It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Zoloft / depersonalization question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2004, 08:02 AM   #1
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User
    Zoloft / depersonalization question

Hey -- I have problems with depersonalization/derealization ( i think that's a lot of my problem anyway -- could possibly be severe "brain fog") anyhow -- my doc started me on Lexapro and I absolutely couldn't handle the side effects. I am about to start on Zoloft and I am hoping it will help with my anxiety, but I'm wanting to know if it has helped anyone with the depersonalization/derealization? A lot of my anxiety comes from this detached feeling and I feel if I can rid myself of it, my anxiety would be better.

Anyhow, any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2004, 05:14 AM   #2
    Yashin

Yashin HB User
    Re: Zoloft / depersonalization question

I was on Zoloft for 7 weeks and the only thing it did for me was give me a bad case of the runs. Im now on effexor XR and i feel that my anxiety and derpression are worse then the have ever been. Im going to the pdoc next week.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
    angel30

angel30 HB User

Hello
    I'm sorry to hear about your problem, I'm struggling with the same problem since April 2003 and still donít know if anxiety brings the dp or vice versa. I donít mean to discourage you but I still didnít find my way out, and I still get freaked out every time when it comes. Iím not taking any drugs. Check this out, hope it will help [url]http://groups.msn.com/depersonalizationchatroom[/url]. All the best. Angel

Old 02-12-2004, 03:00 PM   #4
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

Thank you for your response. I will check the link out.
    Do you not take any meds at all? My doc has given me low doses of xanax to take when I do freak out and it definately helps the depersonalization, but I don't want to have to rely on this. I would love to just make it through a day without it hitting me.

Good luck to you. If the Zoloft helps me I will be sure to post here that it has helped.

Old 02-13-2004, 10:54 AM   #5
    angel30

angel30 HB User

Hi,
    No I donít take any medication, they prescribed Prozac and Xanax, the Prozac I couldnít take, the Xanax helped me a bit but is very addictive so I stopped. I'm trying to fight it without medication. Itís not easy but I hope that finally I will succeed. To be honest Iím afraid of taking med. Only thinking about meds I imagine myself taking those meds all my life. I read a few posts around here and people are on medication for 7-10 years. I just cannot accept that. Hope the Zolof will help you. Angel

Old 02-15-2004, 07:45 PM   #6
    fosters

fosters HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Zoloft / depersonalization question

I am currently taking Zoloft (25mg). I started out at 50mg and began feeling better within just a couple weeks. I still pop a .25mg xanax when i feel really out of it but, no complaints from the zoloft. I just lowered my dose to 25mg and still no probs. Have not had side effects at all...well, after missing a dose I did. Not as bad as missing a dose of Paxil but, still was not a great feeling Anyway, I think the Zoloft allowed me to "get my mind right" which in turn did wonders for my anxiety. It's very hard to be yourself when your body just won't give you 5 minutes to think about it.

I hope it works out for you!

Bill

Old 02-16-2004, 02:46 AM   #7
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

depersonalisation is often caused by anxiety, antidepressants sometimes reduce anxiety but can actually cause derealisation as an early side effect for the first few weeks, along with making the anxiety worse, xanax as needed will help, also look up lightheadedness, which can be confused with depersonalisation

obviously you need to relax and learn better stress managment skills

Old 02-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #8
    abbygirl2
    Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

I was on Zoloft for 4 yrs and it worked really well. I was recently switched to Paxil becuase it is supposed to be better for certain panic type disorders...ie..phobias. My Doc is also trying to find out if there is any connection between my cortisol levels and the attacks I have been getting lately.
    Anyway, I just wanted to tell you I had great results with the zoloft, and good luck.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:02 PM   #9
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

Thank you all for your resonses. I have high hopes that the Zoloft will work. I'm currently on 25mg (5th day) and while my anxiety and derealization are more acute, my panic attacks seem to have already lessened. I've not had any really bad side effects from the Zoloft except for the inability to sleep or get a good nights rest.

Thank you again for your responses.

Closed Thread