It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Does anyone take xanax and SAMe ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2004, 08:17 AM   #1
    zzzzlady

zzzzlady HB User
    Does anyone take xanax and SAMe ?

I am on a moderate does of xanax (actually it's a high does in my opinion, but doc says it's not). I take 2 mg per day (1 am, 1 pm). I intend to ask my doc if I can cut back on the xanax and possible supplement with SAMe to help wean off some of the xanax. Does anyone have experience with SAMe ? I know there are lots of anti-d's that can be taken together with xanax. Is SAMe one of them?

I'll speak to my doc about this next week, but just thought I could get a heads up before I meet with him.

Thanks everyone !

Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2004, 08:33 AM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: Does anyone take xanax and SAMe ?

You may want to head over to the "Panic Disorders" board and read a thread called..."combining different meds and natural remedies"...it's about someone who tried to take this SAMe stuff with an SSRI and it didn't work out very well.
    I don't know if you can mix it with a Benzo or not, but to be very frank I'd never do it at least not until you find out what the possible interactions might be.

Last edited by Graciecat; 02-28-2004 at 08:33 AM.

Old 02-29-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

both meds would be OK i think, some say sam e reduces anxiety, if it does for you, then less xanax will be needed

sam e isnt generally classed as an antidepressant, its a naturapathic med

Old 03-02-2004, 08:07 AM   #4
    cowgal

cowgal HB User

Have been taking SAMe for a year now but haven't noticed too much help with anything other than the joint health. Went off ad's about 10 years ago after being on them for 7 years, and was getting bad enough around 6 months ago, thought I'd have to go back on them so the SAMe didn't help that much. Did start taking one of those cortisol control products and it helped immensely with the problems sleeping. Worked so well for me, my husband even started taking it. They advertise these products for weight loss which is a joke, almost none of the folks on this board had any losses to report, but nearly all of us reported better stress management and improved sleep. The cortisol products are all herbal blends. Love the SAMe for my joints but didn't do a thing for mood control in my case. Good luck, know how debilitating stress/anxiety/depression can be. cg

Closed Thread