It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety & Stress or something else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
    TC88
    (female)

TC88 HB User
    Unhappy Anxiety & Stress or something else?

Hi, I'm a new member here. Although I've been reading the boards for some time I've never had the courage to sign up until now!

I have suffered from anxiety/stress/panic attacks for many years now and I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced skin itching as a symptom? I've had this for a few days but have have been feeling very low and miserable for a few weeks now; it's starting to get to me and I've had a couple of panic attacks over it.

To make matters worse a work colleague told me that her brother had the same sort of problem and after a few weeks he got totally fed up with it and went to see his Doctor for advice - long story short he was diagnosed with leukemia and died 3 months later! So now my brain has completely taken over, panic has set in and I'm convinced I have the same illness and will not be around for very much longer. Do you think it is something I should be worried about and go see my Doc straight away or could it just be my anxiety playing tricks on me? Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
    kutekittey

kutekittey HB User
    Re: Anxiety & Stress or something else?

Hi there I think you are going be just fine. But i do think just for peace of mind you should go and talk with your doctor. And then you will see everything is fine. I too let my panic and anxiety get the best of me. It was just this morning that I had that very weird deathly feeling and was totally convinced that i was just going to die at any moment. But you know what I didnt. I know how you feel just be tough, go see your doctor and it will be A ok. Oh and by the way I have this really bad itch under my arm and on my thigh that i have had for a week now. Please take care. and have faith.
    Love Sarah

Old 03-30-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
    mandi-deg

mandi-deg HB User

I just read your post and of course its always good to check with your doctor if it is major skin irritation but I do know you can break out in rashes from stress and anxiety. My psychiatrist told me a lot of psychiatrists also minor in dermatology because they see a lot of patients that have all kinds of skin problems due to anxiety and stress.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:02 AM   #4
    Rick7799
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Rick7799 HB User

I have a problem with stress and anxiety with many symptoms that come and go. My skin itching is just one of them. Not all the time, in fact it just happens once in a while but when it does it's really intense. Do go and get checked out because the more you worry with stress and anxiety the worse the symptoms get. I know first hand from this.

Old 03-31-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
    TC88
    (female)

TC88 HB User

Thanks for the positive responses. I took everyone's advice and went to see my Doc this morning and he told me the same thing that you guys all did! It's nothing to worry about and just symptoms of my anxiety and being a little depressed at the present time. I feel a lot better for having gone to see him; it's funny how the brain can make you think that you have something nasty and when you are told that you haven't the symptoms ease or disappear completely - I haven't had so much itching since I left the Docs... how silly is that?!?!? Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:52 PM   #6
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TC88
    Thanks for the positive responses. I took everyone's advice and went to see my Doc this morning and he told me the same thing that you guys all did! It's nothing to worry about and just symptoms of my anxiety and being a little depressed at the present time. I feel a lot better for having gone to see him; it's funny how the brain can make you think that you have something nasty and when you are told that you haven't the symptoms ease or disappear completely - I haven't had so much itching since I left the Docs... how silly is that?!?!? Thanks again.
    Though I never really experienced many skin related problems.... I was convinced I had just about every serious ailment under the sun for many years. I eventually learned it has little to do with the symptoms and everything to do with the way I was thinking about the symptoms. CBT has since changed my life. Thanks to the tools I learned to think more clearly and accurately about things and once I did my anxiety miraculously began to lift before my eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. You may also want to check with the university in your area as many have CBT programs for little or no cost. Take care.

Billy

Old 04-01-2004, 04:30 AM   #7
    TC88
    (female)

TC88 HB User

Thanks Billy, I'll check to see if there are any CBT programs in my area.

I've found this morning however that now I'm not itching so much something else has come up! I went to bed last night perfectly OK and when I woke this morning my right leg was throbbing and tingling with pain and I have a small lump on my calf surrounded by a bruise that have appeared from nowhere. I haven't bumped my leg at all and was wondering if it is just one of those things and to ignore it and see if it gets better or get it checked; I seem to have gone back to where I started! Has anyone else had bruises appear for no apparent reason?

My friends have told me I should go straight to the Docs (even though I only went yesterday!) because it could be a sign or something really serious - which of course helps my state of mind no end!!

Old 04-02-2004, 04:54 PM   #8
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TC88
    Thanks Billy, I'll check to see if there are any CBT programs in my area.

I've found this morning however that now I'm not itching so much something else has come up! I went to bed last night perfectly OK and when I woke this morning my right leg was throbbing and tingling with pain and I have a small lump on my calf surrounded by a bruise that have appeared from nowhere. I haven't bumped my leg at all and was wondering if it is just one of those things and to ignore it and see if it gets better or get it checked; I seem to have gone back to where I started! Has anyone else had bruises appear for no apparent reason?

My friends have told me I should go straight to the Docs (even though I only went yesterday!) because it could be a sign or something really serious - which of course helps my state of mind no end!!
    Hi TC88-
    I hope you get involved in CBT as it will change your life if you work at it. I used to go running to the Doc all the time at the first sign of things and now I probably err in the other direction as I have been in need of a minor surgical procedure for six months and I just keep ignoring it and putting it off eventhough it is getting worse as it is just to much of a bother for me now
    I never tell anyone not to get things checked because I would feel horrible if I did and it turned out to be something serious but odds are it is a freak occurence and you will likely be fine.
    That was one of the tough things for me too... I'd go to the doctor to get checked for something they'd say I was fine which comforted me for a short time then I would be back at the doctor again for the same thing and this went on and on. Finally someone pointed out that all the x-rays and ct scans etc were more likely to harm me and shorten my life more than any of the imagined diseases etc.
    So in short I know what you are going through and I had a hard time fighting the urge to go back to the doc until I learned the tools in CBT that taught me how to be more objective and ease my fears. You can beat this thing and it will take some effort but probably not as much effort as you imagine it will take Take care and keep in touch!

Billy

Old 04-02-2004, 10:58 PM   #9
    Elana

Elana HB User

You may want to see a dermatologist but get involved in a cbt program. The way you are thinking may be your biggest problem and it teaches you how to think more clearly. I got involved in a cbt group last summer and learned how to retrain my brain through the simple exercises they taught us. My anxiety level is way lower than before. The tools teach you how to keep your thoughts from getting you all wound up and miserable. The two books we used in my group are really really good and I would recommend them both highly: Been there, done that? do this! By Sam Obitz and Mastery of your Anxiety and Panic-Third Edition by Michelle Craske and David Barlow which focusses on panic disorder which I also suffered from, but have not had a single attack since the group

Old 04-03-2004, 09:34 AM   #10
    kamochyk

kamochyk HB User

i have skin itching !
    i never thought it could be related, i guess it makes more sence now
    i always thought maybe i was alergic to cotton or something.
    sometimes the itching is so bad that i get little rashes.
    for me the itching kinda feels like little bugs or something, really i dotn no how to explain it, it mostly is on my back, i have a hard time sitting against things becuase thats when it flares up.

Old 04-16-2004, 03:48 PM   #11
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kamochyk
    i have skin itching !
    i never thought it could be related, i guess it makes more sence now
    i always thought maybe i was alergic to cotton or something.
    sometimes the itching is so bad that i get little rashes.
    for me the itching kinda feels like little bugs or something, really i dotn no how to explain it, it mostly is on my back, i have a hard time sitting against things becuase thats when it flares up.
    I hope you find something that works for your itching, whether it is CBT or something else

Closed Thread