds me loving the non-anxiety part, but leaves me wanting to wander toward the depression. But, I'd never trade where I am now for where I was. It's a challenge learning to live in the state of mind I'm in now -- the middle more level state.

Just food for thought....nostalgic and emotional usually leaves us thinking and longing for the past. If anxiety is fear of the future, and we can't accept the present, where else would we look to? Can't have anxiety about something that's happened because we know the outcome. Guilt about not doing something..yes, but anxiety, NO!

Keep up with the journey you're on, dealing with your thoughts, emotions, reactions, perspectives, behaviours...

Ever see the program clean sweep. People get so possessive of things, they keep them, hang on to them, can't let them go -- so someone comes in and helps them with the process of purging. Well, it's a clean sweep of our thinking/behaviour patterns. It gets organised to make sense, and the stuff we don't need anymore we get rid of.

You're "house cleaning" to make room for all the great stuff you'll be experiencing. And better yet, you'll have learned the lessons as to what to do with it....keep it for whatver purpose it can serve or let it go.

Seems like you're on a normal process of recovery from my perspective.

Best to you...
    quincy

Old 12-05-2003, 02:45 AM   #4
    chriscwharris
    (male)

chriscwharris HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkyfunky
    I was just going through a load of items of mine from years ago, and normally when I would do this it would make me feel all nostalgic and emotional. Yet now with this anxiety I don't feel anything about it, just numb.

I don't really get excited about anything either, and I used to get really excited about some things. I guess this could be because I'm older now, but I'm sure it's much more than that.

Maybe I have depression as well as anxiety, and it's kinda cutting out my emotions? I feel less anxious and derealised. at the moment since starting a course of mirtazapine (US: Remeron / UK: Zispin), but I'm still an fairly emotionless.

Thanks in adavance for replies
    I know I have had periods where I couldn't look forward to anything.. always feeling like everything would go wrong anyway. My doctor said was was suffering depression due to the anxiety etc... Anyway, things do improve. I feel a lot better recently, not back to normal but a little more hopefull!

My problem is that looking in past is OK as long as you don't think about wanting to change things or go wanting to go back again. No point worrying about the past, be positive about the future. I'm trying to enjoy life, I have no intention of letting anxiety and panic stop me from having as interesting and full life as possible. For the last 18 months this condition changed my life completely.. but I'm going to do the best I can to get back to a normal life again!

Think positive, good thoughts, don't worry about things... if you find yourself starting to worry about something, tell yourself the opposite. If you feel a strange feeling, accept that it's just anxiety and try to ignore it.

Hope things improve, how we feel us as much about "what we think" as "what we do".

Old 12-05-2003, 07:00 AM   #5
    NEILRWALKER

NEILRWALKER HB User

I feel the same!! Ive been taking prozac (SSRI'S) for nearly 4 weeks and feel like im constantly just in one continuous mood. Like im not happy or sad!! Its horribble i feel if someone told me my mother had been shot at the moment i would just say "oh has she". Im going back to GP on Monday to see if i can stop taking them. I suffer with anxiety rather than depression but the doc though these might help me.

Does anyone know of something alternative thats more for anxiety rather than depression?

Neil

Old 12-05-2003, 10:22 PM   #6
    Pootsi
    Veteran

Pootsi HB User

MonkyFunky,
    When I was taking Paxil cr, after about 5 or 6 mths I started feeling the same way. Nothing seemed to effect me much, like I was just going with the flow. It seemed to have killed my emotions (good and bad). I decided to stop taking them, even though I knew I was going to get the depressed and anxietic feelings back.
    After the withdrawal hell, I felt SO alive again! I couldn't believe how much it had taken away from me! It was great at first and worked well, but changed on me. I was so glad I got off of them!
    Now, I sometimes think about whether if I should go back on, but a different kind, because I hate feeling the anxieties and everything that goes with it.
    I have to remind myself about how good it felt having my feelings back. It really is nice to be able to feel everything strongly, if I can manage to keep my mind from wandering to negative thoughts. Being bored seems to make it hard for me and dealing with issues. I, myself, feel like I have a better hand on my anxieties and depression as they come when I'm not on it, that way I can work on it as it comes.
    And it's nice to be able to laugh and enjoy the good feelings, even crying feels really good! And, ah hum, orgasms.
    Maybe you just need to switch brands or go off of it and see what works best for you. It sounds like your mind is working against the meds that you are on.
    Good luck
    [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=Navy]

Old 02-27-2004, 10:45 AM   #7
    minomat

minomat HB User

hey monk,, me too exactlyyyyy.. ive been in school for about 5 years and got a degree in engineering..through those 5 years i had tons of bouts with anxiety where my heart would race for everything and i would be nervouse all the time...now that im out and can';t find a job( going on 1.5 years) i feel 150 percent less stress and anxiety but i have this exact numb feeling your talking about..where nothing phases me. like someone sneakin up on me doesn't even do anything to me anymore...im thinking its the depression mixing in, only makes sense..

Old 02-27-2004, 10:15 PM   #8
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

The first thing that came to mind when I read your post, was Depression! That is exactly how I feel when my meds are not working. If an SSRI or other AD med makes you feel emotionless, then I'd say get a new one.
    I was in the pit of darkness since last Oct. when my long time AD failed me. It has taken til a few weeks ago to find the right combination of new meds, but now I enjoy things in life again & do NOT feel that hopeless feeling.

Closed Thread