It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Exactly HOW does Xanax work ???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2004, 11:43 AM   #1
    chill200
    (female)

chill200 HB User
    Exactly HOW does Xanax work ???

Other than a severe problem with GAD, I am an otherwise healthy 45 year old female. I am relunctant to take xanax on a continuous daily basis. My doc wants me to take 1 mg morning and 1 mg evening. I have tried out with 1 mg per day total.....I try to skip the morning dose. Recently I've been under a tremendous amt of stress for multiple reasons.

This past Monday I went racing to the ER convinced I was having a heart attack (all the symptoms), but after a multitude of tests tests tests, everything was perfectly normal....didn't find anything.

Now here's the deal. When I DO take the xanax, I am extremely calm and can cope and even feel somewhat happy and content. When I don't take the xanax, I feel the anxiety, tension and stress creeping up more and more and more.

My questions: 1) does the xanax reduce the release of that cortisol stress hormone? or 2) does the xanax just calm you with no effect on the cortisol production at all ? I know the an overabundance amt of cortisol can be deadly if it's released over and over and over in our bodies.

Exactly how does xanax work do to calm me down so much ?

And also would it be beneficial for me to combine the xanax and klonopin so that I won't become too terribly dependent on any one in particular ??

PLEASE HELP WTH YOUR THOUGHTS AND IDEAS.....AT MY WITS END TO FIND SOMETHING THAT IS AN ACCEPTABLE SOLUTION!!!! My doc is a believer in prescribing meds if I would be open to accept that as a solution for my problem.

THANKS in advance for helping me,
    Cathy

The following user gives a hug of support to chill200:
    velia (04-26-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2004, 12:02 PM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: Exactly HOW does Xanax work ???

I'm afraid I won't be much help to you, because I have no idea HOW Xanax works.
    All I know is that it's the only thing that worked for me...I did try the non-medication route, but it didn't do a thing for me...although it works well for some people.

I took a very low dose...1/4MG twice a day...for a very long time...I had no problem with it and weaned off with no problem..although some people do have a hard time doing that.

As for taking Xanax and Klonopin I really don't have any idea about that either, they're both benzo's and I've never heard of taking two benzos at the same time.

Hopefully someone else can be of more help to you...just wanted to throw my two cents in.

Old 02-27-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

xanax only lasts about 2 to 3 hours so 3 doses on a stressful day, at say 9am, 12noon and 3pm seem indicated

not much point in taking it at night unless you cant get off to sleep
    since xanax works quickly if dissolved under the tongue, you can always carry a few tablets with you for unexpected anxiety
    klonapin is also a benzo but a dose lasts longer, they both go together OK, many take both

the ER visit was likely a panic attack, these often cause 'heart attack' symptoms

I dont know how they work, something to do with binding to receptors

Old 02-27-2004, 01:51 PM   #4
    jc001

jc001 HB User

Quote:
    Exactly HOW does Xanax work ???
    The real truth is nobody knows exactly how benzodiazepines work ... they're considered black-magic in many farmacology books.

What matters is they seem to work for short periods of time.

Old 02-27-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
    angelkitty081

angelkitty081 HB User

Xanax does work and I'm not sure exactly how but they can be very addictive. If you are worried about that they also have an anxiety medication called Buspar. It's not addictive and works well. It takes 4-6 weeks to see results but it helps. Read up on it and see what you think. Good Luck

Old 02-27-2004, 08:02 PM   #6
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

You DON'T want to become dependent on Xanax. It is a very incidious drug. It will trick you. Of all of the drugs that I have ever taken it is the only drug that beat me. I have tried for eleven year to stop this drug. I have been an addict before so I know addiction and withdrawls. I wean myself down from eight a day to a half a day over a long period of time. Then when I quit I can't sleep. I take one and just like an alcoholic you go back to the number that you tolerated before you quit. But, luckily you can't overdose on them.

One time I quit and thought that I had it beat. My shoulder started hurting. I had had surgery on my shoulder previously so thought that it was acting up. I went to the emergency room as I could not stand the pain. The doctor took my history. He told me to take a Xanax and see if that worked. It did. The drug has a mind of it's own. Once you are hooked it will do anything to keep you hooked. Everyone that I have talked to that has tried to get off of them experiences that same thing. Good part, won't get you high or kill you, bad part? one of the most addictive drugs known to man, worse then heroin. I beat heroin. I can't beat this one. If anyone knows of a way to do it, let me know.

Xanax works immediately if you put it under your tongue. Buspar takes too long to work. By the time that it builds up in your system, your anxiety is gone.

I have searched high and low for side effects to Xanax and can't find any long term ones.

Old 02-28-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
    KayT
    Veteran

KayT HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by injured betty
    You DON'T want to become dependent on Xanax. It is a very incidious drug. It will trick you. Of all of the drugs that I have ever taken it is the only drug that beat me. I have tried for eleven year to stop this drug. I have been an addict before so I know addiction and withdrawls. I wean myself down from eight a day to a half a day over a long period of time. Then when I quit I can't sleep. I take one and just like an alcoholic you go back to the number that you tolerated before you quit. But, luckily you can't overdose on them.

One time I quit and thought that I had it beat. My shoulder started hurting. I had had surgery on my shoulder previously so thought that it was acting up. I went to the emergency room as I could not stand the pain. The doctor took my history. He told me to take a Xanax and see if that worked. It did. The drug has a mind of it's own. Once you are hooked it will do anything to keep you hooked. Everyone that I have talked to that has tried to get off of them experiences that same thing. Good part, won't get you high or kill you, bad part? one of the most addictive drugs known to man, worse then heroin. I beat heroin. I can't beat this one. If anyone knows of a way to do it, let me know.

Xanax works immediately if you put it under your tongue. Buspar takes too long to work. By the time that it builds up in your system, your anxiety is gone.

I have searched high and low for side effects to Xanax and can't find any long term ones.

HI Betty,

I was wondering how long you were on the Xanax and was 8mg a day your highest dose? I have been on the Xanax for a little over 2 months now and was up to 4mg per day (6mg for a day or two but that zonked me to much). I am now down to 2mg per day.........and when I drop it to 1.5 my body reacts.......racing thoughts.........shakiness..........so my pdoc is going to taper me very slowly down the road once I am off Zoloft and Ambien........(I know, what a mess, to many meds tapering here, that's why he's doing it one at a time). So sorry to ramble...........I was just curious, because I have only been on this for a short time and it seems to have already grabbed on to me........I am glad to be down to 2mg but am going to stick there for a while........

Thanks in advance for any info or advise you might have,

Kaytee

Old 02-28-2004, 09:02 PM   #8
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=KayT]HI Betty,

I was wondering how long you were on the Xanax and was 8mg a day your highest dose? I have been on the Xanax for a little over 2 months now and was up to 4mg per day (6mg for a day or two but that zonked me to much). I am now down to 2mg per day.........and when I drop it to 1.5 my body reacts.......racing thoughts.........shakiness..........so my pdoc is going to taper me very slowly down the road once I am off Zoloft and Ambien........(I know, what a mess, to many meds tapering here, that's why he's doing it one at a time). So sorry to ramble...........I was just curious, because I have only been on this for a short time and it seems to have already grabbed on to me........I am glad to be down to 2mg but am going to stick there for a while........

Thanks in advance for any info or advise you might have,

I have been on Xanax for about ten/eleven years now. Eight was the highest except when I took an entire bottle just to see what it would do. When I hit eight it makes me feel like a walking chemical bottle. I don't feel over medicated, I just feel like I can taste Xanax with every breath.

That is Xanax, it grabs you right out of the gate. I swore that I was not an addict but I can't seem to get away from them. I use them for sleep. If I taper of and get down to a quarter and then none, I can't sleep. I have tried substituting other things for it, alcohol, pot, prescription sleeping pills, over the counter sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, etc. Nothing that I have used works. I went to an addiction counselor who wanted to do an inpatient withdrawl program. My insurance only covers that one time and then they don't pay all of it. I wanted to save that for something else. I have been completley off of Xanax several times but each and everytime I can't sleep or or some old injury flares up and the only thing that works is Xanax. They warned me before I first started taking it. I thought that it could not get me. I wallked away from so many addictions in my life without looking back. This is one drug that won't let me. I have tried the ten step recovery, etc.
    Since you are new to this drug you might still be able to walk away. After you taper down if you can sleep then you have come farther than I seem to be able to come.
    I have not had a real night's sleep in ten or eleven years. I haven't fallen asleep naturally in that long. Sad, huh..... I am thinking about asking my doctor for Ambien but that is just another addiction and I understand that you can accidently kill yourself with that one. I like a drug that won't kill me overnight.

Is the Zoloft for depression? If he takes you off of that your body might scream for more Xanax, I know that mine did when I quit anti-depressants. They set up this strange coctail. Anti-depressants for depression or OCD or Social Anxiety Disorder. Those have a side effects of jitters or not being able to sleep so they add in Xanax or some other drug for sleep. Then they wonder how to wean you off of all of these.

Old 02-28-2004, 09:43 PM   #9
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

Betty I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.
    I just can't understand how a Doctor could ever let someone take 8MG of Xanax a day..IMO that person shouldn't be in the Medical field at all.
    I guess I had a very smart Doctor when he gave me the pills he told me that just because the bottle said I could take up to 1MG a day didn't mean I had to take that much, he said that if I could take less that was great, but to never take more...and I never did.
    There were times that I think I probably would have taken more, but everytime that thought entered my mind I'd hear my Doctor's voice telling me to NEVER take more.
    I had 1/2 MG. pills and I used to cut those in half, I took half in the morning and the other half in the early evening.
    I know now what powerful thing are minds are.
    I took them everyday for 7 years, but I didn't know that they only lasted 4 to 6 hours so I guess that since I didn't know that, my mind believed that the pill was still working some 8 or 9 hours later, when really it wasn't there any more.
    I'd take it at 8 in the morning and not take the other 1/4 MG until about 5 in the afternoon and I never felt shakey or anything, I never felt it wear off and like I said I now believe that I didn't feel it because I was convinced it was still there.

I weaned off of them without any problems at all, but I did it very slowly.
    My Doctor told me that if there came a time that I thought I couldn't go any lower then to just stay were I was for a week or two longer so that's what I did.

I did take a very low dose, so I think that's probably why they never got me.

Again, I'm so sorry that you're going through this and as for the Doctor who allowed you to take 8MG a day I can't put into words what I think of him...well I could, but I'm a lady!!!!

Old 02-29-2004, 05:28 PM   #10
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graciecat
    Betty I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.
    I just can't understand how a Doctor could ever let someone take 8MG of Xanax a day..IMO that person shouldn't be in the Medical field at all.
    I guess I had a very smart Doctor when he gave me the pills he told me that just because the bottle said I could take up to 1MG a day didn't mean I had to take that much, he said that if I could take less that was great, but to never take more...and I never did.
    There were times that I think I probably would have taken more, but everytime that thought entered my mind I'd hear my Doctor's voice telling me to NEVER take more.
    I had 1/2 MG. pills and I used to cut those in half, I took half in the morning and the other half in the early evening.
    I know now what powerful thing are minds are.
    I took them everyday for 7 years, but I didn't know that they only lasted 4 to 6 hours so I guess that since I didn't know that, my mind believed that the pill was still working some 8 or 9 hours later, when really it wasn't there any more.
    I'd take it at 8 in the morning and not take the other 1/4 MG until about 5 in the afternoon and I never felt shakey or anything, I never felt it wear off and like I said I now believe that I didn't feel it because I was convinced it was still there.

I weaned off of them without any problems at all, but I did it very slowly.
    My Doctor told me that if there came a time that I thought I couldn't go any lower then to just stay were I was for a week or two longer so that's what I did.

I did take a very low dose, so I think that's probably why they never got me.

Again, I'm so sorry that you're going through this and as for the Doctor who allowed you to take 8MG a day I can't put into words what I think of him...well I could, but I'm a lady!!!!
    Everyone's body works diffferently and it sounds like you were taking them for different reasons than I was. I started taking them to get some sleep and to take the edge off of the Prozac. After my fiance' died I was pretty suicidal I guess. Not that I was trying to kill myself, just saw no reason to live. This was not even a conscious decision, my body just shut down. I manged to stop the Prozac but was hooked on the Xanax by then. Eight is a huge number to take all at once but my body built up a tolerance. I never take them while I am up. I tried that one time. My daugher wanted a ride to school. I totaled my husband's new truck on a telephone pole.

If I had not been an addict when I was young my body would synthesize drugs/meds differently. The doctor went into a long explaination about drug addiction and the way that the liver handles them. Because I was a heavy drug user long ago when it sees drugs coming it synthesizes them quickly. I am not sure what kind of damage this is doing to my liver.

I have yet to find a drug that zonks me out, lucky you

I have started experimenting with dosages these past few days. Last night I took two mg at bed time and then put another one under my tongue. I was able to sleep all night but then my day was filled with anxiety attacks.

You are lucky in that you didn't have to wean yourself off of as many as I am on, but if you look at it in perspective my tolerance is so high that it really doesn't matter how many I am taking, it will just take longer to taper down. I usually do this one mg each week. Then at the end I go from 1/2 to 1/4 to none, then no sleep for a few days....and then back on.

I have tried to pot for sleep to replace Xanax. One hit and I am asleep, two hits and I am eating everything in site so that didn't work for me.

My goal is to be drug free by June. My doctor told me that he would rather see my take these my whole entire life than to suffer from no sleep as that leads to periods of sleep depravation and insanity for me. I have to agree. I think that I will always be on something.

Closed Thread