It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Paxil CR 12.5 mg low dose

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-08-2003, 03:07 PM   #1
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User
    Paxil CR 12.5 mg low dose

I have just been given Paxil 12.5mg to try. I have never tried it. Tried zoloft for week and felt worse so went off it. I will start it on weekend when hubby is home in case it makes me tired etc.

Do you take it with food? Doc did not say, just gave me samples.

Side effects on such a low dose?

any other helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 12:29 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Paxil CR 12.5 mg low dose

the paxil dose range starts at 10, take regardless of food, maybe cut tablet and take half for a while, ask pharmacist about meds, some are helpful, some arent
    zoloft and paxil are both similar but you may do better on paxil

paxil can take 6 weeks to cut in and work properly, but generally the sample pack doesnt last long enough

Old 12-09-2003, 06:23 PM   #3
    Rsspro18

Rsspro18 HB User

I also was just given Paxil CR 12.5 mg for Panic and Anxiety. I haven't tried it yet and am debating whether to just keep doing Cognitive Therapy and Exposure or trying to get a a boost from the medication. It's been very tough lately with the symptoms being intense and me being very agoraphobic. That's why I'm considering the medication now. I'll let you know how I do if I decide to take it, also please let me know how you do on it as well. The reason I'm posting is because I'm pretty sure that the controlled release formula we both recieved has a coating to delay the absorption, so you should not cut the tablet in half. At least that's what the prescribing information at the [url]www.paxilcr.com[/url] says. 12.5mg is the lowest dose of the CR formula available and is the standard paxil that most psychiatrists prescribe now. Anyway, I'm basically am a bit scared off of all the SSRI's from some of the information I've read on message boards, but I've heard some encouraging stories as well, and I know only 2 people who take SSRI's.... and neither of them have had a bad story, in fact both of them had success with their medicaiton, one was Lexapro and the other was Luvox. If anyone has any valuable advice good or bad, or if anyone has any encouraging stories pro-med or anti-med, feel free to post them as I am in the process of making a decision and would be open to hearing anything anyone has to say. Anyway my advice to you would be to not break the tablet in half without talking to your doctor first to see if it's ok, and good luck with your Paxil CR, and wish me luck with mine if I go that route.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:53 AM   #4
    lucyloo6201

lucyloo6201 HB User

I also started on 12.5 mg of Paxil CR. I took it for two weeks and at the beginning the only side affects I experienced were a little bit of tiredness and what felt like muscle weakness. But after a few days that went away. I was then upped to 25 mg with no side affects. Finally, I went to 37.5 mg and have been on that dosage for about 6 months - no side affects. Paxil CR has done wonders for me, and I wouldnt give it up for anything right now.

But, everybody is different, and experieces this drug in a different way. Good idea to try it on the weekend in case you do experience some fatigue or muscle weakness. There are plent of people who cannot tolerate the side affects of Paxil CR, but plent of people who can......so I hope it works for you.

Also, as somebody else mentioned, Paxil CR is different than plain Paxil, and SHOULD NOT be cut in half. It does have a coating on it that allows for the time release of the drug. If you cut that coating, you could possibly get too much or too little at a given time. Please dont cut it. I take mine at night for the possible fatigue, but I really think I could take it any time of day. I dont think food has any affect on it.

Good luck, and let me know how you make out.
    Kim

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sillyme03
    I have just been given Paxil 12.5mg to try. I have never tried it. Tried zoloft for week and felt worse so went off it. I will start it on weekend when hubby is home in case it makes me tired etc.

Do you take it with food? Doc did not say, just gave me samples.

Side effects on such a low dose?

any other helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Closed Thread