It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Swallowing problems...please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2004, 12:24 PM   #1
    AUadamsfly

AUadamsfly HB User
    Swallowing problems...please help

Let me start off by saying since Oct.2003 I have had BAD health anxiety. I have never had this much stress before but it is a long story.
    I been having problems with my dry swallowing lately. I feel like I have a dry throat all the time but my mouth is wet with saliva. Sometimes when it is real dry, I try to dry swallow but it kind of just stops in the middle of the swallow. Then I freak out because I think I am choking. But when I eat and drink, it is fine. I believe because of the excess swallowing(I swallow all the time), I have given myself an extreme sore throat. Is the hanging up because of the dry throat? Do you have to have saliva to complete the swallow like that? I'm asking this because I have never paid attention to my swallowing and I don't know if you have to have a certain amount of saliva to complete the swallow. Has anyone ever experienced this? I have tried looking up stuff on dry throat but all I get is dry mouth info but my mouth is usually wet.
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 09:06 PM   #2
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Smile Re: Swallowing problems...please help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AUadamsfly
    Let me start off by saying since Oct.2003 I have had BAD health anxiety. I have never had this much stress before but it is a long story.
    I been having problems with my dry swallowing lately. I feel like I have a dry throat all the time but my mouth is wet with saliva. Sometimes when it is real dry, I try to dry swallow but it kind of just stops in the middle of the swallow. Then I freak out because I think I am choking. But when I eat and drink, it is fine. I believe because of the excess swallowing(I swallow all the time), I have given myself an extreme sore throat. Is the hanging up because of the dry throat? Do you have to have saliva to complete the swallow like that? I'm asking this because I have never paid attention to my swallowing and I don't know if you have to have a certain amount of saliva to complete the swallow. Has anyone ever experienced this? I have tried looking up stuff on dry throat but all I get is dry mouth info but my mouth is usually wet.
    Thanks!
    Dear AUadamsfly,
    I just posted a part of this on the panic topic so I am going to post again since it relates to you also:
    If I were you, I would have blood tests for thyroid problems which can be the cause of panic attacks. The second test would be an upper IG test to test for throat problems to the upper stomach level. As far as swallowing problems this is a symptom of what I will call anxiety, not actually panic attack in your case also. My wife who takes 60mg of prozac now had this problem years ago. It lasted for almost a year and she had several tests and they found nothing. It would not have lasted that long but until she excepted that it was anxiety it did not stop. She was on no medications at the time. This happens to me once in a while that I have to stop eating because I feel like I can't swallow right. I know it is my panic condition (your anxiety conditon) that is causing this. I just stop for awhile, forget about it and eat later. Sometimes I swallow something and I am convinced it is stuck in my throat but it is not. It again is just panic thoughts. Since you are having no problem eating or drinking I think that it is just anxiety thoughts causing this and you have actually developed an obsessive compulsive disorder to test your swallowing which is giving you a sore throat since doing so would natually create dry swallowing. The best thing for you to do is bring this up with the doctor and see if he or she thinks you need the tests. Don't except anything without tests or your Doctors advice. You will probably find it to be just anxiety thoughts and ocd, which you can beat when you except it for what it is. Nothing but fear alone. Go see your doctor and have a very nice day.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 02-12-2004, 06:23 AM   #3
    AUadamsfly

AUadamsfly HB User
    Re: Swallowing problems...please help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sickman
    Dear AUadamsfly,
    I just posted a part of this on the panic topic so I am going to post again since it relates to you also:
    If I were you, I would have blood tests for thyroid problems which can be the cause of panic attacks. The second test would be an upper IG test to test for throat problems to the upper stomach level. As far as swallowing problems this is a symptom of what I will call anxiety, not actually panic attack in your case also. My wife who takes 60mg of prozac now had this problem years ago. It lasted for almost a year and she had several tests and they found nothing. It would not have lasted that long but until she excepted that it was anxiety it did not stop. She was on no medications at the time. This happens to me once in a while that I have to stop eating because I feel like I can't swallow right. I know it is my panic condition (your anxiety conditon) that is causing this. I just stop for awhile, forget about it and eat later. Sometimes I swallow something and I am convinced it is stuck in my throat but it is not. It again is just panic thoughts. Since you are having no problem eating or drinking I think that it is just anxiety thoughts causing this and you have actually developed an obsessive compulsive disorder to test your swallowing which is giving you a sore throat since doing so would natually create dry swallowing. The best thing for you to do is bring this up with the doctor and see if he or she thinks you need the tests. Don't except anything without tests or your Doctors advice. You will probably find it to be just anxiety thoughts and ocd, which you can beat when you except it for what it is. Nothing but fear alone. Go see your doctor and have a very nice day.

Sincerely,

Sickman
    Dear Sickman,

Thanks for the reply. Did your wife actually have her swallowing reflex hang up on her occasionally? My happens sometimes and then others it doesn't.

Thanks,
    AUAdamsfly

Closed Thread