It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Need someone to listen and understand

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2004, 07:11 AM   #1
    auntchilada
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntchilada HB User
    Unhappy Need someone to listen and understand

My anxiety has been pretty high for the last 2 days. One of my biggest fears is of having a mental illness like schizophrenia or something like that. It makes me freak out even thinking about that word. So 2 days ago I was in Walmart with my fiancé. We were searching the aisles for something and he was a good distance in back of me. So I hear someone say “Turn right” and I turned around and said “Did you say something?” and he said “No.”, so then I got really really scared and thought “What if I am hearing voices and going crazy???”
    Logically, we were in a jammed packed Walmart and I probably heard someone else saying “Turn right”, but it totally freaked me out. I told him I was really worried about it and he told me that I am not going crazy or hearing voices, it happens to everyone, that he would notice if I was going crazy, etc. I realize how irrational I am being, but I am still scared about it. I think “Well what if I thing I hear things more than the normal person? What if I have schizophrenia? Etc”

So now I am trying to pay extra attention and make sure I am not hearing things.

Then just a few minutes ago I read online about some guy on death row who has schizophrenia and hears voices. So now I am freaked out all over again! I can’t stop worrying about it!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 10:45 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Need someone to listen and understand

people who are anxious dont progress on to schizophrenia, people suffering this illnedd usually think they are sane and everyone else is crazy
    you need to learn to relax and manage your stress better, a book on overcoming worry should also help

Old 01-06-2004, 12:03 PM   #3
    auntchilada
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntchilada HB User

Thanks for your reply. I have been in therapy and am currently taking medication and it has helped sooooo much! This is the first time since I have been on meds that I have reacted in a very anxious way. I just got freaked about the voices thing. Mental illness scares me.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:47 PM   #4
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Cool Re: Need someone to listen and understand

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daisyheadmaisy
    My anxiety has been pretty high for the last 2 days. One of my biggest fears is of having a mental illness like schizophrenia or something like that. It makes me freak out even thinking about that word. So 2 days ago I was in Walmart with my fiancé. We were searching the aisles for something and he was a good distance in back of me. So I hear someone say “Turn right” and I turned around and said “Did you say something?” and he said “No.”, so then I got really really scared and thought “What if I am hearing voices and going crazy???”
    Logically, we were in a jammed packed Walmart and I probably heard someone else saying “Turn right”, but it totally freaked me out. I told him I was really worried about it and he told me that I am not going crazy or hearing voices, it happens to everyone, that he would notice if I was going crazy, etc. I realize how irrational I am being, but I am still scared about it. I think “Well what if I thing I hear things more than the normal person? What if I have schizophrenia? Etc”

So now I am trying to pay extra attention and make sure I am not hearing things.

Then just a few minutes ago I read online about some guy on death row who has schizophrenia and hears voices. So now I am freaked out all over again! I can’t stop worrying about it!!!

Dear daisyheadmaisy,

A common symptom of panic disorder is heightened senses. I have been in situations where I could hear indivilual conversations at unbelievable distances. Others near me have also sounded like they were on a megaphone. Might be just a symptom of socail phobia from panic attack just before hitting the fight or flight point. Just things that have happened it me and are known to be common. Be well

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-07-2004, 04:43 AM   #5
    auntchilada
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntchilada HB User

Thanks for your input Sickman :-)

Old 01-08-2004, 01:28 AM   #6
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

You know, the more I read posts here on this STRESS board, the more each one sounds more like OCD than stress! You are experiencing irrational thoughts about schizophrenia and when you dwell on negative thoughts, there is more going on than stress. Do a search for OCD online & read about it, I always thought it was just people who repeated a physical act over & over, but from reading about OCD I realize that my obsesssive worrying about things is OCD. There are even some self help articles that you might want to read, they are helping me already.

Old 01-08-2004, 05:31 AM   #7
    auntchilada
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntchilada HB User

Oh yes, I definately have OCD also. What gave me the red flag that I have some sort of OCD was when I started having disturbing obsessive thoughts. I got freaked out at what I was thinking so I did some online research and realized that I was not evil or crazy, I was having disutrbing thoughts that is common with OCD. I believe they call it "purely obsessional" because I don't have any rituals. I just posted this message on here because we have discussed fear of mental illnesses here before.

Old 01-09-2004, 12:34 AM   #8
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daisyheadmaisy
    Oh yes, I definately have OCD also. What gave me the red flag that I have some sort of OCD was when I started having disturbing obsessive thoughts. I got freaked out at what I was thinking so I did some online research and realized that I was not evil or crazy, I was having disutrbing thoughts that is common with OCD. I believe they call it "purely obsessional" because I don't have any rituals. I just posted this message on here because we have discussed fear of mental illnesses here before.
    Well Daisy, the more I read the more I realize I'm a lot worse off than I thought. I think I have 3 types of OCD plus the depression & then of course, the newest one - Panic Attacks!! Does it get anymore fun than this????????

Old 01-09-2004, 02:57 AM   #9
    scotland79
    Inactive

scotland79 HB User
    Smile Re: Need someone to listen and understand

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lori j
    Well Daisy, the more I read the more I realize I'm a lot worse off than I thought. I think I have 3 types of OCD plus the depression & then of course, the newest one - Panic Attacks!! Does it get anymore fun than this????????
    Hi Lori g, just thought id respond to your post. Glad im not alone, think i have depression, anxiety, OCD and stress and panic attacks!!! oh the joys!!!!

I was one of those people that thought OCD was classed as people that just washed their hands all day and cleaned. But now i know theres more too it than that. I get these awful thoughts that i want to hurt people and its so scary when i get them. I would NEVER act them out cos i know its wrong, but they are still scary. It all just seems to be getting worse. When i go to the doctor all they do is want to put me on anti depressants and im so scared of them, when you read the labels and hear what they say on tv about them it would put you off for life. Ive tried two different kinds and none worked for me, gave me extreme panic attacks and other strange side effects. I just dont know where to go next. im scared of any medicine. Sorry for going on, just so your post there and had to reply. Todays a bad day for me.

Hope you are well

Old 01-09-2004, 03:23 AM   #10
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

lyndsay1979, well I wish I had the answer for you. For almost 7 years I was on amitrityline & it worked great for me, I was able to push those obsessive thoughts out of my head & also did not spend my days worrying about everything. All was good. Then about 6 months ago I started obsessing again. I realized that my amitrip was not working anymore. I have been thru 2 new AD's now & neither worked as I had horrible side affects. Now on a 3rd one that is in the same family as the amitrip & I have horrible dry mouth & nasal passages & a horrible taste in my mouth & I can't taste any food that I eat, plus, it's not working for my dep. The doc wanted me to up the dose said the dose I was on was not high enough to do me any good, well talk about dryness, I know that doesn't sound all that bad, but my nose & mouth were so dry that it would burn to inhale air. I'm not kidding, so I called around the holidays & they told me to just stay on 2 doses a day til my next appt. Well that isn't til Feb 4th & I cannot wait that long. I now have an appt next thursday. I have no idea what he'll put me on next. Maybe there is nothing left, who knows. This is the worst time for me, my son told me he has to fly to florida for his work, he has a phobia about flying & so do I so now here I sit with no meds that are working for me & I'm obsessing & worrying & my neck & shoulders are so tight that I can barely turn my head. Soooo, today is a bad day for me already & I haven't even been to bed yet!!!
    Thanks for replying to my post, keep in touch.

Old 01-09-2004, 07:28 PM   #11
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Wink Re: Need someone to listen and understand

There are many types of OCD. One is like washing hands, checking the stove to see if it is off, checking to see if the door is locked, doing things in numbers, etc. These types become actually a habit. They are harmless. I check things several times before going to bed. I used to do things in numbers but told myself one day I was not going to do it anymore and forced myself not to and forgot it. It creeps in now and then but I try to nip it in the bud, if I realize I am doing it. As I said it seems to be more of a habit after a while. Obsessive thought on the other hand are different. You are only going to obsess on the things you are afraid of the most or to think of the most. I do this also sometimes but I think what you have to do is come to terms with it. You only think of harming someone because this is something that you would never do, so you would never want to think it. You have to realize that it is a thought only and totally harmless and that you can forgive yourself for thinking it because it is the exact opposite of the way you really think. Just think to yourself, "This is bs, and I'm not going to worry about this anymore". Now if you would act on these things now that is different. The other OCD is obsessing about illness or death from symptoms. I have what you have probably never hear of. It is called rememberance memory of prior pain being a form of PTSD. I feel pains all over my body where pain has been inflicted on me. The areas of this are just about everywhere on my entire body, inflicted numerous times. I get an adenalin rush or panic attack coming and my brain re-inacts the inflicted pains that I felt years ago. It is like a response to what I expected at the time but it is being replayed without a reason. If I worried about these pains being and illness I would be screwed. You have to learn to let these things be what they are, nothing but brain tricks. Panic brings on your worst thoughts that will upset you the most. Don't let it rule you, rule it. Food for thought.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-10-2004, 01:29 AM   #12
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Good advice, Sickman, we really do have to try to take charge of the tricks the panic plays on us.

Closed Thread