It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Exercise and anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2004, 04:25 AM   #1
    Soodle
    (male)

Soodle HB User
    Exercise and anxiety?

Having had numerous tests - Echo, 24hr ecg, 3 resting ecg's, chets Xray, blood tests - my doctor has concluded that my heart rate problem is caused by anxiety.

I hear many people on this message board suggesting that exercise relieves anxiety although I can't do even the lightest exercise without my heart sky rocketing (am only 25 and used to go to the gym 3-4 time s aweek no problem). Can anyone sympathise with my position -

Is this intollerance to exercise a common symptom of anxiety?
    I also feel a little dizzy (not so I feel like I'm going to pass out or anything but just a little light headed. I also get head pressure in my temples, eyes and jaw). Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2004, 01:17 PM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Exercise and anxiety?

does your heartrate increase or just hammer or shake?
    some valium or a beta blocker med could be used for a while to calm the heart, ask a doc

in general, accept whatever your heart does and keep exercising, its important to let go of all excess stress and exercise in a relaxed way, keep breathing deep and slow.
    try to ignore your heart, dont tune in or monitor it, it needs no help from you to beat

Old 01-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #3
    artichack
    (male)

artichack HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soodle
    Having had numerous tests - Echo, 24hr ecg, 3 resting ecg's, chets Xray, blood tests - my doctor has concluded that my heart rate problem is caused by anxiety.

I hear many people on this message board suggesting that exercise relieves anxiety although I can't do even the lightest exercise without my heart sky rocketing (am only 25 and used to go to the gym 3-4 time s aweek no problem). Can anyone sympathise with my position -

Is this intollerance to exercise a common symptom of anxiety?
    I also feel a little dizzy (not so I feel like I'm going to pass out or anything but just a little light headed. I also get head pressure in my temples, eyes and jaw). Any ideas?
    Hey soodle, exercise definelty relieves stress, and anixiety...I work out 5 days a week, 1 hour of high intensity biking...really helps me out. I also heard that the human heart can withstand 200 beats per minute for weeks without any kind of damage.....so I think it's safe for you to excercise...monitor it, I think once you get back into the swing of things, you won't worry so much about it. Not uncommon to experience some lightheadedness, and pressure in your head...I get the pressure, not so much the light head...so hope this helps you out..best of luck....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:46 PM   #4
    jc001

jc001 HB User

"beta blocker"

Yes, it could help but I would keep away from those things. They're very dangerous and make you feel like s..t!

I was once miss-diagnosed with a mild heart disorder and was told to take some beta-blockers and after 2 weeks of taking them, I thought I was in the verge of dying.

I suspended treatment and felt great afterwards. My "mild heart condition" turned out to be stress and/or anxiety.

Old 01-31-2004, 06:49 AM   #5
    Soodle
    (male)

Soodle HB User

In response to your question my heart goes very fast ie: 180-200 and beats if I do light exercise such as running for a bus and can go quite high even when I'm walking around, although it can be normal when I'm at rest eg - in the 70's and 80's.
    I tried beta blockers which worked and had no side affects at all.
    My doc says it isn't anything serious like blocked arteries cos I'm only 25, don't smoke, have a good diet and my blood showed that my cholesterol is good. Also my echo showed my heart is structurally sound with an ejection fraction of 65 and my 24hr ecg showed a perfect sinus rythm. I can't work it out -maybe anxiety is the only sensible explanation. Thanks for all your advice anyway.

Closed Thread