It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• how can I stop these scary thoughts!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2004, 01:34 AM   #1
    Jordie

Jordie HB User
    how can I stop these scary thoughts!

This is getting out of control. I want to enjoy my life.

I have constant thoughts that I have some terrible condition or disease.

I have the classic anxiety symptoms - dizzyness (like a bouncy or moving floor), panic attacks (maybe once a month) back pain everywhere, pains in my backside in the muscles, lots of other things. I have had the tests - all of them. I just can't shake the feeling I have something bad.

Sometimes, I feel like my limbs aren't responding correctly. This sounds wierd, and it feels wierd. Also I sometimes feel my eyes aren't working properly. I wonder if anyone ever has this.

Could it be because I'm so preoccupied with anxiety and stress and my mind is often racing about horrible diseases that my nervous system isn't responding properly? That's how it seems.

Sorry, this post doesn't make a lot of sense but it's hard to explain.

Jordie.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2004, 06:48 AM   #2
    shanrocks

shanrocks HB User
    Re: how can I stop these scary thoughts!

Hi. I am sure that most of us can relate to your symptoms and situation. I am relatively new to panic attacks and am always anxious. I feel, at times, like my body is self-destructing. I get the weirdest pains out of nowhere. I have very frequent muscle spams in my legs, back, and recently my stomach has been fluttering and palpitating. I have had tons of tests also and everything comes out normal. It's a long road to accepting that anxiety and panic can cause all of these symptoms in our bodies. You just have to keep reminding yourself of that when you get these strange pains. Eventually you will come to accept that, even though they are very scary, these symptoms are almost certain to be a result of the constant state of anxiety your body is in. If it is something serious or deadly, some test would've picked up something.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:41 PM   #3
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Have you taken any meds for your anxiety? Many of us obsess about diseases & need to take meds to help control the thoughts. I have depression, but also have the worry obsession & also take a med for that.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:30 AM   #4
    Jordie

Jordie HB User

I'm not on any meds. I don't want to get into that if I can at all help it.
    Just want to feel well again. I'm starting on 3 weeks holidays on Friday, so hopefully during that time I can relax. I'll go get a massage, start up Yoga and swimming.
    I've seen a councellor twice, he was great, just can't afford to go back yet.
    I keep thinking that I'm being naive putting all this down to anxiety, and that someday I'll be saying, I knew it was something bad. I've got to get away from these thoughts though, and think if it is something bad, then deal with it when I find out, not now when I could well be perfectly healthy.

And Yes, it's always good to remember that anxiety causes the most strangest symptoms, that's I guess why i'm always thinking this must be something else.

I hate the feeling that my body isn't functioning properly, I really do think my nervous system is stressed and overworked.

Old 02-06-2004, 09:32 PM   #5
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: how can I stop these scary thoughts!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordie
    I'm not on any meds. I don't want to get into that if I can at all help it.
    Just want to feel well again. I'm starting on 3 weeks holidays on Friday, so hopefully during that time I can relax. I'll go get a massage, start up Yoga and swimming.
    I've seen a councellor twice, he was great, just can't afford to go back yet.
    I keep thinking that I'm being naive putting all this down to anxiety, and that someday I'll be saying, I knew it was something bad. I've got to get away from these thoughts though, and think if it is something bad, then deal with it when I find out, not now when I could well be perfectly healthy.

And Yes, it's always good to remember that anxiety causes the most strangest symptoms, that's I guess why i'm always thinking this must be something else.

I hate the feeling that my body isn't functioning properly, I really do think my nervous system is stressed and overworked.
    Hello Jordie,
    Since you are not going to go with the medications and you are having panic attacks, panic symptoms of pains and obsessing about it, may I suggest something off the wall here? Since you think that nervous system is overworked and stressed out, considering yoga and exercise, I can offer you a suggestion of an alternative that may give you the self-confidence, reasurance of your bodies health, and learn relaxation techniques at the same time. This alternate also lets you take out your frustations as well as give you peace of mind. Find an Oriental Martial Artist and work with he or she with these fears and pains. If you can find one that practices accupressure that is all the better if you feel comfortable with it. You would be very surprized to find out just how much they know about treating the mind and body. I have an instructors classification overseas and I got so tied up in working that I never pursued it back here in the states. I had planned on returning to this myself just recently because I have seen so much knowledge from them that it was unbelievable. I wish I would have done this 10 or 15 years ago but I to thought that I could do this alone. I now can not exercise at all, so I have to forget that idea. It is just an off the wall suggestion, but I have been severely injured and fixed on the spot by them. I have seen instant recovery techniques that were just unexplainable. Just a thought, have a nice vacation.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 02-07-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
    Jordie

Jordie HB User

Hi Sickman, welcome back. I was so wrapped to get your reply. thankyou.

That's a very interesting suggestion, but it makes a lot of sense too. I will see if there's anything like that here.

I've got time this week to go research these things as I'm on holidays. yay.
    On friday, we are going away on a houseboat with 10 friends, we do this every year with the same people. I hope to relax and let all my worries float away.

Thanks again, I hope you and your wife are well.

Love
    Jordie.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:05 PM   #7
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: how can I stop these scary thoughts!

Quote:
    Hi Sickman, welcome back. I was so wrapped to get your reply. thankyou.

That's a very interesting suggestion, but it makes a lot of sense too. I will see if there's anything like that here.

I've got time this week to go research these things as I'm on holidays. yay.
    On friday, we are going away on a houseboat with 10 friends, we do this every year with the same people. I hope to relax and let all my worries float away.

Thanks again, I hope you and your wife are well.

Love
    Jordie.
    Dear jordie,
    Even if you can find someone which was actually trained in the orient that has quite a few years of teaching would be something to look into. The ones that try to give you a real quick demonstration of kicking and hitting to impress you are not what you are looking for. You want the one that is gentle and kind. One who talks to you because they don't need to impress you with technique but you will feel their knowledge and skill through their words. I hope you have fun with your houseboat trip with your friends. Get some real relaxation and worry not Jordie. My wife read a lot of the posts on here and she thanks all of you so much for your concern for her and I. Now go have fun my Friend.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 02-08-2004, 11:14 PM   #8
    beebsqtip

beebsqtip HB User

Sickman,
    I have tried some yoga positions before just to build some strength, but its the disapline, concentration, focusing, meditation, breathing and relaxing part all together that is making it very hard for me. I think to much into my breathing already. How do you get the control that you need to get these things down. Does it take a while?

Jordie,
    I know how you feel. Its so frustrating isn't it. Mine started back in May panick then to phobia's to anxiety and then to depression. It never stops. Just when you think its a new day and it just might be better nope here it goes again. Drives you up the wall. I have a new disease every week. One week I almost choked on my food couldn't eat food for a couple days though I was going to choke got over it. 2 weeks later I thought I had bronchitis, the week after that I thought I might have just some off the wall disease that the docs wont find and I will turn into some freak accident, that you here in the news. I laugh at my self sometimes!
    Have you guys ever watched the movie Bandits with Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thorton. Well the character that Billy plays is just like me. Hate to admit it, but boy I got some issues. He he.

Old 02-09-2004, 04:40 PM   #9
    Jordie

Jordie HB User

Beepsqtip,
    It's great that you can laugh at yourself, I think we all need to do that sometimes.
    Have you guys heard of those groups that get together in a park, stand in a circle and just laugh hyterically. It's a therapy group, like Tai Chi. I can just imagine all of us doing it. Perhaps we should all set a time to sit here on the boards one night and laugh out loud. How funny would that be!!!!

Old 02-09-2004, 05:35 PM   #10
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
    This is getting out of control. I want to enjoy my life.

I have constant thoughts that I have some terrible condition or disease.

I have the classic anxiety symptoms - dizzyness (like a bouncy or moving floor), panic attacks (maybe once a month) back pain everywhere, pains in my backside in the muscles, lots of other things. I have had the tests - all of them. I just can't shake the feeling I have something bad.

Sometimes, I feel like my limbs aren't responding correctly. This sounds wierd, and it feels wierd. Also I sometimes feel my eyes aren't working properly. I wonder if anyone ever has this.

Could it be because I'm so preoccupied with anxiety and stress and my mind is often racing about horrible diseases that my nervous system isn't responding properly? That's how it seems.

Sorry, this post doesn't make a lot of sense but it's hard to explain.

Jordie.
    Sorry I'm late in discovering this note... But here goes my two cents:
    I was convinced I had just about every serious ailment under the sun for many years. I eventually learned it has little to do with the symptoms and everything to do with the way I was thinking about the symptoms. CBT has since changed my life. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. You may also want to check out the mood gym site for further research on CBT. Take care.

Billy

Old 02-09-2004, 06:47 PM   #11
    beebsqtip

beebsqtip HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by billy7772
    Sorry I'm late in discovering this note... But here goes my two cents:
    I was convinced I had just about every serious ailment under the sun for many years. I eventually learned it has little to do with the symptoms and everything to do with the way I was thinking about the symptoms. CBT has since changed my life. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. You may also want to check out the mood gym site for further research on CBT. Take care.

Billy
    So this CBT really works. I remember when I went to counseling back in oct. my counserlor was trying to teach me how to do CBT. I thought it wouldn't work. So I quit after my 3rd visit that and I couldn't afford $15 co pay every week. Now that I see its working for you, I think I will give it a try!

Old 02-09-2004, 08:50 PM   #12
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beebsqtip
    So this CBT really works. I remember when I went to counseling back in oct. my counserlor was trying to teach me how to do CBT. I thought it wouldn't work. So I quit after my 3rd visit that and I couldn't afford $15 co pay every week. Now that I see its working for you, I think I will give it a try!
    Hi Beebs-
    Nobody thinks CBT will work when they first learn about I certainly didn't and struggled with it in the begining but once I started to get it, it eventually changed my life. It seems too simple and corny but you really do get out of it what you put into it. I still do the TEA form exercise a few times a week (in addition to whenever I feel stressed about anything in general) and it really makes a difference for me. Let me know if I can be of any help and there are several other people on here who have had similar success with CBT

Billy

Old 02-10-2004, 11:12 AM   #13
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Post Re: how can I stop these scary thoughts!

[QUOTE=beebsqtip]Sickman,
    I have tried some yoga positions before just to build some strength, but its the disapline, concentration, focusing, meditation, breathing and relaxing part all together that is making it very hard for me. I think to much into my breathing already. How do you get the control that you need to get these things down. Does it take a while?

Dear beebsqtip,
    You learn it as you practice the martial arts training itself. This in itself creates an out for worry, creating disipline, concentration, focusing and breathing. The meditation is just a part of it and when you understand more about focusing on the art you will better be able to focus on the meditation. You first have to learn to believe in yourself and that nothing you see is impossibe for you to do. I was taught in a way that I doubt that you can find and that was with no pads and full force. It was brutal and it was not a sport in any way. It involves more of a self-hypnosis then meditation which is something that a true martial artists master can teach you but it is not something that I can explain to you over a message board because it can be taken to far if not understood. Without the assitance of an expert in this you would surely have a panic attack and not be able to do it anyway. It is not like just clearing your mind but channeling your thoughts to one specific thought in order to accomplish what your need is at the time. Say you only have one hour to sleep. You can put yourself to sleep within one minute but at the same time have heightened senses to alert you. You can channel your thoughts to kill pain in a specific area, to feel an exact area of your body only and to lower your vitals and have almost unlimited endurance. You don't need this heavy of a training and you sure don't need to look like Rocky before he finally won in the movies as I did several times. You just need the assistance of like I said, a real martial arts master. They can take you way beyond yoga and they know how to handle your disorder. I still have the senses but this last time that I went off the srri to fast and was asleep for 8 days, something happened and I can't access this part of my brain in order to do this anymore. If I could, I am pretty sure I could beat this or at least take away the pain and most of the attacks. Anyway, this is something that has to be done face to face or it could get out of control playing with vitals to control adenaline which is what panic attack comes from. Hope this made some since. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 02-11-2004, 12:24 AM   #14
    beebsqtip

beebsqtip HB User

[QUOTE=Sickman]
    Quote:
    Sickman,

Dear beebsqtip,
    You learn it as you practice the martial arts training itself. This in itself creates an out for worry, creating disipline, concentration, focusing and breathing. The meditation is just a part of it and when you understand more about focusing on the art you will better be able to focus on the meditation. You first have to learn to believe in yourself and that nothing you see is impossibe for you to do. I was taught in a way that I doubt that you can find and that was with no pads and full force. It was brutal and it was not a sport in any way. It involves more of a self-hypnosis then meditation which is something that a true martial artists master can teach you but it is not something that I can explain to you over a message board because it can be taken to far if not understood. Without the assitance of an expert in this you would surely have a panic attack and not be able to do it anyway. It is not like just clearing your mind but channeling your thoughts to one specific thought in order to accomplish what your need is at the time. Say you only have one hour to sleep. You can put yourself to sleep within one minute but at the same time have heightened senses to alert you. You can channel your thoughts to kill pain in a specific area, to feel an exact area of your body only and to lower your vitals and have almost unlimited endurance. You don't need this heavy of a training and you sure don't need to look like Rocky before he finally won in the movies as I did several times. You just need the assistance of like I said, a real martial arts master. They can take you way beyond yoga and they know how to handle your disorder. I still have the senses but this last time that I went off the srri to fast and was asleep for 8 days, something happened and I can't access this part of my brain in order to do this anymore. If I could, I am pretty sure I could beat this or at least take away the pain and most of the attacks. Anyway, this is something that has to be done face to face or it could get out of control playing with vitals to control adenaline which is what panic attack comes from. Hope this made some since. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Sickman
    Thanks,

I don't know if I can do the full blown martial arts thing cause your right I might have a full blown attack. I do think i can benifit from it so I am going to give it a try.

Old 02-11-2004, 02:24 PM   #15
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: how can I stop these scary thoughts!

Quote:
    Thanks,

I don't know if I can do the full blown martial arts thing cause your right I might have a full blown attack. I do think i can benifit from it so I am going to give it a try.
    Dear beebsqtip,
    I think that you will find this rewarding. Have a nice day,

Sincerely,

Sickman

Closed Thread