It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Anxiety Message Board

  • Anxiety treatments



  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 12-10-2003, 01:41 AM   #1
    tany
    Junior Member
     
    tany's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 12
    tany HB User
    Smile Anxiety treatments

    Hello all,
    Just found this website as now know it is anxiety that I suffer from. I'm a Uni student and find it hard giving presentations or even asking questions in a class or any other group, so I normally stay quite to avoud embarrassing myself.

    Are there any good treatments out there, bearing in mind I have mild asthmatic symptons too, so cant take 'betablockers'. I've tried books but seem to forget what was read when put in the situation.

    Can this be overcome or am I goig to stay like this, which I am really fed up of?

    Thanks in advance.
    Tany

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 12-10-2003, 06:47 AM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Graciecat's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Posts: 1,370
    Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    Yes, there are good treatments out there.
    For some it's medication for others it's therapy.

    To answer your other question, yes you can overcome it..I don't have panic attacks any more and I thought at one time that I'd never get over them.

    IMO, the first thing you should do is go to a Doctor.
    He/She will probably run tests to rule out other problems...this doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you, it's just what a good Doctor will do.
    I don't think any Doctor should just tell someone that they suffer with panic disorder without these tests.
    Then they should discuss treatment options with you.
    If they want to put you on medication that's fine, but be sure you know all the drawbacks to anything they want to give you.

    Medication was the only thing that worked for me...but it's not for everyone.
    Therapy works for others...but was a waste of time and money for me.

    In the end, the way you decide to treat this disorder is up to you.

    Good Luck

     
    Old 12-10-2003, 09:42 AM   #3
    tany
    Junior Member
     
    tany's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 12
    tany HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    Thank you for your very positive comments. I will take the advice and get something done!

    Tany

     
    Old 12-10-2003, 02:18 PM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    hry33's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: melbourne, vic, aust
    Posts: 7,368
    hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    to tany, do a course in public speaking, everyone will be nervous at first and they teach you how to cope

     
    Old 12-11-2003, 01:18 AM   #5
    tany
    Junior Member
     
    tany's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 12
    tany HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hry33
    do a course in public speaking
    Sounds good, but just the thought of it makes me wanna go to the bathroom! I've had counselling, as my doctor suggested first, but hasn't helped - so it's 'back to the doc'

    Thanks!
    Tany

     
    Old 12-12-2003, 01:11 PM   #6
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran
     
    billy7772's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Posts: 967
    billy7772 HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tany
    Sounds good, but just the thought of it makes me wanna go to the bathroom! I've had counselling, as my doctor suggested first, but hasn't helped - so it's 'back to the doc'

    Thanks!
    Tany
    Hi Tany,
    Gracie gave you good advice. What worked for me was learning the tools of Cognitive Brehavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT is not like other talk therapy. A good CBT therapist does not care much about your past or why you think you feel the way you do etc. A good CBT therapist knows they cannot change what's already happened to you but they can help you change how you deal with what happens in your life from here on out. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. In addition many universities have CBT programs or groups you can particpate in for little or no cost at all, so you may want to check with yours.
    Good Luck and you WILL get better

    Billy
    __________________
    Don't expect anyone to help you, if you won't help yourself!

     
    Old 12-14-2003, 08:43 PM   #7
    Teth
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    Teth's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 32
    Teth HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tany
    Hello all,
    Just found this website as now know it is anxiety that I suffer from. I'm a Uni student and find it hard giving presentations or even asking questions in a class or any other group, so I normally stay quite to avoud embarrassing myself.

    Are there any good treatments out there, bearing in mind I have mild asthmatic symptons too, so cant take 'betablockers'. I've tried books but seem to forget what was read when put in the situation.

    Can this be overcome or am I goig to stay like this, which I am really fed up of?

    Thanks in advance.
    Tany

    Hi Tany,
    It's really interesting how 'anxiety' can control us in specific circumstances and how it can affect us to a certain degree. I guess it's really how much you know yourself and what 'symptoms' are messing with you, as you might already know, everyone has a degree of anxiety and stress.
    My suggestion before seeking any 'medication solution', would be to check out a 'public speaking' class on the side.. maybe you need to feel confortable with public speaking. Nothing wrong with asking questions in class, from university I've heard every type of questions. From smart to just lame ones that turn-out to be funny, but, what's the worst that can happen?

    Good luck,
    JT.

     
    Old 12-16-2003, 05:41 PM   #8
    bradcured
    Junior Member
     
    bradcured's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: Detroit
    Posts: 23
    bradcured HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Teth
    Hi Tany,
    It's really interesting how 'anxiety' can control us in specific circumstances and how it can affect us to a certain degree. I guess it's really how much you know yourself and what 'symptoms' are messing with you, as you might already know, everyone has a degree of anxiety and stress.
    My suggestion before seeking any 'medication solution', would be to check out a 'public speaking' class on the side..
    I believe taking public speaking class won't really help. You *might* have social-anxiety disorder. There are number of treatments for this - CBT, medications (benzos,SSRI,MAOi,dopaminergics).

     
    Old 12-16-2003, 05:43 PM   #9
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran
     
    billy7772's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Posts: 967
    billy7772 HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    Hey Brad,
    Welcome to the board What cured you?

    Billy
    __________________
    Don't expect anyone to help you, if you won't help yourself!

     
    Old 12-16-2003, 06:58 PM   #10
    bradcured
    Junior Member
     
    bradcured's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: Detroit
    Posts: 23
    bradcured HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by billy7772
    Hey Brad,
    Welcome to the board What cured you?

    Billy
    Hello there Billy!

    I'm finally cured from social-anxiety/phobia. Drug: Amisulpride (Solian) is the cure for me in this case. At 50mg/day. It is a dopaminergic; by attaching to D2 and D3 dopamine receptors - it increases presynaptic dopamine transmission. And problems with D2 receptor are common in people with social-anxiety (can post studies if someone wants to)

    Take care,
    Brad

     
    Old 12-16-2003, 07:49 PM   #11
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran
     
    billy7772's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Posts: 967
    billy7772 HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradcured
    Hello there Billy!

    I'm finally cured from social-anxiety/phobia. Drug: Amisulpride (Solian) is the cure for me in this case. At 50mg/day. It is a dopaminergic; by attaching to D2 and D3 dopamine receptors - it increases presynaptic dopamine transmission. And problems with D2 receptor are common in people with social-anxiety (can post studies if someone wants to)

    Take care,
    Brad
    Hi Brad,
    Thanks for the quick reply I'm glad you have "finally" found something that cured your SAD and phobia's. As you probably read in my previous post CBT was the thing that worked for me. Isn't it great to have found something that works for you

    Take care!

    Billy
    __________________
    Don't expect anyone to help you, if you won't help yourself!

     
    Old 12-16-2003, 08:37 PM   #12
    Teth
    Junior Member
    (male)
     
    Teth's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Canada
    Posts: 32
    Teth HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradcured
    I believe taking public speaking class won't really help. You *might* have social-anxiety disorder. There are number of treatments for this - CBT, medications (benzos,SSRI,MAOi,dopaminergics).

    Good observation,
    Tany 'might' have social anxiety disorder. Before starting any drug treatment (meds) I recommend looking into other forms of counseling... alternatives such as CBT or psychodynamic psychotherapy.
    My suggestion/thoughts in the matter were just to start with a more simple approach depending on the severity of the symptoms, which is why I suggested a self improvement class such as public speaking.. it might help or might not. In order to rule something out, you must give it a fare try.
    Personally I have used meds in the past and I am not a big believer in them, I know they do help when necessary but the decision of starting a med treatment shouldn't be taken lightly as they could bring along other consequences.

    Best luck to you,
    JT.

     
    Old 12-16-2003, 09:36 PM   #13
    Iss
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Iss's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: WI
    Posts: 228
    Iss HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradcured
    Hello there Billy!

    I'm finally cured from social-anxiety/phobia. Drug: Amisulpride (Solian) is the cure for me in this case. At 50mg/day. It is a dopaminergic; by attaching to D2 and D3 dopamine receptors - it increases presynaptic dopamine transmission. And problems with D2 receptor are common in people with social-anxiety (can post studies if someone wants to)

    Take care,
    Brad

    I'm looking for a cure myself for my anxiety/social anxiety... I've tried paxil cr and prosac with OK results, but could be better. I looked up SOLIAN and :Amisulpride (brand name Solian) may be prescribed for people with schizophrenia. Very interesting, but if it works Im very happy for you. Depamine and serotinin are low in depressed people right? There's a new drug called remeron that blocks seritonin and dopamine receoptors.. or something like that.. maybe i could try that... or i could try something like buspar... im doing research on that to. I dont think therapy would work for me... i've had a speaking class and somedays i was nervous/anxious.. and somedays.... i wasn't.. I was occassionally taking SJ. wort, but not long enough to have that play a part in it i think.... I hope i can get this figured out... kidna gets depressing..
    Iss

     
    Old 12-18-2003, 03:21 AM   #14
    tany
    Junior Member
     
    tany's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 12
    tany HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    Hi All,
    And thank you for your supportive comments. I would love to be able to speak openly to a crowd of people, but I can't.
    This problem I will need to get over & try the things out that have been mentioned here. What also worries me is that my son, is also showing signs of shyness at nursery (even though he plays with his friends). So, if I can do it, then I will help and assist my son also - as it a stressful situation to be in.

    'Public speaking course' ? hmm, what to they do? Do they tell you to get up and talk about something, or do they train how to stay calm and relaxed - which is where I have difficulty with, get stuck for words (ie head goes blank), and start to blush, as well as start to sweat!

    Well I have a presentation comming up for my uni, but with this symptom, I know I am going to loose marks, as I am going to 'blob', to avoid the situation.

    I am slightly asthmatic to so I can't take 'betablockers' (whatever they are).

    Thanks again and keep posting - so will I as I am off to see my Dr again.
    Tany

     
    Old 12-19-2003, 12:16 PM   #15
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran
     
    billy7772's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Posts: 967
    billy7772 HB User
    Re: Anxiety treatments

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Teth
    Good observation,
    Tany 'might' have social anxiety disorder. Before starting any drug treatment (meds) I recommend looking into other forms of counseling... alternatives such as CBT or psychodynamic psychotherapy.
    My suggestion/thoughts in the matter were just to start with a more simple approach depending on the severity of the symptoms, which is why I suggested a self improvement class such as public speaking.. it might help or might not. In order to rule something out, you must give it a fare try.
    Personally I have used meds in the past and I am not a big believer in them, I know they do help when necessary but the decision of starting a med treatment shouldn't be taken lightly as they could bring along other consequences.

    Best luck to you,
    JT.
    Excellent advice Teth
    __________________
    Don't expect anyone to help you, if you won't help yourself!

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    anxiety/depression,etc a result of the pain,etc from fibro or Mikeyson3 Fibromyalgia 7 04-24-2010 05:00 PM
    NAET and anxiety Yikes777 Alternative Medicine 3 01-06-2009 02:36 PM
    Anxiety for life? allsorts Anxiety 9 09-10-2008 08:02 PM
    Which one am I?? Primary Anxiety or Primary Migraine?? MARD?? Boslee2008 Inner Ear Disorders 21 08-16-2008 10:02 AM
    anxiety help caz03 Anxiety 12 02-24-2007 07:01 AM
    My Disease Called ANXIETY..Please read boxerlver227 Anxiety 35 10-05-2006 08:44 PM
    Desperately trying to defeat anxiety... Please help Man Apart Depression 12 12-31-2004 12:17 AM
    25yr old with tachycardia out of the blue - drs say anxiety?! AmyRS Anxiety 13 04-27-2004 07:10 PM
    General Anxiety Symptoms windtrooper Anxiety 0 05-15-2003 05:30 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!