It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• A Question - Health Anxiety (May find scary))

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2003, 06:37 AM   #1
    kezza5

kezza5 HB User
    A Question - Health Anxiety (May find scary))

Hiya everyone,

Firstly I hope everyone is well!

Secondly - Question:

What is Health Anxiety:- is it a fear of dying, or death. Is it the fear of a long drawn out illness or is it the emotional response or physical response to an illness that we are most scared of?

Certainly for me the build up of worrying about an illness is far worse. Example: so scared to get a bad cold, when I unfortunately got one it wasn't half as bad as I had thought - obvioulsy in the grand scheme of things a "cold" is extremly minor. However, it is the most minor things that can put me in panic mode that then lead onto more serious.

I think with health anxeity you are almost certainly afraid of illness and death as I am.

Would like to know your thoughts and ideas about this, guys?

K5

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2003, 06:58 AM   #2
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
    Re: A Question - Health Anxiety (May find scary))

hello there,
    i think that health anxiety can manifest in several different ways. for some, it is the fear that something will go wrong with their health even if they are a generally healthy person. for others it is an irrational thought, much like yours that a common cold will lead to bigger problem if not death. then you have people like me, i did have a serious illness and i am better now, however, everythime i feel a twinge or pang i go into a panic attack because i think the illness is comming back. i think the common denominator is the fear of a "slow killing" illness, a long drawn out process. it is so strange, the mind. i have seen people on this board that do have terminal illnesses and they have the best outlook. it makes me feel guilty because i have had every test in the world and they all say i am healthy, yet i can't seem to believe it..... i am on meds, and if you think you have a problem, you should talk to the doctor. don't think it's a big problem. medication if needed and a good support team will get you through. best of luck to you.

Old 12-10-2003, 01:18 PM   #3
    carebear73

carebear73 HB User
    Re: A Question - Health Anxiety (May find scary))

[QUOTE=kezza5]Hiya everyone,

Firstly I hope everyone is well!

Secondly - Question:

What is Health Anxiety:- is it a fear of dying, or death. Is it the fear of a long drawn out illness or is it the emotional response or physical response to an illness that we are most scared of?

Certainly for me the build up of worrying about an illness is far worse. Example: so scared to get a bad cold, when I unfortunately got one it wasn't half as bad as I had thought - obvioulsy in the grand scheme of things a "cold" is extremly minor. However, it is the most minor things that can put me in panic mode that then lead onto more serious.

I think with health anxeity you are almost certainly afraid of illness and death as I am.

Would like to know your thoughts and ideas about this, guys?

K5[/QUOTE
    "When a flood of adreniline hits the limbic system of the brain, we feel intense terror. The thinking part of our brain reacts; it begins to look for something to substantiate the terror. If it finds nothing on the outside, we turn inward and start to question the symptoms. We often run from doctor to doctor, searching for answers and reassurance. At the onset of pain, having a complete physical checkup to rule out any physical causes for your symptoms is a good idea. The ongoing misery of obsessing over your health is much worse than the brief anxiety as a result of deciding to have a checkup. Afraid you might find something? Afraid you might not? You can drive ourself into a panic attack with constant worry about a heart problem, cancer, a brain tumor, mental illness, and so on and so on. Chances are, you'll be fine. And if there is something wrong, at least you'll know and you can take steps to begin to deal with it. It is much more likely that you will come up with a clean bill of health. Your mind will be put to rest and then you can focus on overcoming the real problem: your anxiety. Hypochondriasis is a form of distraction. If ou can find out what you're distracting yourself from, you're on the road to relieving yourself from much unnecessary anxiety."
    Anxiety is a painful or apprehensive uneasiness of mind usually over an impending or anticipated ill. It is a fearful concern or interest, marked by physiological signs (sweating,tension,increased pulse), by doubt concerning the reality and nature of the threat, and by self-doubt of one's capacity to cope with it.

Closed Thread